Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
BBC News says 8 injured, but fortunately no deaths reported as of yet.

Horrible news, I wonder who did this?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/22/blast-rips-through-norways-capital-injuries-reported/?hpt=hp_t1

I'm okay, and no one I know is hurt, it seems.

We don't know anything, and I'm just scared and shocked.

I don't know what to say except, appalling, appalling. How awful and shocking and traumatic for you. I know and love Scandinavia, its values and ethos, respect for life, civic values and nature.

FWIW, I have very good friends who work as public servants in two different ministries in Oslo.

Awful.

Heilage

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 1, 2009

One dead confirmed now, and reports of covered up bodies...

Apparently there is a fire coming from to levels below the building, some say it was a car bomb.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
My thoughts are with the people of Norway. May there be little loss of life.

Daffodil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
In a sunny state of mind

Heilage

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 1, 2009
This is insane. Reportedly, there are two bombs that have gone off. Unknown number of casualties, many wounded.

On another and maybe related note, someone impersonating a police officer has started shooting people (injuries have apparently been confirmed) at the Labour Youth Party summer camp. Not much details are known, but it seems to be related.

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL

Horrible news, I wonder who did this?

AP Article on Yahoo's front page is saying 2 dead for sure. Also made a tie-in to a Muslim cleric threatening violence if he was deported, as he had terror chrages filed against him.

Also,
Elsewhere, a gunman dressed in a police uniform opened fire at a Labor Party youth camp at Utoya, an island outside Oslo, on Friday, shooting several youths, party spokesman Per Gunnar Dahl told The Associated Press. He said unconfirmed reports said five people were hit as panicked youth tried to escape the island swimming.
It wasn't immediately clear if the two attacks were related.

Heilage said:
This is insane. Reportedly, there are two bombs that have gone off. Unknown number of casualties, many wounded.

On another and maybe related note, someone impersonating a police officer has started shooting people (injuries have apparently been confirmed) at the Labour Youth Party summer camp. Not much details are known, but it seems to be related.
We feel for them, but we're all glad you're OK.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois

You'll probably hear more sooner than we do. Please keep us informed.

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
I'm glad to hear you're ok. I've been following the story through Politiken.dk; the impression I get from the Danes is that they can't figure out why Norway would be a target (pretty common view, really...). Scandinavia in general doesn't make sense, but if anywhere, there, then Denmark (recall the cartoons that caused such an uproar a few years ago...). This assumes that it was radical islamists again, though--and I guess it's too soon to know.

Be safe :)

MacSociology

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2006
Battleground Europe?!
As far as the person arrested there are no official statements, but witnesses that have been interviewed have described him as blond, 185-190 cm tall, and speaking norwegian.

So far there's been no statements about who may be behind this terrorist attack.

Heilage

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Eye witnesses say there are 25-30 dead kids at Utøya.

This is so unreal. I have friends out there, last I heard they were safe, but that's hours ago...

Heilage

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 1, 2009
I hope they catch the scumbags who are responsible for this.

We already caught the guy at Utøya, they say he is responsible or majorly connected to both incidents.

If there are others, we will hunt them down like the bottom feeding animals they are.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Lots of mixed reports about the shootings, but most are saying between 10 and 30 injured/deaths. Really shocking, nobody seems to have claimed responsibility yet- surely that must come soon?

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
Celebrate the good times, mourn in private, do let the morons see the tears, but only the laughter of our spirit in the face of their pathetic resolve to try to break us all.

Stay strong!

solaris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
Oslo, Norway
What a horrible day!
I live 2 miles from the blast zone, and heard the explosion when I walked home from the grocery store. A massive bang followed by a lot of smoke. I jumped on the tram to see what happened (curious as I am) and more or less ended in a war zone, blasted windows, bloody people, ...

I was informed what had happened and returned back home. As you understand I am safe, but pretty shocked.

7 confirmed killed in Oslo and 10 confirmed killed at Utøya. But I am not surprised if the numbers go up.
R.I.P. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.