Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:27 PM   #51
Stella
macrumors 603

Wow.. those server farms are powerful. Apple did well to keep up with the demand.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:31 PM   #52
Steve's Barber
Banned

Excellent!

The more people that pay for Lion and use it, the more they'll scream for 10.7.1.

A good OS but too many quirks right now.
Steve's Barber is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:31 PM   #53
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
How realistic! A "welfare scrounger" who uses a Mac, or Hackintosh.

*ROTFLMAO*
You're apparently not well acquainted with America's poor. They buy nice things just like everyone else.
WestonHarvey1 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:32 PM   #54
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asclepio View Post
A whole new OS? your kidding right?
It's a slower Snow Leopard with "NEW" WALLPAPER and "NEW" HORRIBLE ExposŤ.
Come on guys this is Apple Vista, it must be free.
Let's see. News is that Apple sold over a million copies of Lion in 24 hours. Your first post is to recommend downloading illegal copies. Your second post compares Lion to the biggest flop in operating system history and insults Apple's engineers and implicitly anyone buying it.

So answer me this: Are you trolling because you are just a nasty person, or is it some weird insecurity that makes you behave this way?
gnasher729 is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:35 PM   #55
res1233
Banned

Quote:
No... I had lag problems initially because spotlight decided to reindex my entire drive, and time machine decided to verify my entire backup, plus the genius in me decided to try to do some compiling while I waited for those two to finish, so... Anyway, no. Now that it's all done, Lion is showing great performance. Switching between fullscreen apps is amazingly fluid, and I love it. It's a much more organized way of dealing with your apps, and spaces is even better now that you can switch between spaces the same way.

Early testing of the new 3.2 OpenGL engine shows a performance decrease for some reason, however the engine is new, so I expect it has much room for improvement. I'll wait till 10.7.3 before I worry since I doubt many apps will have ventured into that area before then. Also, the OpenGL Extensions Viewer app may not be fully optimized yet. Incase anyone's interested in messing with it, it's in the MAS now.

I really don't get how people can call this a Vista. Apple did go a bit animation crazy this time, which is arguably unneeded bloat, but personally it's bloat that I like very much, and it doesn't really interfere with the performance of my apps like vista's bloat did. Upgrading from Vista to 7 showed a real performance increase of around 10fps in some games. I doubt that will be true with Lion to 10.8.

Plus, people aren't sticking with Snow Leopard like they did with XP for years.
res1233 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:36 PM   #56
zerofour
macrumors member

Haven't installed Lion yet (like others will wait, as use for my business). But seriously, Apple 'Vista'..? I worked with Vista with endless clients with problems and it was a complete nightmare. Lion is no Vista, period. As for people torrenting a $30 product (£20.99), sorry I don't agree with it. I personally want to live with integrity as far as I'm able - people's lack of integrity costs each of us every day in all kinds of ways!

Right, I'm off to check a few answer machine messages...
zerofour is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:37 PM   #57
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

What a week for Apple. Record profits, iPhone overtakes Nokia and one million copies of Lion sold. I can't take it anymore. I feel like Tarzan swinging from the vine.
AppleScruff1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:39 PM   #58
HadItWithWindow
macrumors regular

Do I have to pay $60 to get it on my MBP and iMac?

Or can I buy a disc and load it on both for $30?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:40 PM   #59
Stella
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzz View Post
No, but it is responsible for the massive heatwave blowing across North America this week.
Rolling black outs in Detroit!
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:41 PM   #60
Cheffy Dave
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidorian View Post
Tell that to the people I see everyday without jobs, computers at home, or internet access. I doubt Lion is anywhere on their radar much less a comprehension of the alphabet, the skills to use a GUI, or even basic problem solving skills.

Seriously posting here is some bizarro world, occasionally corpo-sycophantic, detached reality compared to what exists just stepping outside the door or going to work. The shock is rather jarring sometimes.
So true E man, so true!60% of this country are suffering
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:42 PM   #61
Cheffy Dave
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
Let's see. News is that Apple sold over a million copies of Lion in 24 hours. Your first post is to recommend downloading illegal copies. Your second post compares Lion to the biggest flop in operating system history and insults Apple's engineers and implicitly anyone buying it.

