Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

macmini.jpg

Apple today released an update to its Mac mini line, bringing Intel's Sandy Bridge platform to the diminutive desktop computer along with new support for the Thunderbolt connectivity standard being pushed by Apple and Intel. The new Mac mini lineup consists of two standard stock configurations alongside a "server" model. Notably, all models drop the optical disc in favor of an optional external SuperDrive.

Standard models
- 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 500 GB hard drive, 2 GB RAM: $599
- 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 500 GB hard drive, 4 GB RAM: $799

Server model
- 2.0 GHz, dual 500 GB hard drives, 4 GB RAM: $999

Additional build-to-order options include an upgrade to 8 GB of RAM, up to 750 GB hard drives, and an external SuperDrive. The high-end standard model and the server model can also be configured with one (standard) or two (server) 256 GB solid-state drives.
The new Mac mini delivers up to twice the processor and graphics performance of the previous generation in the same amazingly compact and efficient aluminum design.* Starting at just $599 (US), the new Mac mini is available for order today and in stores tomorrow.

"Mac mini delivers the speed and expandability that makes it perfect for the desktop, living room or office," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "With faster processors, more powerful graphics and Thunderbolt in an incredibly compact, aluminum design, the new Mac mini is more versatile than ever."
All Mac mini models ship with OS X Lion pre-installed.

mac_mini_tb_display-500x459.jpg

Alongside the new Mac mini models, Apple also announced a new Apple Thunderbolt Display. Appearing nearly identical to the previous 27-inch LED Cinema Display, the primary upgrade to Apple's sole standalone display offering is Thunderbolt compatibility, enabling the device to be used within daisy-chained configurations of the new high-speed data and display connectivity standard. With the new standard, users can for the first time run two displays off of a single Thunderbolt port on Macs offering enough graphics horsepower to support the pixel load.

dock.jpg

The upgrade to Thunderbolt also allows Apple to turn the display into an "ultimate docking station", with the new display now offering a built-in FaceTime HD camera, 2.1 speaker system, three USB ports, one Firewire 800 port, one Gigabit Ethernet port, and a second Thunderbolt port to enable daisy chaining. An integrated MagSafe cable for powering connected notebook computers also continues to be offered.
"The Apple Thunderbolt Display is the ultimate docking station for your Mac notebook," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing." With just one cable, users can dock with their new display and connect to high performance peripherals, network connections and audio devices."
Images of the new Thunderbolt-enabled LED Cinema Display leaked on Apple's site late last week, foreshadowing their arrival alongside the Mac minis that do not ship with an included display. The new LED Cinema Display will be available within the next 60 days and is priced at $999.

Article Link: Apple Releases New Sandy Bridge Mac Minis and Thunderbolt Display

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
Quote from the Mac Mini's product page:

"Mac mini is designed without an optical disc drive. Because these days, you don’t need one. It’s easier than ever to download music and films from the iTunes Store. And you can download apps from the Mac App Store with a click."

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL... Yeah, right Apple. The Mac Mini is a 'hub' with HDMI, yet it can't even play DVD's? Rip CD's? And whats the point of having Boot Camp when you can't use a Windows disc?

Epic. Fail.

Last edited:

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Jul 9, 2008
Well, I hope by removing the CD drive... and adding more storage... will allow them to finally put the Welcome Video back haha jk

Last edited:

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
Actually I'm happy to see the optical drive go, but SSD should have being standard.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Appearing nearly identical to the previous 27-inch LED Cinema Display, the primary upgrade to Apple's sole standalone display offering is Thunderbolt compatibility, enabling the device to be used within daisy-chained configurations of the new high-speed data and display connectivity standard.

Are we sure about this ? The tech specs say there's only 1 Thunderbolt port :

Ports

Three powered USB 2.0 ports
FireWire 800 port
Gigabit Ethernet port
Thunderbolt port
Kensington security slot

How can you daisy chain them if there's no second port ?

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
It is absolutely insane that this doesn't have any optical drive! I would have considered getting a mini if it had a drive.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Nice you can get a SSD installed, not so nice a Mac Mini with SSD is $600 more!

Going to have to chase down that new ATI chip and see what it does

BCurry1

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
Oklahoma
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

They killed the MacBook.

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
Not that fazed by no DVD drive, but doesn't make a lot of sense if you wanted to use it as a media centre.

Does anyone know if the new AMD Radeon HD 6630M can handle blue ray rips and 1080P video?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Are we sure about this ? The tech specs say there's only 1 Thunderbolt port :

How can you daisy chain them if there's no second port ?
It also has a built in thunderbolt cable, plus the port.

arn

Kimbie

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2010
UK
Well no optical drive means I won't get a mini, plus was hoping for at least a GFX card to match the MBP

Kimbie

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
Discrete Graphics

Major Bonus - Discrete Graphics - AMD Radeon HD 6630M

Win++.

Only on the $799 model though.

The 6630M has 480 shaders running at 485 MHz. Also I don't know why they've only given is 256MB of RAM.

trfjason

macrumors member
May 28, 2010
It's nice to have the 6630M in the high end Mac Mini, but where is the quad core CPU option?? They should not make the quad core exclusive to the Server version.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Why get rid of the optical drive on a desktop/media computer :confused:. It's not like it didn't fit in the enclosure to begin with. I'm so glad i got a 2011 MBP. I think it's all but certain they'll be next in line for an ODD excision.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
It's obvious that Apple is moving to an all digital future. And to be honest, whatever apple does usually happens.

I am actually happy about that, I hate having to deal with DVD's, cd's, etc...

Much easier to download and backup on a hard drive these days.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
i couldnt ever buy a mini based on performance anyway but no optical drive? it makes me think how many college textbooks are out there with a cd in the back. kind of making it hard for anyone with serious work to buy one apple

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.