Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
In America
According to this post by 9to5Mac, the iPhone 5 will feature a tapered edge, a bigger screen, a wider home button, and will be thinner.

Although all these features seem iffy, i'm predicting a bigger screen and a tapered edged iPhone (like the original, iPhone 3G/S).

Also, i don't know if the home button is bigger, or if we'll be seeing LED notifications next to the home button, instead. Remember the iPad 2 case leaks? Apparently this case comes from a similar source. If Apple has started iPhone 5 production, and plans on releasing it in beginning of September along with their iPod event, then this could be legit.
Also, the WSJ did say that the iPhone 5 will be thinner and lighter.

What do you guys think?

For the lazy ones:
9to5maciphone5caseone.jpg

Last edited:

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
According to this post by 9to5Mac, the iPhone 5 will feature a tapered edge, a bigger screen, and a wider home button.

Although all these features seem iffy, i'm predicting a bigger screen and a tapered edged iPhone (like the original, iPhone 3G/S).

Also, i don't know if the home button is bigger, or if we'll be seeing LED notifications next to the home button, instead.

What do you guys think?

For the lazy ones:
9to5maciphone5caseone.jpg

Can't wait! I smell Apple event invites going out within the next few weeks :cool:

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
no offence to OP but you cant go off that as what the new design will be, they could just be designed off of a fan made mockup the company has seen.

If this turns out to be the new design I hope it changes come iPhone 6 when I am out of contact.

I would like to see iPhone 4 design again but obviously with improved antenna design.

Last edited:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
no offence to OP but you cant go off that as what the new design will be, they could just be designed off of a fan made mockup the company has seen.

While there's nothing to say that THIS case is accurate, the fact is that in the past watching case-makers has, in general, been the best way to get accurate predictions.

You can't go off just one, but once you see 2 or 3 with matching designs then it's a good bet that they've all gotten information from somewhere.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
In America
If this turns out to be the new design I hope it changes come iPhone 6 when I am out of contact.

I would like to see iPhone 4 design again but obviously with improved antenna design.

I'm really not fond of the iPhone 4 design, i never was, ever since the prototype leak. I find that it's ergonomically bad to hold, I think Apple did something good with the original iPhone, the 3G and 3GS' design and they should continue it.

ylerT

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
Las Vegas
It's all still rumors.

The thing throwing me off is the cutout on the right side. I'm going to assume that's for the mute switch. So either Apple is planning to switch the iPhone controls to the right like on the iPad, or it's a fake.

Nicolas4ever

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
Guys , the day that steve will come with the new iPhone comes.Im so excited!!i always love when something new comes from Apple

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
It's all still rumors.

The thing throwing me off is the cutout on the right side. I'm going to assume that's for the mute switch. So either Apple is planning to switch the iPhone controls to the right like on the iPad, or it's a fake.
Rumors from yesterday (also case designs) matched up with this case design with the controls moved to the right.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
In America
While there's nothing to say that THIS case is accurate, the fact is that in the past watching case-makers has, in general, been the best way to get accurate predictions.

You can't go off just one, but once you see 2 or 3 with matching designs then it's a good bet that they've all gotten information from somewhere.

Agreed. If we see more similar cases in the next few weeks, then we can be pretty sure that this is what the iPhone 5 will look like.

Does anyone know if the iPhone 5 has gone into production already?

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Agreed. If we see more similar cases in the next few weeks, then we can be pretty sure that this is what the iPhone 5 will look like.

Does anyone know if the iPhone 5 has gone into production already?

If it's going to come out in September, which is the rumor that has the most weight, then it probably already has.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Photos of Purported iPhone 5 Case Based on Latest Design Claims Surface

Earlier this week, a purported case design for the iPhone 5 surfaced showing tapered edges more reminiscent of pre-iPhone 4 designs along with a possible larger screen and gesture area around the home button.

That schematic is not merely a random design drawing, however, as 9 to 5 Mac has received photos of an actual case apparently manufactured based on that design, which has reportedly been shopped around to manufacturers.

The new case does appear to portend a thinner design if it is indeed for the iPhone 5, but is unable to address claims of a larger screen or gesture area due a lack of covering on the front of the device. Placement of the physical features on the purported iPhone 5 appears nearly identical to the current iPhone, with the exception of what appears to a movement of the mute switch to the opposite side. This places the switch adjacent to the device's rear camera on the right side of the device as viewed from the front, as opposed to above the volume buttons on the left side.

Accommodations for the power and volume buttons are indeed present on the purported iPhone 5 case, although difficult to see in the photos as the case utilizes only small nubs of silicone covering the buttons rather than holes allowing direct access to them. Notably, the volume controls appear more like the elongated buttons found on the current iPod touch than the round individual buttons of the iPhone 4, a change which would make sense with an iPod touch-like tapered design for the new iPhone.

This latest case design is not the first to be claimed to be for the iPhone 5, however, as cases suggesting a nearly identical design to the iPhone 4 appeared in March while others apparently showing the rear camera flash moved to the opposite side away from the camera lens itself showed up in May.

Article Link: Photos of Purported iPhone 5 Case Based on Latest Design Claims Surface

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
In America
I really hope this case is legit. I guess we'll only know if more similar ones are leaked soon.

Regarding the iPhone 5 case schematic, don't know if the home button is bigger, or if we'll be seeing LED notifications next to the home button, instead.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
it kinda seems logical by now, didnt case designs always leak a few months before the release of the iPhone? steve made fun of it during one keynote even i think. i predict that huge menu button area will be a touch sensitive area and i hope its a curved back indeed, the iphone 4 is bad to hold. does that make me an analyst now?

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Argh the waiting is killing me! Rumors are exciting but I want to see it! :)

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
Hopefully this is true! It would be very stupid for them to release an iPhone 4S over a year after the iPhone 4 came out, esp. w/ such stiff competition from Android these days. The iPhone 3G/3GS days are gone, I think they're going to have to innovate strongly each year to stay with/ahead of the curve

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.