Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009

What're you, seven?

Sigh.... I've been waiting for the iPhone 5 for a LONG time.... I'm stuck on a 4.5 year old flip phone, which works fine...texting/calls/pix messages etc, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth (gums shrinking...?) and sometimes shuts off for no reason.

Apple, ffs, get your ass in gear. I can't buy the iPhone 4 (horrid antenna, plus it's already a year + old....) but honestly the more I hear about the iPhone 5/4s the more it sounds like a tiny upgrade. ugh.

bmwhd

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
How crazy is it this?!

The head of Verizon doesn't know what's up?! Don't they actually talk to Apple?! How hard would it be for you to ask your business partner about future plans? Apple can be secretive but I'm sure with the power that a carrier has, they'd have to give Verizon (or AT&T) some sort of answer. This guy uses the word "assume" and sounds like an idiot. As the head of a huge telecom company you better do more than "assume."

He's being careful. Of course he knows.

I know they're in test with VZW engineers now.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
What're you, seven?
And you can't take a joke? Seriously a little light hearted humour can cheer up the place. I feel sad cause it seems you were born without a personality. But for the rest of us we can laugh from time to time.

Centient

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
How crazy is it this?!

The head of Verizon doesn't know what's up?! Don't they actually talk to Apple?! How hard would it be for you to ask your business partner about future plans? Apple can be secretive but I'm sure with the power that a carrier has, they'd have to give Verizon (or AT&T) some sort of answer. This guy uses the word "assume" and sounds like an idiot. As the head of a huge telecom company you better do more than "assume."

Sounds like in January they were thinking a release along the lines of the usual schedule. Then at some point the plans changed.

Now it sounds to me like he's probably certain of a fall release, but since he's not with Apple, and since Apple wouldn't be happy about him offering up a release date, he has to say he's not 'certain' and that you should ask Apple.

I don't think it's nearly as covert, or that VZ/AT&T are completely clueless about this.

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Exactly!!! Finally somebody noticed! Let it rain profits as their technology ages, but when their archaic network needs an update, transfer entire cost onto consumers to maintain their profit margin... it's called poor financial planning and EVERY CORPORATION does this... :mad::mad::mad:

Because there is NO COMPETITION!

You people really don't seem to understand that business are there to make money, not make you happy. It is nice when the two come together but it does not always happen. How do you know they are not putting that money into advancing their tech? Where do you think LTE is coming from in the first place?

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
And you can't take a joke?

Funny ones, sure. But to be honest most of us find the whole "beans beans" thing childish by the time we're nine.

Seriously a little light hearted humour can cheer up the place.

Right, but again, not if it's unfunny.

I feel sad cause it seems you were born without a personality.

Right, I was born without a personality; you've got me pegged so well. Gee, you sure can read people.

But for the rest of us we can laugh from time to time.

Again... find a sense of humor.

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
Funny ones, sure. But to be honest most of us find the whole "beans beans" thing childish by the time we're nine.

Right, but again, not if it's unfunny.

Right, I was born without a personality; you've got me pegged so well. Gee, you sure can read people.

Again... find a sense of humor.

Actually I was disappointed that he did not go with

Beans beans, they're good for your heart, the more you eat the more you FART!!!!!!

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Later in the CNBC interview, McAdam discusses Verizon's switch to tiered data plans for smartphones, noting that streaming video is the main reason they dropped unlimited data plans:Lowell McAdam is the current COO of Verizon and will be replacing current CEO Ivan Seidenberg.

Streaming video is one of the main reasons why I don't have a 'smartphone.'

I don't have WiFi access the majority of the time, so I end up streaming hours and hours of video each month on my old Samsung Eternity.

I've been looking to upgrade to an iPhone for a while now and, like many of you, I was really hoping for an update a few months ago... but even if it comes out in Sept, I'm not so sure if I'll go with it because of the tiered plans.

It makes little sense that they're all fighting over speed and who has the fastest network, but they don't let you fully use it.... here's the world's fastest car, but you can only drive it for a 1/4 mile, once a month.

Sadly, with the way AT&T and Verizon are now with their pricing, I'm leaning toward getting an Android over at Sprint just so I can have an unlimited network.

For the record, I'm currently averaging 2.5 Gigs a month, but have gone over 4 on more then one occasion.

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI
What're you, seven?

Sigh.... I've been waiting for the iPhone 5 for a LONG time.... I'm stuck on a 4.5 year old flip phone, which works fine...texting/calls/pix messages etc, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth (gums shrinking...?) and sometimes shuts off for no reason.

Apple, ffs, get your ass in gear. I can't buy the iPhone 4 (horrid antenna, plus it's already a year + old....) but honestly the more I hear about the iPhone 5/4s the more it sounds like a tiny upgrade. ugh.

The iPhone 4 antenna is just fine. Seriously. There is no problem with it. My roommates iPhone 4 gets better reception than my 3GS.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Not everyone reads Macrumors. Ask a regular joe schmoe iphone owner what Macrumors is and they'll give you a weird look.

CEO of Verizon isn't a regular joe, and he has a much greater need to know what Apple is likely to do. So in addition to his contacts directly with Apple, Verizon should have some employee check out online info to keep the CEO better informed. I knew about Apple's iPhone plans before the Verizon CEO did? That's just sad.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Really? How is offering faster speeds and marketing all the awesome things you can do with it fair when you turn right around and cap the hell out of people. Sure right now, many 3G users won't be affected by these caps... but with faster data speeds/phones and cloud & streaming services, it's crippling the true functionality of the devices while increasing revenue for the carrier. That is not fair.

Not fair? Are you serious? All of that additional bandwidth is going to increase carriers' costs. Services like Netflix, iTunes match, Google Music, Hulu, Spotify are inexpensive for unlimited content or flat out free. There is no reason users would curve their usage for such cheap or free content. That results in people streaming everything to all of their devices, which costs the carriers money. The "fair" argument goes both ways there.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
That dude's a moron and they're making him CEO. No wonder they're changing their name to Verizon Worthless.

Why is he a moron? Because he didn't say "We know when the next iPhone is coming, but I can't say"?

Of course he knows!!! It's a given! Everyone saying he is lying, you are really stupid to take what he says literally. He said the new iPhone was expected early summer (that's been the schedule) but obviously is pushed back. Should he have re-capped the entire mill of rumors about it's release and anticipated features?

cadillac1234

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
I can almost guarantee the day a new iPhone will be released.

It will be the same day that iOS 5 is released which will be in the 'FALL' according to the WWDC.

Now, where is my 7 figure consulting fee :rolleyes:

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Definitely will be buying the iPhone 5 myself and not relying on my network for an upgrade.

The camera lens on my iPhone 4 is scratched to hell where it's been sat on the table at the same level as the back.

And it'd be stupid to buy another iPhone 4 when an iPhone 5 is suspected fairly quickly.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I have a Droid X and want an iPhone. Will wait for iPhone 5, I guess - rather than buy the 4 now and regret it. Sigh.

Ugh. iPhone 4 was the first smartphone I ever bought. I tried a bunch of Android stuff first because at the time I was an Apple hater. Droid X was the last one I tried and it sealed the deal.....no way I was going to use Android every day.

You will love it when you make the switch.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Definitely will be buying the iPhone 5 myself and not relying on my network for an upgrade.

The camera lens on my iPhone 4 is scratched to hell where it's been sat on the table at the same level as the back.

And it'd be stupid to buy another iPhone 4 when an iPhone 5 is suspected fairly quickly.

You could just have the back replaced. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.