Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

s

Global Equities Research's Trip Chowdhry issued a research note to investors indicating that Apple is planning to launch three HDTV models by March 2012. The report is relayed by AppleInsider:
He said his "converged view" of data from various developers is "probably" 75 percent accurate, and that it will "probably" be launched in March of 2012, with developer sessions at the Worldwide Developers Conference in June.
Apple's televisions would reportedly come in 3 different models and 3 different price points.

Bose-VideoWave-Entertainment-System.jpg

Bose VideoWave​
Chowdhry compares the concept to the Bose VideoWave which tries to simplify HDTVs by reducing clutter, though Apple's implementation is expected to be improved. Apple's HDTV will reportedly carry 16 speakers giving a "complete surround sound experience" and be one-third as thick as the VideoWave's 6 inches.

We should caution that Chowdhry also claimed last year that Microsoft's Steve Ballmer would speak at Apple's 2010 WWDC conference. A claim that was quickly refuted by Microsoft and never came to pass.

Still, we have been hearing some increased chatter about an Apple television. The rumors were revived early this year with some additional claims from Smarthouse pinpointing an Apple and LG partnership. Meanwhile, we've heard some unverified whispers of the same.

Apple television rumors have a long history with the earliest claims as far back as 2006. Apple does have their Apple TV set top box but has always downplayed its significance. Apple CEO Steve Jobs has also been vocal about the challenges of infiltrating the television marketplace suggesting there are too many industry hurdles and too much fragmentation to overcome.

Article Link: Apple to Launch 3 HDTV Models by March 2012?

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
I really, REALLY doubt it. I can't see how Apple can make their traditional profit in this extremely competitive, commodity-type market of HDTVs.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
Utter nonsense.

Apple charges a grand for a 27" display.

You can get a 40" TV for that.

Lol at comparing Apple to Bose.

Bose makes garbage...Apple does not.

mmcxiiad

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
Apple's HDTV will reportedly carry 16 speakers giving a "complete surround sound experience" and be one-third as thick as the VideoWave's 6 inches.

16 speakers - that is where you lost me. there is no way i could picture  making something like that. That would mean wires and specific locations.... nope that is totally not the way they do things. A surroundbar, maybe. But Apple likes the minimalist design.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
16 speakers - that is where you lost me. there is no way i could picture  making something like that. That would mean wires and specific locations.... nope that is totally not the way they do things. A surroundbar, maybe. But Apple likes the minimalist design.

Uhm, the Bose VideoWave has 16 speakers. They're all contained in the frame.

DSG

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Apple as a TV manufacturer seem unlikely - perhaps more likely is that they would allow third party manufacturers (perhaps LG to begin with) to integrate the Apple TV electronics directly into their TVs. That endpoint would make a lot of sense - and it would explain the utilitarian design of the Apple TV as only an interim step - a device that is designed to hide in the background before disappearing inside the TV itself.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Doubt it'll happen, Apples pricing is generally very high, and i dont know how they plan on competing with other reputable brands with the prices they offer.. As someone mentioned earlier Apples cinema display starts at $999.. You could easily find a much larger 1080p LCD for less.. And not to mention from quality brands such..

But if Apple can provide competitive pricing with apple tv embedded in the display. And if it also has te ability to play IOS games then it'd be pretty awesome..

kiantech

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
The apple tv hdtvs would be way over priced. The margins on these things are so low its not worth it.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Be honest, if apple just made a nice looking lcdtv with some iTunes and apple tv integration at a reasonable price and looked smart then many would buy it.

Their mistake would be to aim at the high end and think they could go right in at the premium end of the market.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
I just can't see them producing a product with enough features to make it worthwhile, and at a decent price.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I can't think of a better way for Apple to lose a few hundred mil.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
The only way I would buy an Apple TV is if it was some super-high resolution (not offered by competitors) otherwise there are simply too many good TV's that would cost a fraction of the price.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Given that Apple is NOT interested in selling low-margin products, why sell a TV and directly compete with Samsung, Vizio, Sony, LG and other flat panel manufacturers?
nea.gif

A better solution is an upgraded Apple TV that plugs into any standard HDMI 1.3a or 1.4 port.

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
...be one-third as thick as the VideoWave's 6 inches

Everything apple makes doesn't have to set a record for thinness. I'd take a set a 1/3 the price over 1/3 the thickness.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
The only way I would buy an Apple TV is if it was some super-high resolution (not offered by competitors) otherwise there are simply too many good TV's that would cost a fraction of the price.

Agreed. Now if they came out with a TV with a retina display, I might be interested, as long as the price wasn't too high

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.