Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shaunomacx

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
Portsmouth
I have a friend that is telling me that OS X 10.7 will be the last release of Mac OS X, from then on it will be the iOS ported to the computers to take over from Mac OS, it will like Mac iOS v11.0

I don't necessarily agree with him on this, I think there will be a 10.8 and 10.9, but who knows.

I have friends too. Some work for Apple and even THEY don't have a clue. They really don't.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
It's kind of disappointing not to see it in the Mac App Store this morning but it's not the end of the world. I've now seen a few people mentioning July 19. I guess there's only one way to find out... wait and see, unfortunately :)

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
I was predicting myself that it would be week 3 or week 4 of July.
To be honest I think Apple are just childish in keeping the release date hidden. Who really cares? I would be surprised if it did actually come out tomorrow.

Actually I honestly think that this approach is the best when it comes to large scale software releases as it gives a bit of flexibility in the launch window. I'm sure Apple will have targeted a launch date sometime in the middle of the month internally but having a "July" window for launch means they can pause the rollout if anything major crops up at the last minute (or they figure out a minor yet annoying bug and decicde there's minimal chance of a problem from including it in the release version).

Ultimately Apple have said July so it's safest to work on the 31st being the release date. Any earlier than that and it's a nice surprise.

nathan sz

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2007
most of lion works good enough for the average user

safari 5.1,however, is not ready for public consumption

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Actually I honestly think that this approach is the best when it comes to large scale software releases as it gives a bit of flexibility in the launch window. I'm sure Apple will have targeted a launch date sometime in the middle of the month internally but having a "July" window for launch means they can pause the rollout if anything major crops up at the last minute (or they figure out a minor yet annoying bug and decicde there's minimal chance of a problem from including it in the release version).

Ultimately Apple have said July so it's safest to work on the 31st being the release date. Any earlier than that and it's a nice surprise.

That exactly.

And on a final analysis, it's not fair at all when people expecting from Apple to apologize for third-party rumors or to catch a rumored-release-date.

"Apple release date rumors" is a world-wide sport, but it is NOT made by Apple. We like it, we hate it, but we play anyway.

Supernew

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2011
what about third party applications

I was really looking forward to the release of Lion but yesterday I received an e-mail from Livescribe saying that my livescribe pen is not supported by Lion OSX. I use it often so I decide to wait till I get an update from livescribe. I am also worried for other applications I have... :eek:
don't want to lose many of them coz of the Lion have eat them all :p

mungo2k

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Connecting to a particular Windows server from Lion GM is actually killing the server's network connection for 10 minutes. There's something seriously wrong with the new SMB engine...

And connecting to Active Directory has gone back a step since Snow Leopard, you can only bind to the generic "Computers" group of AD; attempting to join any other OU will fail (I think that was previously fixed in Leopard).

(however, nice that it has some DFS capability, though it doesn't seem to be able to connect to hidden DFS shares).

In short, Lion is not really ready for the enterprise sector.

(not to mention that Lion is not really suitable for a teaching environment where you can't use wireless mouse/trackpad for fear of theft)

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
They don't know that just working for Apple is not enough. You have to work in the right place and in the right team to know something.

Yeah, it's need to know and people don't know until they need to know. I swear it's easier to get secrets out of MI5/CIA than it is out of Apple, sometimes ;)

PaulWog

Suspended
Jun 28, 2011
Don't worry. It will be tomorrow (errr... today). It's 1:53AM right now (Pacific time), so there's still another 4-8 hours until they announce. :D

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I have a friend that is telling me that OS X 10.7 will be the last release of Mac OS X, from then on it will be the iOS ported to the computers to take over from Mac OS, it will like Mac iOS v11.0

Your friend reads too many rumor sites.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Apple is taunting the public, if they just knew the GM might have been leaked to over 500,000 people, LOL.

This time of year, too many people may be on vacation to handle the servers when every Mac Geek in the world starts downloading.

Also, the timing may be there so at least a third of the Mac Geeks are on vacation so they will wait for a download.

I see this totally pathetic scenario of some Mac Geeks downloading Lion on there MacBook Pro via a cruise ship's WiFi. Thus blowing a day in their cabin instead of socializing. But then, it is not much of a difference.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Personally, I think you're all looking too much into his tweet. However, I also doubt that Lion will be released this week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.