Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
It seems like theres a new release date every 2 hours around here. I guess when July 26th comes and goes, people will say, "Oh, Lion and the new hardware will be release along side the iPhone 5 on August 16th (rumor from job posting), really? Lol. I bet Apple employees (Corporate, that is) come on these forums to laugh at these dates.

biodigitaljazz

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2011
Obviously, we're all people here, and while looking for hidden messages and secret codes is fun, (I personally believe in some way Apple is symbolically the forbidden fruit that Eve ate that ='d the fall of man,) this **** is getting out of control. Yes, we all know the new MacBook Air will be a great machine. Yes, we're all waiting for it to come out so we can give Apple all our money (I know I am, I want the computer real bad for college). But I think I for one am going to stay away from this forum 'til the computer actually comes out, because all this is people raging over this computer. Yeah, I too woke up and was a bit disappointed that it did not release today, but seriously, you're all gonna lose your minds waiting, praying, every day. It'll release by the end of this month, so just... cool your jets! Lol.

iSmac

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2011
Come on, sort it out, why all the secrecy, just publicise the date and stick to it!

mram

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
Firstly yes, Apple is superior LOL. but i disagree with them having an identity crisis. THey are transitioning into a consumer electronics company, something which they have been planning for a long time.
Their emphasis is on iPhones and iPads, which i have no problem with as long as they continue to produce good computers.

Firstly, you're right. Apple was very much under-appreciated by the mass and therefor needed to show the mass all things Apple play along just fine with Microsoft, to ease the transition. But my reply concerned Apple being shy about being the greatest.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
I'm 5 minutes (driving time) away from an Apple Store here on the east coast...if only I could leave my work desk to see what "overnight changes" have been made.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
Come on, sort it out, why all the secrecy, just publicise the date and stick to it!

Yeah, I happen to feel that unless it comes out on July 1st, they should really publicize the date. It's unfair to be waiting around all month with no sign of when it will hit the Mac App Store.

I know that's the way Apple does things, but it becomes unfair in a way.
I get the vibe that "they'll do it when they're ready", and not be rushed by some date.

Of course, I'm sure they have an internal date goal, but please give that out to the public.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I hereby present the thoughts from the internal brain of Apple's OS X 10.7 Lion, who doesn't appear to have the nerve to show its face today after all...

If I were King of MacRumororororors,
Not queen, not duke, not prince.
My regal robes of MacRumororororors,
would be satin, not cotton, not chintz.
I'd command-click each thing, be it fish or fowl.
With a click and a click and a royal growl - click.
As I'd click my heel, all the ports would kneel.
And the networks bow and the drives kowtow.
Mission Control would take wing - If I - If I - were King!
Each iPhone would show respect to me.
The iPads genuflect to me.

Though my tail would lash, I would show compash
For every underling!
If I - If I - were King!
Just King!

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
There's still a good number of bugs/quirks in the GM:

-Safari constantly throws up an error saying something to the effect of the page can't load, click to try again.
-Launchpad has no way to delete non-App Store apps and includes every app in the Applications folder (including all the Office uninstallers and all the various Adobe CS apps like Extension Manager and installers strewn about)
-Can't drag files into the Open File window to select it quickly
-Can't use Command-D to quickly select "Don't Save" when closing an unsaved document
-Can't remove items from the Finder sidebar by dragging them off
-No way to clear the list of recent documents from the Dock menu of apps

LOL you think those kind of "bugs" are what they try to fix for a release? LOL You must be new.

Those are more like 10.7.1, 10.7.2 releases, months down the road. The GM is completely and totally releasable.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Yeah, I happen to feel that unless it comes out on July 1st, they should really publicize the date. It's unfair to be waiting around all month with no sign of when it will hit the Mac App Store.

I know that's the way Apple does things, but it becomes unfair in a way.
I get the vibe that "they'll do it when they're ready", and not be rushed by some date.

Of course, I'm sure they have an internal date goal, but please give that out to the public.
Nah, they get more free publicity by being mysterious. They're not stupid.

cmhsam

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just went to my local apple store. They said they did NOT have an overnight last night.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Yay

yay, tired of waiting - does GM needs some extra activation or it just start up after installation like previous Developer previews did ?

mcmlxix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2009
You download the Installer Application directly to your local drive and run it off your drive, it reboots and installs.
My 500 GB HD is almost maxed out. Does anyone know how much free space is needed?

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
I'm certain Lion will hit the App Store some time today, afternoon EST, and the overnight installs/new Mac set up will be tomorrow. Friday is a good launch day for a new OS. All the people who have impossible problems during the install have all weekend to work it out ;)

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
yay, tired of waiting - does GM needs some extra activation or it just start up after installation like previous Developer previews did ?

The GM IS Lion 10.7. What I have is what you will have.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I'm certain Lion will hit the App Store some time today, afternoon EST, and the overnight installs/new Mac set up will be tomorrow. Friday is a good launch day for a new OS. All the people who have impossible problems during the install have all weekend to work it out ;)
Ain't gonna happen today. It's EDT. You'll get Lion in November when you switch back to EST.

how2style

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2011
has anyone actually seen, or does anyone really know (can confirm) that there was actually an Apple "overnight" last night? Wasn't that just a rumor also?

So far only one site, MIC Gadget, is reporting that releases could still come as early as tomorrow.

We'll see what happens..

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Oh well... July is July, we are almost half way into July.

Anyways, I may have to wait to upgrade thanks to stupid Intuit, who's not ready to support Quickbooks for Mac under Lion. (Grrr!)
I'm may have to look for an alternative accounting software, as it's always the same story.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.