Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
It would be nice if Apple put a countdown for Lion on their homepage.. saying that if it's not coming until next friday we may well see one.. at least we know where we are!!

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Say it ain't so! Maybe because they are waiting to get a large enough catalogue of lion-optimized apps?

I imagine that they want to at least have "some" apps designed specifically for Lion before they launch it. Most apps will probably run fine on Lion with no modifications, but they wont be using Lion's features either.

It is now after 12:00am PST. Checked apple.com, and the App Store. Still no sign of Lion.

It's 12am... Do you know where your Lion is? :D

This is reference, for those who don't get it. Don't worry, I know where my Lion is.

babboxy

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
great, no new air means no computer to lug around on my 6 weeks motorbike trip.

I'll just be offline, screw my boss!!

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
AppleWorks will not run on Lion.

When you run a law office and you have over 10,000 files in AppleWorks, you use it everyday for work, and then Lion comes out and DOES NOT support ANY PowerPC apps at ALL....then you are up a creek without a paddle. You just don't upgrade to Lion.

This is the situation my Dad is in right now with his old White Core 2 Duo iMac, running Snow Leopard and AppleWorks, which he has been running his law practice on since the old G3 iMac.

drewisanapple

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2011
Missouri
It is now after 12:00am PST. Checked apple.com, and the App Store. Still no sign of Lion.

I think 10 am PST is a little more keen to the time of releases.
That being said, I posted earlier that all my release emails from app are time dated at 4-5 am PST.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
AppleWorks will not run on Lion.

When you run a law office and you have over 10,000 files in AppleWorks, you use it everyday for work, and then Lion comes out and DOES NOT support ANY PowerPC apps at ALL....then you are up a creek without a paddle. You just don't upgrade to Lion.

This is the situation my Dad is in right now with his old White Core 2 Duo iMac, running Snow Leopard and AppleWorks, which he has been running his law practice on since the old G3 iMac.

Will my AppleWorks documents open in iWork ‘09?
Yes, iWork ‘09 can open AppleWorks word-processing, spreadsheet, and presentation documents. It does not contain a database application and does not open database files.

http://www.apple.com/support/appleworks/faq/

Time to upgrade methinks.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Pages is more of a Page Layout Application like Adobe PageMaker. It is not a general Word Processing app like ClarisWorks or AppleWorks was for documents. That is why he might not like to use iWork, it is a totally different thing. He uses AppleWorks to print envelopes and legal format documents as well.

Apple yanked Rosetta support from Lion altogether (for good)...and now people that reply on PowerPC applications, some good apps which were never ported to intel (like AppleWorks), are left sitting in the dust.

Dropping of Rosetta support is the single worst thing Apple did with Lion. It will make a great number of people not want to upgrade.

Portal83

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2009
Remind me why I should be excited for Lion?

For $29.99 I'll buy it but I'm hardly losing sleep over its release. Rumors are rumors but I won't be surprised if it comes next week. I really don't care.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Well I just deleted my .DS_Store files (among other things) so it does work again. (Without Command) I do not know what made it impossible to simply drag items out of the sidebar.

You keep acting as if it is a bug. That "feature" has been implemented from snow leopard onwards. It has nothing to do with Lion. They are protected from being removed by simply dragging them now, for whatever reason.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Pages is more of a Page Layout Application like Adobe PageMaker. It is not a general Word Processing app like ClarisWorks or AppleWorks was for documents. That is why he might not like to use iWork, it is a totally different thing. He uses AppleWorks to print envelopes and legal format documents as well.

Apple yanked Rosetta support from Lion altogether (for good)...and now people that reply on PowerPC applications, some good apps which were never ported to intel (like AppleWorks), are left sitting in the dust.

Dropping of Rosetta support is the single worst thing Apple did with Lion. It will make a great number of people not want to upgrade.

This is true... Unfortunately though, Apple had to choose between going the Windows route and supporting apps from 6 years ago, or dropping support. Bloat is never a good thing, and Mac OS's lack of it is one of its charms. There may yet be a way to run PowerPC apps on Lion though. Just because Apple drops support, doesn't mean some hacker out there wont find a way. Porting Rosetta to Lion is a possibility.

MacRum2011

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2011
Why the secret!!!

I was predicting myself that it would be week 3 or week 4 of July.
To be honest I think Apple are just childish in keeping the release date hidden. Who really cares? I would be surprised if it did actually come out tomorrow.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
I was predicting myself that it would be week 3 or week 4 of July.
To be honest I think Apple are just childish in keeping the release date hidden. Who really cares? I would be surprised if it did actually come out tomorrow.

They keep it secret so people keep talking about it and anticipating it.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Don't you guys know? All of this Lion stuff is a hoax, Steve Jobs is going to surprise us with the "next big thing" tomorrow, and it will blow your socks off...

I thought Apple had an aversion to the number 8 of late.
Quicktime 7 --> Quicktime X
FCP 7--> FCP X
iPod Classic stuck on 6th Gen (but 4th gen was two) so no 8th iPod.
OS X x.8 releases have always had weird new bugs.
They called their Soc the A4 even thought it had an A8 arm core.

Maybe they are scared from the whole OS 8 thing.

So Lion is the last of the X cats and it'll be replaced by something new not iOS as it'll be to close to the dreaded "8" then too.

I miss the Apple key:

Sorry the Closed Apple key was cooler :D

Virgin805

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2011
Italy
Release sickness

For those who suffer from "release sickness" I suggest to carefully listen at the exact words used by Apple (read Jobs). OS X Lion will be released in July. July is a month that goes from July 1st to July 31st extremes included. So Apple could release its new OS even the 31st!

Be patient and in the mean while don't forget to make a complete backup. You never know...

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
Hmm I remember Snow Leopard releasing on a Friday. That made it easy for people to check it out at retail stores. I wonder if they'll follow that (I'm thinking July 29th).

To my memory, the last few OS updates have been Fridays, I remember having to go to the local FedEx or UPS to pick up mine when I missed the delivery guy.

Just tossing it out there; didn't iOS 4 download prior to the iPhone 4 (software before hardware for supported idevices). I could see the Macs be released with 'a' GM Lion tuesday, and then mass downloads on Friday. I think the report tuesday would be great for the announcement 'we have the best line-up with our newly announced macs, and our customers with older macs can upgrade Friday at the breakthrough price of 29.99'.

Can't come soon enough huh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.