Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heimo

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
And George W was a better president than Lincoln because more people voted for him!

Dude, you can't compare Lincoln and George W like that. Completely different product lines. Lincoln was Newton, where George W was more like Apple Puck Mouse.

messagepad_1.jpg

top-10-terrible-technologies-6.jpg

akius

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2011
Perhaps...

Perhaps the reason for Apple testing one phone in a iPhone 4-similar casing is, rather than secrecy, that they are in fact releasing a cheaper version of the iphone 4 aswell as a revamped new iphone. Any thoughts on that?

mungo2k

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
One thing nobody seems to have mentioned is that the new case looks wider than the iPhone 4 case. If it's real that would tie in with the larger screen rumours. Personally, I don't really want a bigger iPhone, they're big enough already. But I'd welcome a rounded edge like the 3GS, so that it goes into my pocket better, but a flat back so that I can type with it laying on a flat surface, like the 4.

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
Having worked in the injection mold industry I can say with some authority that it takes a lot of r&d time and thousands of dollars to design and build the molding equipment to produce something like this iPhone case. And this one looks very well made.

It's not something someone did on a whim or produced in their garage. And we're starting to see the same design from multiple sources, so I have hopes it's legit.

carbonrain

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2011
Austin, TX
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

This isn't the next iPhone gen, it's the next iPod gen.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
One thing nobody seems to have mentioned is that the new case looks wider than the iPhone 4 case. If it's real that would tie in with the larger screen rumours. Personally, I don't really want a bigger iPhone, they're big enough already. But I'd welcome a rounded edge like the 3GS, so that it goes into my pocket better, but a flat back so that I can type with it laying on a flat surface, like the 4.

I mentioned it here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1199828/

I love the iPhone 4 form factor but think the next one will be bigger as everyone wants a massive screen over compact mobile devices. IMO a 3.7" size in the current form factor would be great but looking at the case it looks more like 4" size?
Which is what the original Galaxy had.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
With this iPhone? :D
iphone5.jpg

One can hope

I hadn't seen this mock-up before, but I really like it. It's much better than the iPad2-like mock-up. I think the less severely tapered edges would make it easier to hold. And, since it gets rid of the rectangularness of the iP4 it would feel much better in the hand.

Somehow I doubt this is anywhere close to what Apple will deliver. I just have to hope what we get is even better.

korndawg

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Iowa
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

This isn't the next iPhone gen, it's the next iPod gen.

So the next Ipod is going to have a noise cancelling mic?

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
I mentioned it here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1199828/

I love the iPhone 4 form factor but think the next one will be bigger as everyone wants a massive screen over compact mobile devices. IMO a 3.7" size in the current form factor would be great but looking at the case it looks more like 4" size?
Which is what the original Galaxy had.

This is not the case at all. Everyone doesn't want a larger screen at all. I certainly don't, and plenty of other posters here also do not. I would estimate that only about 25-35% of people who post on MacRumors want a larger screen. For the sake of discussion, let's say I am wrong and it is really more like 50% of MacRumors posters who want a larger screen, this is still nowhere near everyone. It's not even everyone at this forum, only half.

As for the 90% of iPhone users in the world who never go to Apple forums like this, I bet that a huge majority of them never think about a larger screen, and do not want or need one unless Apple releases it and tells them that they need it. It won't even enter their minds unless Apple someday releases a larger screen phone. Until then they will be completely happy. If Apple transitions their iPhone line to having a 4 inch screen, then of course iPhone users will adopt it, but by the same token, if they were to transition to a 3.25 inch screen, iPhone users would also adopt it. Most iPhone users out there are junkies who just need our next Apple fix.

korndawg

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Iowa
This is not the case at all. Everyone doesn't want a larger screen at all. I certainly don't, and plenty of other posters here also do not. I would estimate that only about 25-35% of people who post on MacRumors want a larger screen. For the sake of discussion, let's say I am wrong and it is really more like 50% of MacRumors posters who want a larger screen, this is still nowhere near everyone. It's not even everyone at this forum, only half.

