Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bcallen

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2006
Oxford, MS
Today's version

The current version is now 3.0.1 (250) if that makes a difference....

Also I can't find a settings button.... I can't sort or change my view to list form....
Other than that it looks good...

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Depends ....

Video calls are great for situations like family wanting to stay in touch when you're a long distance away from each other.

But for the typical business phone call? No... there's a thing called "tone of voice" you can use to determine if the person you're speaking with seems to be dishonest or uncertain of what they're saying. I don't see the point in wasting all that bandwidth to make most of those calls video calls? One of the benefits of the telephone, IMO, has been the ability to be taken seriously in a phone call without having to "dress the part" first. If you just woke up and you're not even dressed yet, but need to talk business with someone - you can do it without any worries. The caller sees a mental image of you they remember from your last "in person" meeting, if anything. With video calls, you're pressured to worry about your looks on every call. No thanks.

]

eh?

silly for who exactly?

Videocalling has been a total game changer for me and my family, we have a lot of relatives living all across the planet and if you think a video call is no different from a phone call then we (majorly) disagree.

My 2 year old daughter's quality of life has been upped considerably by having the ability to see her grandparents (as well as talk to them); in fact it's been great for her grandparents and us too.

I would also totally prefer to have a lot (if not the majority) of business related calls being made 'face to face' too, huge amounts of communication is non verbal and if someone wants to try and pull a fast one on me, I'd prefer they did it to my face.

skillz1318

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2006
Just found in US store...I was just waiting for update thinking it would be universal, but it's a separate app so just searched for it.

matrael

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2011
Augusta, GA
Skype's put out a Tweet (http://twitter.com/#!/Skype/status/98396516791754752) about it being released again, so perhaps that can be considered an official announcement?

The part that is missing from the post is:

Code:
<a href="http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A//www.macerkopf.de/20110802-skype-fuer-ipad-steht-als-download-bereit&hl=en&langpair=auto|en&tbb=1&ie=UTF-8>

noticed by <i>Macerkopf.de</i></a>, <i>Skype for iPad</i> has returned to the App Store.  Skype has yet to issue an official announcement about the release, however, so it is unclear if this is the official launch or if it is once again being made available prematurely.
					</div>
					<div class=">
						</a>

Mastidon

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
Crashes instantly... Can not use it...

Partially works for me. Can't do video call on iOS 5 Beta 4. Voice call worked but no controls. Every icon I pressed did nothing. Had to kill the app to kill the call.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
So why is this a separate app from the iPod one, having two apps is just irritating.

Really? I mean, I have an iPad and an iPhone in my name, both have their own respective Skype apps, I don't see the significant benefit to having a universal app in this instance as both apps are free anyway? Not like I'm going to have both on my iPad, so I struggle to see why its irritating. :confused:

evergreen25

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2011
Bluetooth headset with skype for ipad?

Does anyone know if you can use a bluetooth headset when making Skype calls using this app?

I don't have a headset at present, but will be buying one in the near future if this is supported.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.