Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Ridiculous?

I think the higher end iPads are way overpriced. $200 more for 48GB extra is just ridiculous. This is 2011 not 2001. 48GB of any type of storage is not worth $200.

You've got to be kidding. I paid $3,500 for a 5MB Profile hard drive in 1981 to attach to my Apple III with 512K of memory which cost $3,000. That was a fair price for what it provided. And that was in 1981 dollars. Complaining that $200 for 48GB of memory has to be from an immature crybaby that has no concept of value.

Apple has to charge what's necessary to please their investors, or they'll end up where they were in the mid 90's. If you don't like it, buy an Android. No one is forcing you to pay the $200.

Pink∆Floyd

macrumors 68020
Nov 21, 2009
Up There
You've got to be kidding. I paid $3,500 for a 5MB Profile hard drive in 1981 to attach to my Apple III with 512K of memory which cost $3,000. That was a fair price for what it provided. And that was in 1981 dollars. Complaining that $200 for 48GB of memory has to be from an immature crybaby that has no concept of value.

Apple has to charge what's necessary to please their investors, or they'll end up where they were in the mid 90's. If you don't like it, buy an Android. No one is forcing you to pay the $200.

Excellent post, with some lolz

cozmot

Mar 16, 2008
Washington, DC
I think the higher end iPads are way overpriced. $200 more for 48GB extra is just ridiculous. This is 2011 not 2001. 48GB of any type of storage is not worth $200.

Are you serious? $200 more is ridiculous for any kind of storage? So you think every kind of storage is the same? The architecture, form factor, manufacturing costs, parts costs and many other factors go into this. And if $200 is a deal breaker for you, then you're shopping with the wrong brand.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Are you serious? $200 more is ridiculous for any kind of storage? So you think every kind of storage is the same? The architecture, form factor, manufacturing costs, parts costs and many other factors go into this. And if $200 is a deal breaker for you, then you're shopping with the wrong brand.

Maybe Apple should make a special iPad model attached to a 2 TB 3.5inch hard drive for an additional $100, and that will shut them up.

mjtomlin

Jan 19, 2002
No, it just means that they are doing better with supply management. I suspect demand has only gone down a few percent.

Not sure how you came to that conclusion. From what Apple has reported, demand is actually still going up for the product. They had a serious backlog for the entire previous quarter. Now that they can make enough to actually meet demand, they'll sell - I predict Apple will sell upwards of 13 million this quarter. and possibly hit 20 million in the Holiday quarter.

mjtomlin

Jan 19, 2002

Eh you're looking at the pricing structure wrong. The "target" is usually the middle model. So they overcharge for a little more on the higher end and under charge on the lower end. This is how the lower model appears so cheap (and why other OEMs are having a hard time beating those prices).

On the higher end $100 gets you 32GB more.
the lower end is $100 less, but only 16GB less.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Or they could blow them out by not making as many. Just like they tend to do with everything else.

They're probably just using up the rest of the components that they contracted for. The iPad 3 is going to be a big surprise and get the competition in an uproar. I hope the do it, it would be a brilliant strategy.

neech7

macrumors member
May 31, 2011
Agreed, I could see them maybe dropping the price with the next generation, They have with the new releases of the other products through the years. Hopefully all the rumors for a fall iPad, is just the same iPad, but cheaper...

They had also raised prices before like on the 2010 Mac Mini. Most likely prices will hold but come with better features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.