Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
$29, how much is a Windows upgrade again? Better yet, Win 7 anytime upgrade from Home to Pro so you machine can log into a domain ?

If you need to connect to a domain infrastructure, you won't be buying a home edition of Windows - or any version of Mac OS X - in the first place, so the whole basis of your statement is null and void. You will directly buy a professional or enterprise edition, and companies usually buy those through a volume license contract at 'slightly' different prices than you will find on Amazon.

While I agree that the upgrade from Vista to 7 should also only have cost 29 bucks or should have been given out for free for Vista users, the upgrade from XP to Vista/7 was much more significant than the upgrades from Leopard to Snow Leopard to Lion were and the full upgrade price for Vista was justified - especially after all those years of development.

The move from Tiger to Leopard brought significant architectural changes, just like the move from XP to Vista did. But SL and Lion bring mostly cosmetic changes (in the case of Lion even some that make the whole system look uglier instead of better) and a few visual gimmicks, but nothing really significant. Basically, both Snow Leopard and Lion are just service packs for Leopard, like Windows 7 is just a usability and performance service pack for Vista.

But how do your 29 bucks upgrades look when you compare them with the free Ubuntu upgrades? Ubuntu evolves faster and with even more eye candy than OS X and Windows together, and it also is a much more secure, robust and faster platform than both Windows and OS X. Since most people spend most of their time in the web browser anyway, the arguments for the expensive platforms OS X and Windows are rapidly running against zero.

Anyway, while Lion is not an overly exciting upgrade, it's certainly not a bad update and it also is among the better of Apple's dot zero releases. But it is all that even without the annoying childish mocking of Microsoft Windows.

Dilum2444

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2011
really? guess you're right ... it's even cheaper than I though it would be.

isn't it 29 USD in the states?

I just can't believe an Apple product is less € than USD for once ... I'm just upset that it's 99 USD vs. 129€ for an Apple TV.
Tell me about it, but yeah, it's 23,99 for EU and 29,99 for the states. The fact that all the Apple products cost the same in dollar as in euro kinda pisses me of. I can get a 17" MacBook in the states for (changed to euro) for €1623,33 while it's still 2299 in euros in the apple online store. But yeah, I deal with it. Mac is just the best to my idea. And maybe it has something to do with the delivery to EU? Idk

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Easy folks.

Take a deep breath.

Yes, it's fun to have a new OS, but we're not curing cancer here.

Enjoy Lion. I'm looking forward to it, too.

But maybe we need to dial down the intensity. I doubt if it will change your lives THAT much.

Don't mean to be a buzz kill - just saying...
Don't worry. The ecstasy will turn to whine soon as they realize Lion's just another piece of software with bugs.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Can't wait to download Lion, dissect it and create bootable USB thumb drive. Then I plan to install it in Fusion and see if my apps are really compatible with Lion.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
If you need to connect to a domain infrastructure, you won't be buying a home edition of Windows - or any version of Mac OS X - in the first place, so the whole basis of your statement is null and void.

Darn, I better let the 2300 people currently on my company's domain who are using Macs know that then.

Goldfinger

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2006
Belgium
And still no way te recoup VAT on (intra community) App Store purchases... No businesses will be upgrading...

Gift cards are not an alternative since they are not sold in the exact amounts needed.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
And still no way te recoup VAT on (intra community) App Store purchases... No businesses will be upgrading...

Gift cards are not an alternative since they are not sold in the exact amounts needed.

They are pretty much- I've got three iTunes $10 gift cards out and ready.

rien333

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
The Netherlands
i love dutch such a mixed language i can nearly read it all with my german skills ^^

i predict its coming either tmrw or on thursday, does that make me an analyst now?

The same goes for german if you're dutch. :)
I have a feeling that this rumor is true, and luckly I have don't have to do anything else tommorow!

I never followed a Mac OS X release before, is it normal for Apple to don't say the specific date?

Last edited:

davjaxn

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2011
iToys, iCloud, i...

Simple, automatic, get out your cash or credit card, Steve's got his hand out.

Time to upgrade and pay up.

So don't buy it.

Besides, $29 for a brand new OS is hardly highway robbery. I'll let you in on a little secret about business: They exist to make money! Shocking, eh?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.