Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
It's shocking. Terrible. I heard and saw the explosion from where I live. 20km away. I had no idea what me and my family had witnessed.
They say the man arrested Ine the island is nordic looking

Heilage

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 1, 2009
It's shocking. Terrible. I heard and saw the explosion from where I live. 20km away. I had no idea what me and my family had witnessed.
They say the man arrested Ine the island is nordic looking

Yes, he was reportedly speaking Norwegian, and was observed in the area of the Government HQs before the bombing.

This looks to be the work of a single madman. But of course, we don't know nearly enough yet to draw any kind of conclusion.

JLatte

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2005
San Diego
Yes, he was reportedly speaking Norwegian, and was observed in the area of the Government HQs before the bombing.

This looks to be the work of a single madman. But of course, we don't know nearly enough yet to draw any kind of conclusion.

Hopefully the media doesn't forget that not all acts of terrorism are committed by extreme Islamic fundamentalists.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I'm on vacation, but my colleagues at the Oslo Public Library (Deichmanske bibliotek), 150 metres from the blast, tell me that 30 windows and the main entrance (glass) were blown out. :eek: No one in the building was killed or injured, thank goodness.

Daffodil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
In a sunny state of mind
I'm on vacation, but my colleagues at the Oslo Public Library (Deichmanske bibliotek), 150 metres from the blast, tell me that 30 windows and the main entrance (glass) were blown out. :eek: No one in the building was killed or injured, thank goodness.

I think in part this also has been a day of oh-god-how-much-worse-it-could-have-been. While we'll grieve for those lost, at least the blast could have affected so many more at a different time of day and year.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The attacker has been caught (described as "Tall and blonde", no less), but this all seems a bit too sophisticated for a single guy to pull off. The car bomb(s) must have been huge if it was going to cause a large enough explosion to cause THAT much damage to a government building, and buildings nearby (the newspaper building doesn't look that close to the government building :confused:).

MacSociology

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2006
Battleground Europe?!
The biggest newspaper in Norway (VG) has named the man, and he seems to belong to the extremist far right movement. One of these persons always talking about how important it is to protect the norwegian society.

Right now I'm ashamed of being from Norway.

dumoon

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2007
Just read the updates. My heart goes out to all of Norway. Stay strong, we stand with you.

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
I cannot believe this...I have never heard Norway in the news. For anything good or bad. And now something like this happens. What are the laws regarding this type of thing over there? I don't think this guy deserves capital punishment. Thats to kind for somebody who would do this.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Just confirmed by the police that at least 80 were killed on the island...

That is totally mind blowing, considering it was one person with a gun. Just mind blowing...and the fact that they were kids just makes it so much more tragic. My thoughts are with everyone in Norway as they try to heal from such an unspeakable tragedy.

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
The biggest newspaper in Norway (VG) has named the man, and he seems to belong to the extremist far right movement. One of these persons always talking about how important it is to protect the norwegian society.

Right now I'm ashamed of being from Norway.

Don't be mate, it's probably the same feeling that Germans must have gone through after Hitler. It's always a few extremist idiots who kill their own fellow beings - physically and mentally, and then everyone has to suffer.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Apparently he started an agricultural company in 2009. It's a way to be able to by a lot of fertiliser and that was what the bomb was made out of. It's no problem to drive from Oslo to where the island is in 45min. July is the Holliday month up here so no traffic to speak of. I had helicopters flying to and fro over my house all evening as I live between the two places. Just horrifying.

Heilage

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Over 80 innocent kids murdered. I don't even know how to comprehend that.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Hopefully the media doesn't forget that not all acts of terrorism are committed by extreme Islamic fundamentalists.

The difference being Islamic fundamentalists doing it for their religion, we don't know the cause for the Oslo attack yet. He might just be a Christian who really didn't like the Labour government in Norway (which is possible considering the targets and potential target (PM)).

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
The difference being Islamic fundamentalists doing it for their religion, we don't know the cause for the Oslo attack yet. He might just be a Christian who really didn't like the Labour government in Norway (which is possible considering the targets and potential target (PM)).

this is just sickening. my heart goes out to Norway and those families now dealing with tragedies.

this guy apparently was against the Islamification of Europe, which is happening, but this is so not the proper way to voice ones opinions. It's awful what he did and that doesn't even describe it. horrible.....i can't even begin to describe the horror he's inflicted.

let's hope the number of dead stops now. they say more may be found dead. my God....

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
I thought one-man rampages like that only happen in first-person shooters...

This guy's 'book' is out there on the net.

February 2010
I just bought Modern Warfare 2, the game. It is probably the best military simulator out there and it’s one of the hottest games this year. I played MW1 as well but I didn’t really like it as I’m generally more the fantasy RPG kind of person – Dragon Age Origins etc .and not so much into first person shooters. I see MW2 more as a part of my training-simulation than anything else. I’ve still learned to love it though and especially the multiplayer part is amazing. You can more or less completely simulate actual operations.

Unbelievable. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.