As for the 90% of iPhone users in the world who never go to Apple forums like this, I bet that a huge majority of them never think about a larger screen, and do not want or need one unless Apple releases it and tells them that they need it. It won't even enter their minds unless Apple someday releases a larger screen phone. Until then they will be completely happy. If Apple transitions their iPhone line to having a 4 inch screen, then of course iPhone users will adopt it, but by the same token, if they were to transition to a 3.25 inch screen, iPhone users would also adopt it. Most iPhone users out there are junkies who just need our next Apple fix.

I disagree with all of that. Fact is, niether one of us can say, with certainty, what every one else wants. So don't be throwing out percentages when u have nothing to back it up. IMO, large screens are helping the sales of Android phones.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
I disagree with all of that. Fact is, niether one of us can say, with certainty, what every one else wants. So don't be throwing out percentages when u have nothing to back it up. IMO, large screens are helping the sales of Android phones.

I'll throw out whatever I choose to. I never presented it as fact, only my estimation from participating in this same debate here and on other forums. And as such, it is an accurate representation of my perception. Furthermore, I think you missed my main point. Even if everyone at MacRumors did want a larger screen, which we know they do not (reference me), it still would not constitute everyone who is an iPhone owner. A huge majority of iPhone users do not use forums like MacRumors, could care less about specs or competing with Android. They just want a cool phone made by Apple, and they want it to fit easily into their pocket. We (forum posters) are in the minority and do not constitute everyone by any stretch of the imagination.

The whole reason for my responding to this issue is that I think it is important to voice the other side of the coin. ALOT of people strongly disagree with this and do not under any circumstances want a larger screen. If you do, that is great...but many do not.

n1k1t4

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2011
According to this post by 9to5Mac, the iPhone 5 will feature a tapered edge, a bigger screen, a wider home button, and will be thinner.

Although all these features seem iffy, i'm predicting a bigger screen and a tapered edged iPhone (like the original, iPhone 3G/S).

Also, i don't know if the home button is bigger, or if we'll be seeing LED notifications next to the home button, instead. Remember the iPad 2 case leaks? Apparently this case comes from a similar source. If Apple has started iPhone 5 production, and plans on releasing it in beginning of September along with their iPod event, then this could be legit.
Also, the WSJ did say that the iPhone 5 will be thinner and lighter.

What do you guys think?

For the lazy ones:
9to5maciphone5caseone.jpg

To me that just looks like an iPod touch 4g case with its headphone jack in the wrong place. maybe a factory mistake

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

Wow, over react much??

Anyway say what ever you want but the FACT is that the market is becoming more and more and more full of larger screen smart phones from different manufacturers. FACT.
And this was the basis for my comment, what i can see in the market place. If no one wanted these bigger screen manufactures wouldn't bother making them as they wouldn't sell.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
Wow, over react much??

Anyway say what ever you want but the FACT is that the market is becoming more and more and more full of larger screen smart phones from different manufacturers. FACT.
And this was the basis for my comment, what i can see in the market place. If no one wanted these bigger screen manufactures wouldn't bother making them as they wouldn't sell.

No, not an overreaction...just a reaction. Shocking that there would be any reactions in a discussion forum. In any case, sure there are people out there who actively want a larger screen, but there are also just as many people who do not.

I don't care so much about the choices that Android phones make as I do not want an Android phone. I'm happy with my 3.5 inch iPhone screen. Its nice and portable.

ESPN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
And George W was a better president than Lincoln because more people voted for him!

In fact, America's population was lower during George Washington's reign. Lincoln clearly received more popular votes than George Washington. Most if not all would say George Washington is the better president even after getting less votes.

BuzzMega

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2010
Oh no?

They're going back to jellybean styling? After having graduated into the more serious look of the iP4?

I don't want my phone to look like a ten year old Ford Taurus!

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
We won't know what the phone will look like until Steve shows it. (Obvious, I know.)

I, for one, DO want a bigger screen. It is time for a larger screen. He will probably make the 5 the top model and perhaps keep the 4 as a mid level phone, and offer the 3GS as free on contract.

I also don't mind the curved back. If the phone is bigger, square sides may be uncomfortable, especially for smaller hands.

We can only hope for what we want...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.