Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
In America
I requested a merge since you started the thread first, MacRumors is known to usually give credit to whoever started the thread if it turns out to be a front page item later on, so it should be merged. :)

oh didn't know it worked like that, thanks! :)

Darwing

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

There will be no physical changes to the new iPhone it's apple people they would never change design every year common people has history taught u nothing?

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
Nope, the iPod Touch does NOT have a headphone jack at the top:

overview_hero1_20100901.jpg

Wow, you can see into the future and tell us what the next touch design will be?

KayOhDiWhy

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011
Colorado Springs
Please Be Untrue

I dread the thought that that case is actually that of an iPhone 5. I'm not a fan of the "rounded" siding, its volume buttons, and the sleep/wake button looks noticeable smaller as well. Overall, I'm not thrilled about this design. Apple will have my $200 regardless when it comes out, but I was hoping for a step up from the iPhone 4.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I am always amazed at how many different opinions there are on these forums. Reminds me of Capitol Hill.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't know about having a tapered design on the device though... Think about typing in landscape mode, one size would be thicker than the other. I think this will look more like the iPod touch/iPad 2 than the tapered design people are claiming. I jut don't think apple would let this "flaw" be placed mainstream.

korndawg

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Iowa
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't know about having a tapered design on the device though... Think about typing in landscape mode, one size would be thicker than the other. I think this will look more like the iPod touch/iPad 2 than the tapered design people are claiming. I jut don't think apple would let this "flaw" be placed mainstream.

U know, I never thought about that..........and that is a great point! It would feel pretty bad typing in landscape mode.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Doesn't mean it cannot be moved or will never be moved. You have to look no further then this.
https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//#iPod_Touch

It appears Apple is moving to a two year redesign cycle as seen after the iPhone 3g followed by the 3gS which wasn't a new design but had internal upgrades.

Doing something once doesn't constitute a trend. This is also the first time Apple waited longer than a year to refresh the iPhone, so I don't think past "trends" apply anyway.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
It fits my theory of a more rounded back for the iPhone 5. It's obvious to me that the iPhone 4's flat back was an experiment by Apple that they are not going stick with (see: iPad2).

I guess it depends what you mean by "flat back". Yes, the iPad 2 has tapered edges, but the vast majority of the iPad 2's back sits flat on a surface. You cannot reasonably "rock" an iPad 2 back and forth on a table. The iPhone 3G and 3GS, however, were quite capable of rocking back and forth.

I imagine that the next generation iPhone, if it is indeed a physical redesign, will be in line with the iPad 2 - flat back, tapered edges. A larger screen/slimmer bezel would be sweet too...

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010

Maybe I am not interpreting the case and schematics the same way as you, but I am not seeing one side being thinner than the other. Sure there have been rumors and mock-ups suggesting a teardrop shape, but this case doesn't seem to suggest that to me.

What I see is basically a smaller iPad2. Since the iPad2 has a flat back with tapered edges and is not thinner side to side or top to bottom, I don't expect the iPhone5 to be. Could Apple do this? sure they could, but it would make things harder on case designers, and I don't see a reason for it. Add a couple of millimeters to even it out, stuff extra battery juice in that added area, and its all good to go.

Of course, even if it did have a teardrop shape, I don't see this being hard to type on in landscape mode.

satkin2

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
Looks like the iPhone is going back to how the previous versions looked with these cases. I'd be disappointed to see the iPhone 4 design changed so soon, its a really nice design and in my opinion nicer than the original one.

ModestForumName

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

Well wouldn't the logical title be the iPhone 4G? Since it should have LTE capabilities. And I really hope this isn't the case and it's just the next gen iPod case. I've grown rather fond of the iPhone 4 design.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
Not always for the better. :eek:

This is true...just look at the transition from orig iPhone to the 3G. That was a terrible move aesthetically.

Of course, beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. We'll all have to wait and judge iPhone 5 for ourselves.

korndawg

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Iowa
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

Well wouldn't the logical title be the iPhone 4G? Since it should have LTE capabilities. And I really hope this isn't the case and it's just the next gen iPod case. I've grown rather fond of the iPhone 4 design.

I think the consensus is that the new phone will NOT have 4G/LTE.

OSUzj92

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2011
Am I the only one who likes the design of the iPhone 4? I think it is one of the best looking phones ever made.

At first I was skeptical of the flat back and it felt weird for the first week holding it because I was accustomed to the feel of the 3GS but now I really do like the flat back. I am impressed with the design of the 4. It doesn't rock around when i sit it down. The back of my 4 doesn't have nearly as many cracks or scratches (at least visible) as the 3GS had. Call me an Apple fanboi all you want but I think the 4's design was a step in the right direction and should be kept at least till the 6th design

Sixtafoua

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2009
Boston, MA
It looks like an iPod touch case with a ring/silent switch hole and a headphone jack at the top.
I don't like the iPod touch design as much as the iPhone 4 design, I like the glass on both sides. Grrrrrrrr.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
Looks like the iPhone is going back to how the previous versions looked with these cases. I'd be disappointed to see the iPhone 4 design changed so soon, its a really nice design and in my opinion nicer than the original one.

I agree in some ways with you. It is sad to see the iPhone 4 design abandoned so quickly, assuming that this is true. But what it says to me is that Apple just was unable to find a way to revise the design and eliminate the antenna issues and back glass breakage issues in a design that they liked. I am thinking that there was just no feasible way to make the external antenna work without continued issues. Likewise, maybe they tried every possible material on back instead of glass and they could just not get it to look up to their standards. So, it is sad in some ways, but I'm glad they are making these hard decisions.

ModestForumName

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010

But I thought Qualcomm was releasing a low powered LTE chip this summer/fall. I figured that's the reason apple held off on LTE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.