Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Incoming Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam, speaking on CNBC today, noted that revenue growth in the past quarter had been impacted because the next iPhone hasn't been released yet.
We had assumed that we would see an iPhone early in the summertime as it's been usually, and that's going to be a little bit later in the year now.
In a conference call with analysts today, McAdam suggested analysts check with Apple on when the next iPhone will come out -- but expected it this fall:
We are probably what I would view as maybe a quarter behind what we had talked about in January, primarily because we expected an iPhone 5 refresh sometime this summer.

We don't know when the next one is going to come out. You will have to ask Apple that, but we expect that probably sometime in the fall, and I think you will see a significant jump there when we get to that point.
Later in the CNBC interview, McAdam discusses Verizon's switch to tiered data plans for smartphones, noting that streaming video is the main reason they dropped unlimited data plans:
We just converted over to tiered pricing, data tiered pricing, because we see a huge wave of video coming. That's going to take a lot more capacity in the individual networks, and so I think for a lot of customers that won't be an issue from a revenue perspective. But, for the heavy users, we do see the revenue go up significantly.
Lowell McAdam is the current COO of Verizon and will be replacing current CEO Ivan Seidenberg.

Article Link: Verizon CEO: We Expected iPhone 5 in Early Summer, Now Planning For Fall

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
Nothing new here really. I think everyone thought it would be released this summer until WWDC. Then when it was announced that iOS5 would be released in the fall, everyone concluded iPhone 5 would also be in the fall.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Its too bad the iPhone 5 won't have LTE :( at least I doubt it... Deal breaker for me.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
We don't know when the next one is going to come out.

yes, one day apple is going to announce the next iphone without testing or certifying it on any carrier's network. in fact FedEx will just start delivering boxes to Verizon Stores with no one having any idea what they are.

all of those millions of verizon iphone 5's will just magically work out of the box with no backend preparation by verizon or any carrier.

what happens is SJ presses a button and a magic script runs that adds the data to all the carriers' and partners' computer systems at once

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
I have a Droid X and want an iPhone. Will wait for iPhone 5, I guess - rather than buy the 4 now and regret it. Sigh.

Tyre

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I hate political business people as much as anyone, but he was pretty honest here. His argument for tiered pricing actually made sense and seemed fair. Except for flat out lying that he didn't know when the next iPhone would be launched, not a bad start.

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
yes, one day apple is going to announce the next iphone without testing or certifying it on any carrier's network. in fact FedEx will just start delivering boxes to Verizon Stores with no one having any idea what they are.

all of those millions of verizon iphone 5's will just magically work out of the box with no backend preparation by verizon or any carrier.

what happens is SJ presses a button and a magic script runs that adds the data to all the carriers' and partners' computer systems at once

They didnt say that next iPhone doesnt exist or they have no idea what its supposed to be. All they said is they dont know the release date, which isnt really surprising to me considering they are talking about an Apple product here.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Doesn't this guy read MacRumors? We knew a long time ago that the next iPhone wouldn't be out in the summer (though many posters here refused to believe it nevertheless).

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
There should only be a few months left. Hang on! :cool:

Thanks for the moral support.

I am hanging on - for dear life.

I use Macs/MBPs exclusively otherwise..i've played with a few iPhone 4's and am envious of the fluidity in function and aesthetics it puts forth.

kdarling

macrumors P6

True, there will be weeks of testing, both in the lab and in the field, before it goes on sale.

(Less time if it's just a cpu refresh, with the core radio and antenna design unchanged.)

So if he really doesn't know when it's coming out, then Apple must not be close to finished.

Or.. he could be playing with words. VZW could be testing the radio already, but have no idea when the final version will be released for sale by Apple.

rockametrics

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2010
This guys knows when iPhone 5 is coming. He could of said something like " we all know that Apple likes to keep their releases close to the chest, so we will respect that." Don't treat us like idiots and say you don't know. You do!!
It's ok to be honest.

FriarNurgle

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
His argument for tiered pricing actually made sense and seemed fair.

Really? How is offering faster speeds and marketing all the awesome things you can do with it fair when you turn right around and cap the hell out of people. Sure right now, many 3G users won't be affected by these caps... but with faster data speeds/phones and cloud & streaming services, it's crippling the true functionality of the devices while increasing revenue for the carrier. That is not fair.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Its too bad the iPhone 5 won't have LTE :( at least I doubt it... Deal breaker for me.

I can see the desire for 4G (other than bulk and battery-burning, which will be solved in time). Still, every other phone has much bigger deal-breakers:

* Fewer apps, but more importantly: lower-quality apps. Even those apps that do have Android versions are seldom as good.

* Poor battery life. Potentially "solveable" by manually managing processes and troubleshooting your apps to find out the hard way which ones you shouldn’t have downloaded. No, thanks.

* No retina display? I’ll never go back!

* Android devices are frequently abandoned by the manufacturer and/or carrier, and get no further updates. Now, no device lasts forever; but Android devices get obsolete way too fast.

* Fragmentation: it’s not just a problem for programmers, but for users, when big-name, important apps only work on certain selected models.

* No iCloud? Well, I don’t have it yet, either... but it’s coming, and nothing out there can offer what Apple is offering with iCloud.

* Malware apps. Compare the percentage of users impacted on Android vs. on iPhone.

* Where’s the integrated music store and synching? Where are the movies and TV shows? Android solutions for those are painful half-efforts compared to iTunes.

* No serious tablet companion with a serious library of tablet apps.

And the number one Android deal-breaker for me:

* No full backup/restore! When I replace my iPhone, everything down to the last custom setting and icon placement transfers over. Every song, every document, every high score, every password, every carefully-organized folder with an Emoji icon. On Android, a few things synch to the new device, but the rest is lost in the wind. Unacceptable.

I really hope (and believe) that someone will make a flavor of Android that solves all that, someday. For now, 4G LTE absolutely can’t make up for them.

For now, while Google TALKS in vague buzzword terms about giving me more things I can do with my phone, Apple actually does so! Android is still too limiting.

I hope my 2012 iPhone has 4G (I’m sure it will) but I also hope it doesn’t suffer the problems (bulk and battery drain) of current 4G phones.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Hilarious! The forced 30 second ad on CNBC at the front of this interview was the AT&T ad promoting their potential takeover of T-Mobile. ;)

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Why? It's just a big battery drainer at the moment and Verizon is still expanding their coverage.

No its not, only on the TBolt. And they have LTE in 120 cities... including every city around my area = millions of people. This is a ridiculous comment.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
When you look at real world performance of LTE vs HSDPA+ bringing comparable speeds, why would LTE be a deal breaker?

Because my real world tethering brings down 28mb while your HSDPA brings down 10.

So ya real world its a deal breaker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.