So answer me this: Are you trolling because you are just a nasty person, or is it some weird insecurity that makes you behave this way?
Gnasher to the rescue!
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:43 PM   #62
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerofour View Post
Haven't installed Lion yet (like others will wait, as use for my business). But seriously, Apple 'Vista'..? I worked with Vista with endless clients with problems and it was a complete nightmare. Lion is no Vista, period. As for people torrenting a $30 product (£20.99), sorry I don't agree with it. I personally want to live with integrity as far as I'm able - people's lack of integrity costs each of us every day in all kinds of ways!

Right, I'm off to check a few answer machine messages...
I call shenanigans on the Vista comparison. Apple supposedly already had their Vista - I believe that was the accusation leveled at Leopard.

You only get one Vista. You're not allowed two.
WestonHarvey1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:43 PM   #63
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella View Post
Wow.. those server farms are powerful. Apple did well to keep up with the demand.
I'm sure you mean the Akamai network, because Apple uses the Akamai network infrastructure to distribute software updates and Mac App Store downloads.
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:46 PM   #64
polaris20
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystar101 View Post
Adobe Suite dosen't work on this new GREAT OS. I work with my mac I don't play like with iPad so I don't install it. That's all from me.
So you use your machine for work, to generate money, presumably, but you install an OS the day it comes out?

Probably not the best idea.
polaris20 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:46 PM   #65
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by smali View Post
Man who gives a damn. The price is so low that even a welfare scrounger would call the upgrade to Lion pocket change.
Very nice
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:47 PM   #66
JPTech
macrumors member

It's fantastic to see the amazing growth rates in sales from Tiger to Lion. PREPARE THE MAC TAKEOVER!!!!!

If you like funny stuff, check me out: http://youtube.com/JoraffProductions
JPTech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:50 PM   #67
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonHarvey1 View Post
You're apparently not well acquainted with America's poor.
Why should i? Is the Mac App Store not available to non-americans? And no one said we speak just about americans. Right!?
Mr. Retrofire is offline   -8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:50 PM   #68
*LTD*
Banned

But I thought the Mac App Store model wasn't supposed to work?
*LTD* is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:51 PM   #69
mcmlxix
macrumors 6502a

Does anyone else find it amusing that a marketing chief is named ScHILLer?
mcmlxix is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:52 PM   #70
gorgeousninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidorian View Post
Tell that to the people I see everyday without jobs, computers at home, or internet access. I doubt Lion is anywhere on their radar much less a comprehension of the alphabet, the skills to use a GUI, or even basic problem solving skills.

Seriously posting here is some bizarro world, occasionally corpo-sycophantic, detached reality compared to what exists just stepping outside the door or going to work. The shock is rather jarring sometimes.

So please tell us how stealing from people helps anyone but the selfish people who do it. Illegal downloading of software/music/movies as opposed to buying is tempting, like shoplifting is tempting to some juveniles.
If you are so into sharing please let us know your bank account details and address so we can all come and 'share' your stuff... No, didn't think so...
gorgeousninja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:52 PM   #71
Dnix
macrumors 6502

I would be part of those million.

But I'm waiting it out....to see what the deal is on compatibility with some of my most used (but possibly more obscure) apps.
Dnix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:53 PM   #72
*LTD*
Banned

Quote:
Make an appointment with Reality immediately. Your condition is worsening.
*LTD* is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:53 PM   #73
Icaras
macrumors 601

Its always nice to see good news like this shut up the usual suspects that have been bad mouthing Lion from the start and suggesting that Lion be delayed until the end of the year because it's so buggy. Seriously?

And this is why Apple is so successful. Because they are not run by cynical folks like these. A few early bugs are easily worth that one million sales out the door.

Good work Apple
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:54 PM   #74
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
Why should i? Is the Mac App Store not available to non-americans? And no one said we speak just about americans. Right!?
Don't you understand that whole world revolves around us?!
WestonHarvey1 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:55 PM   #75
*LTD*
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnix View Post
I would be part of those million.

But I'm waiting it out....to see what the deal is on compatibility with some of my most used (but possibly more obscure) apps.
Why not just ask?

You're on an Apple tech site, after all.
*LTD* is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion