Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week, part numbers for upcoming Apple hardware updates surfaced, with claims that the parts represented new MacBook Air and Mac Pro models. While the MacBook Air part numbers are believed to be legitimate, the claim regarding the "Mac Pro" part numbers was later revised to state that they referred to new Mac mini and MacBook models.

But even that revised assertion isn't entirely correct, as the part number ascribed to a new MacBook is in fact for a new Thunderbolt-enabled LED Cinema Display.

apple_lion_led_cinema_display.jpg

Apple has even confirmed that information by prematurely posting a new image on its site depicting the display and identifying in the URL as the "MC914" part that had been previously thought to be a new MacBook. The display appears essentially identical to the existing LED Cinema Display from the front, although Apple's new promotional image displays a Lion desktop background rather than the Snow Leopard one found on the images for the current model. The rear of the display will obviously include a Thunderbolt port in place of the current mini DisplayPort connection.

lion_display_macs.jpg

Additional gallery images also show the new display paired with a number of Apple's Mac products, all of which show the same form factor as the current models, suggesting that the Mac mini scheduled to appear alongside the new display (which appears here as the Mac Mini Server model) will retain its current form factor. Apple's Mac Pro has been rumored to see a redesign, but appears set to debut a few weeks later than the new display, meaning that Apple would need to continue showing the new display alongside the current Mac Pro until that time.

Article Link: Apple's Upcoming Hardware Refresh to Include Thunderbolt LED Display, Not MacBook

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
This one actually sounds correct. I like 9to5 Mac, but they make too many assumptions.

What will be interesting to see is if the Cinema Display has Thunderbolt Ports on it for daisy chaining purposes.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I see from the photo that the new model still won't line up correctly next to the iMac. Lame for iMac users.

Glad to see some more Thunderbolt capable devices. I'm hoping to pick one of these up next year as I've never had an ACD, despite those being my initials, lol. Now if only some manufacturers would make some more devices at a decent price!

I thought I read somewhere that the display has to be the last in the chain? So if this only ends up having one port on the back, and not another to daisy chain, how is this different at all? A new icon? Lol.

LarryC

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
North America
More B.S., I will not believe any of these silly rumors. The MacBook is the U.S. Apple Store's 5th best selling product. I do not believe they are getting rid of it! The MBA isn't even on the list of the top selling products.

hoing

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2010
Wow. Simply Brilliant. Apple with unexpected. This will go nicely with my ipad2, iphone4 (white and black), macbook pro, and imac. Cant wait to get the mac pro. I am seriously considering moving next to the nearest apple store.

Steve, you have done it again! Simple genius. Sit down windows, this display shows why you are declining.

:apple:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
More B.S., I will not believe any of these silly rumors. The MacBook is the U.S. Apple Store's 5th best selling product. I do not believe they are getting rid of it! The MBA isn't even on the list of the top selling products.

Just because the product code is a thunderbolt display and not a MacBook doesn't mean the MacBook is becoming discontinued.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
For the purposes of a display, what's the need for a Thuderbolt port vs a Mini DisplayPort? It's the same connector right? What's the point? Would it have any advantages at all?

jackrv

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
I see from the photo that the new model still won't line up correctly next to the iMac. Lame for iMac users.

Macduke, just a bit off topic, but do you know if the VESA mounts in the back of the iMac and the Cinema Display line up?

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
For the purposes of a display, what's the need for a Thuderbolt port vs a Mini DisplayPort? It's the same connector right? What's the point? Would it have any advantages at all?

Daisy chaining other thunderbolt products through the display. It probably has a FaceTime HD camera as well.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Oh WOW, the new update that shows the MBP hooked up to two ACDs. That just made my day. Too bad it's so fracking expensive!

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Daisy chaining other thunderbolt products through the display. It probably has a FaceTime HD camera as well.

Ah the daisy chaining makes sense, especially if hooking up multiple monitors for Lion's full screen mode.

......oh that's right.:rolleyes:;)

tallguy

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Canada
Wow. Simply Brilliant. Apple with unexpected. This will go nicely with my ipad2, iphone4 (white and black), macbook pro, and imac. Cant wait to get the mac pro. I am seriously considering moving next to the nearest apple store.

Steve, you have done it again! Simple genius. Sit down windows, this display shows why you are declining.

:apple:

Can't tell if your sarcastic or not.

tuna

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
Ugh no pictures of the ports on the back? They could theoretically have almost any sort of port back there through thunderbolt... usb, firewire, audio, ethernet...

Ferazel

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
Can anyone make any size determinations based on the pictures if the new Cinema display is still 27" or if it is bumped up to 30" to replace the old 30" display?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.