Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After a brief appearance in the New Zealand app store, Skype for iPad has now launched internationally, including the U.S. The much anticipated iPad app offers Skype users 3G and Wi-Fi phone calls and video conferencing. From the release notes:
• Send and receive video using front or back camera on iPhone 4, iPad 2nd Generation, and iPod Touch 4th Generation.
• Send and receive video using rear camera of iPhone 3GS
• Receive video only on iPad 1st Generation and iPod touch 3rd Generation

Skype for iPad is a free download [App Store]. Skype for iPhone and iPod Touch remains available as a separate free download [App Store].

Update: Skype says the app was released prematurely, so they've pulled it.

Update 2: As noticed by Macerkopf.de, Skype for iPad has returned to the App Store. Skype has yet to issue an official announcement about the release, however, so it is unclear if this is the official launch or if it is once again being made available prematurely.

Update 3: Skype has now officially announced the release of Skype for iPad.

Article Link: Skype for iPad Launches in U.S. and Internationally [Updated x3]

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
Yahtzee!!!

Downloading now. Lets hope the push notifications work better than iPhone version.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
And I bet it still lacks Bluetooth support, which is silly because even FaceTime supports it.

I suspect it's not Skype's fault, it's probably a locked down API (to some extent) but it still bugs me.

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
Am I the only one who's not seeing it in the App Store?

Nope, it's not showing up for me either. Dang it... been waiting awhile for this.

Edit: Found it. Have to do a 'show all' on the search results. Sheesh. It should have been the first thing that showed up IMO.

Last edited:

Sailguy

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2011
Nope, it's not showing up for me either. Dang it... been waiting awhile for this.

Just search for it under " Skype"' then show all iPad apps, then scroll a few pages to the right. Not sure why it isn't on the first page, but this should work.

Sail guy

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
To those who can't find it search specifically for "Skype for iPad" and it should come up. Again USA and New Zealand stores only.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
had rotation issues while on call (my image was rotated vertically but still recording horizontally) but otherwise is slick! I dig it :cool:

Skype for iPad is in the iPad apps of the App Store and for me was in the second page (downloaded it straight from my iPad not computer)

MiWall81

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2011
It isn't in the app store... Someone just made me happy, then sad, all in like 30 seconds... What up with that...

iPagan

macrumors regular
May 31, 2010
"This version of Skype is only supported on un-modified iOs only!"

Anyone got that??

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Hey, there it is!

I'm so glad, I was a little bummed out I missed it the first time it snuck out weeks ago...

Free... Install App...

"The item you tried to buy is no longer available"

MRFR!!!

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
"The item you've requested is not currently available in the New Zealand Store."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.