Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RustProof

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2011
Why should I care about Lion? Seriously. This is the first OS that Apple is releasing that just doesn't seem to be worth the hype. It's going to be just like iOS and rely heavily on the app store. Not sure I like the direction Apple is taking their Mac OS. Enlighten me!

It just works.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
I don't really see the great benefits of migrating to OSX Lion are?. Currently i'm a Snow Leopard user and have had the opportunity of testing the OSX Lion GM. Unlike like previous version of OSX it lacks the 'under the bonnet' improvements that would convince me of switching to it.

I agree. It seems that people who are going to benefit the most from Lion are those who don't actually get any work done on their computers.

Hero887

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2008
It is only a new OS nothing really amazing to get excited about, chill people lol.

Snow Leopard was released not that long ago.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Why should I care about Lion? Seriously. This is the first OS that Apple is releasing that just doesn't seem to be worth the hype. It's going to be just like iOS and rely heavily on the app store. Not sure I like the direction Apple is taking their Mac OS. Enlighten me!
I agree with you about the iOS direction and the app store.
I'll wait and read the reports and reviews before I make any decision.

It just works.
Uh huh… so does 10.6.8

I agree. It seems that people who are going to benefit the most from Lion are those who don't actually get any work done on their computers.
This could well be true. There is a lot of mac fetishism out there.

Don.Key

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
It just works.

And, as many people on the net have already said: It will be a VISTA of OS X..

Contrary to all previous OSX releases there is hardly any reason to switch from SL. In fact, the trouble of migration outweighs benefits for us.

I'd be "downgrading" my new Air to SL when it comes.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
As I pointed out here, previous versions of OS X have got releases that were always in the twenty-somethings.

As user djrod then pointed out in this reply, all the releases except 10.1 were on a Friday.

So, if Apple sticks to that pattern, we have the 22nd and 29th July as Fridays in the twenty-somethings.

Of course all that means nothing if Lion gets released today :p

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK

Contrary to all previous OSX releases there is hardly any reason to switch from SL. In fact, the trouble of migration outweighs benefits for us.

Funny that, everyone said the same thing when SL first came out.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Not sure why people don't get this yet, but once Apple posts the date for the financial conference call, THEY DO NOT RELEASE NEW PRODUCTS UNTIL AFTER THE CALL. The only thing that may come out before next Tuesday is Lion, possibly released via the app store tomorrow...but I highly doubt it.

Next week, likely Wed or Thurs will be the date. Can't wait to get my hands on a new Mac Mini!
:D

Samsumac

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Leopard Service pack 2 (aka Lion) does not really interest me. Let's see the new computer hardware...

wentwj

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006

This doesn't make any sense. I don't see Lion having a huge list of features of SL, but it certainly has some. Especially in the productivity area. Running Lion on my current gen MBA is an entirely different experience with the full screen apps and three finger swipe to switch between workspaces.

People seem to be getting way to hung up on the iOS style app launcher and thinking Lion is some iOS bastardization.

In fact I'd say the opposite, those who don't get work done will see little benefit to Lion. It's biggest improvements (full screen apps, mission control, air drop, fast app switching, auto-save, resume) are all massive wins on the productivity front. If anything Lion lacks a flashy new UI to convince non-productivity centered people to buy it. All it really has in that department is the iOS style launcher, which at the end of the day amounts to basically a new folder view.

RustProof

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2011
Is that the best you can come up with? So does Snow Leopard... try again.

Lion is the king my friend.

Lion as we know it is just a update, there will be things that you will like using in it and many you may find useless. Lion is the steeping stone to many other great things that Snow Leopard will not be getting.

MyopiaRocks

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2010
Of course not! Quarterly Earnings Blackout!

Apple's reporting earnings next week. To oversimplify: the SEC puts restrictions on what can happen the weeks before a public company releases earnings reports. While this doesn't specifically preclude companies from releasing new products, Apple has historically waited until just after their report (b'tween a day and a week) to release new products.

Don't believe me? It's easy to check: Look at the release dates for apple hardware and software the last 2-3 years. Now look at Apple's quarterly conference call dates. The former did not happen just before the latter. They're playing it safe, and with the SEC going around playing bad cop nowadays who can blame them?

We'll get this all next week, or the week after at the latest, just after the report. No rumors/hearsay/super-secret-double-probation-appleleaks needed to unscramble this davinci code....

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007

And those that are saying this is Apple's Vista are utterly wrong.

Vista gained its reputation for being largely broken at launch. Performance was dreadful, serious issues affected basic operations such as file copying, User Account Control was far too intrusive, drivers were either very early or simply didn't exist... the list of problems went on and on. To be fair Microsoft addressed many of those issues as time went by and the Vista many people are still running today is a much improved beast compared to the launch product. The damage was already done though and people stayed away not because it didn't offer anything new but because they viewd it as a broken product when their existing XP systems were working fine. Of course the rather large price tag for upgrades may also have had something to do with it...

Now on to Lion. In many ways this is the biggest set of improvements to OS X for several versions. Versions, Resume and Auto-save alone represent a major change to the user experience and a welcome one. Improved multi-touch gestures, launchpad, mission control and full screen apps are all interesting features that will work very well for some and be more-or-less ignored by others. Considering this is a mature desktop OS (let's face it, almost all current desktop OS's are now mature products with very little missing functionality) this is a surprisingly large move forward.

I can certainly understand why certain users can't see any major reason to upgrade but ultimately that's personal preference / requirements rather than an overall judgement on the product. For the average user there's more than enough here to justify the very small outlay. Heck even Paul Thurrott has given Lion a positive review! "Apple's Vista" it most certainly isn't.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003

I assume that you've never had to struggle with PGP on your Mac. I'd upgrade to Lion even if FileVault whole disk encryption were the only new feature.

throttlemeister

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2009
Netherlands
Funny, last I checked Lion was an Operating System. I don't know about you, but when I get actual work done I don't work with the OS, but with applications running on said OS. The OS is just present on the background to enable me running those applications. It seems that people who are shouting the loudest on how much crap Lion is, are those who don't actually get any work done on their computers. They're too busy worrying about the OS to actually use real applications.:rolleyes::D

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Your memory must not go back to the Snow Leopard release. Big disappointment for many b/c most of the changes were invisible under the hood and, at the time, unsupported by existing s/w. That plus the fact many 3rd party peripheral manufacturers & s/w devs were late w/ compatible drivers and plugins.

But hype is a product of the imagination. Either you are excited about something or not. Companies push out as much PR as possible as a catalyst but ultimately it's up to the person to want something. There is a lot of good tech inside 10.7. that comes with the window dressing you don't care for. If Lion doesn't blow your whistle, that's legit. However, it is the future. Time will come when you'll have no choice but to use it or Win 7/8.

As for relying on the App Store, it's not just Apple. That is the way s/w is going to be sold, PC or Mac. It's a model that works w/ music, movies, iOS and Android apps, and now its moving towards Mac/PCs. At some point in the next 10 years the PC OS and mobile OS are going to merge.

Friday has been a traditional launch day for Mac OS X. However, someone else pointed out that Apple never releases s/w or h/w just before a quarterly conf. call. I suspect Apple will hold off until after next Tue's call b/c if something goes FUBAR w/ the launch that is all the analysts will talk about which isn't the headline Apple wants.

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2010
Point to note that Lion is more demanding on your hardware than Snow Leopard, I tested it on a Macbook Pro, Core 2 Duo 2.4, with Nvidia 320M, 4Gb Ram. While it is fair to say it was running perfect, it would be obvious to most users that I was not as fast as Snow Leopard. The heavy emphasis on Ui and excessive use of onscreen animations and transition effects adopted from iOS platform making OSX look gimicky.

Did you also notice any rise in temperatures/fan noise when compared to SL? (while doing the same things, of course). I have the same MBP13.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
Am I the only one that reads this

I hope you guys don't lose too much sleep waiting for the new Macs and Lion tomorrow :)

As more of a friendly bit of banter about not being able to sleep whilst being excited about something, rather than it meaning that your fretting is futile as it's not going to happen?

Either way, it's still only about 4:30 am in Cupertino. I'd imagine we'll have to wait for California to get out of bed before we really know.

Patdt13

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2008
Leopard Service pack 2 (aka Lion) does not really interest me. Let's see the new computer hardware...

07%20cool%20story%20bro.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.