Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 5, 2011, 03:25 PM   #76
delonh92
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azentropy View Post
Pay $99 for your own developer's account and you still can!
Legit question. i pay $99, i can still download iOS and itunes beta's on windows?
Old Aug 5, 2011, 03:25 PM   #77
gnagy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by delonh92 View Post
Breaking what law. where is this law. Serious question????
Apple's NDA is a legally binding contract. Breaking the contract is against the law.

I've yet to see anyone go to jail for breaking an NDA, but Apple could sue you and get you in trouble.

Speeding is against the law as well, yet people speed and get away with it all the time.
gnagy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 03:26 PM   #78
iPhone4UK
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprofetto8 View Post
MacRumors needs to update this article as its terribly misleading.
So really whats happening is anyone on beta 1/2 account is being shut off as part of the rules?
iPhone4UK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 03:26 PM   #79
L33t Masta
macrumors newbie

Not gonna lie. My iPhone 4 is activated on a slot I purchased on eBay. If Apple thinks that disabling that account is going to stop me from using beta I'll just find another super cheap slot. Why would they want to stop me from beta testing the OS? I'm still providing bug reports and testing so what's their problem?
L33t Masta is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 03:27 PM   #80
reticulate
macrumors regular

From what I'm reading Apple aren't targeting actual developers who have betas on their wife's iPhone or whatever, but the guys who sell on their device slots to these websites or via other means.

So if you just borrowed a slot from a developer friend, I doubt Apple would care. If you've bought one from a third party, though, I imagine you'll get hosed at some point.

At this rate, the proper version of iOS5 will be out in a month or two anyway. I'd rather wait until they've stomped out the majority of the bugs, personally.
reticulate is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 03:27 PM   #81
aprofetto8
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone4UK View Post
So really whats happening is anyone on beta 1/2 account is being shut off as part of the rules?
I think beta 1/2 has simply expired and anyone who hasn't updated to beta 3/4 have seen their devices deactivated.
aprofetto8 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 03:29 PM   #82
delonh92
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnagy View Post
Apple's NDA is a legally binding contract. Breaking the contract is against the law.

I've yet to see anyone go to jail for breaking an NDA, but Apple could sue you and get you in trouble.

Speeding is against the law as well, yet people speed and get away with it all the time.
Dude, you scared me. That NDA law or rules is for the developers, and them only. they would lose their spot and get kicked out of the programs. that would mean i lose upgrading the betas.

I from now on will pay $99......................................thats gonna hurt in the morning..
Old Aug 5, 2011, 03:29 PM   #83
iSee
macrumors 68030

Quote:
despite many of the details technically being covered by non-disclosure agreements
They aren't "technically" covered by non-disclosure... many of the details are covered by non-disclosure.

Personally, I'm glad Apple is putting the fear into the non-developers abusing developer accounts. The alternative is that Apple would make it harder to get a developer account (higher price, a screening process, etc.)
Old Aug 5, 2011, 03:30 PM   #84
tigres
macrumors 68040

Let me see if I have this straight:

Apple let's the dev have 100 IMEI devices for testing- check
Apple charges said dev's 99/yr for developing and xcode per year - check.
Devs sign NDA - check.

Dev's (SOME), in return- charge others to ride on their account while earning $ for said IMEI's that are not for development purposes -check
People get pissed at apple for fixing the "hole" -check.

That about right?
Old Aug 5, 2011, 03:32 PM   #85
aprofetto8
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by reticulate View Post
From what I'm reading Apple aren't targeting actual developers who have betas on their wife's iPhone or whatever, but the guys who sell on their device slots to these websites or via other means.

So if you just borrowed a slot from a developer friend, I doubt Apple would care. If you've bought one from a third party, though, I imagine you'll get hosed at some point.

At this rate, the proper version of iOS5 will be out in a month or two anyway. I'd rather wait until they've stomped out the majority of the bugs, personally.
I personally don't think Apple is targeting anyone. Just a matter of beta 1/2 expiring and people who haven't upgraded to beta 3/4 have seen their devices get deactivated.

Honestly I don't think you have anything to worry about.
aprofetto8 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 03:34 PM   #86
res1233
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleaa View Post
There is a beta of 10.7.2 out, so I guess you aren't that impatient .
10.7.2 is for iCloud support AFAIK. I want bug fixes.
res1233 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 03:35 PM   #87
objc
macrumors regular

Mac mini: $600. Available used for less. Used itouch $100.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnagy View Post
I disagree.

The minimum cost of entry is around $1300, since one can theoretically develop iPhone apps using the cheapest macbook air ($999) and test on an iPod ($200). But that's assuming there are no extra costs other than the laptop, test device, and the dev license.
/* else clause unneeded */
objc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 03:38 PM   #88
DefiantSoul
macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A5274d)

Ok, first... All this is a moot issues because the problem is that beta 2 expired last night. Second, if you need to, you can in fact restore to 4.x. Third, I don't understand the anger people have towards those that are excited enough to want an early peak at new software. How exactly do they hurt you personally in any way?
DefiantSoul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 03:38 PM   #89
Jerome Morrow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanotherdave View Post
Who is showing off? I like playing with new software and am prepared to put up with bugs.

I am slightly surprised at the reaction here, I can't be the only person who wants new toys early!
You don't have that right. DO YOU UNDERSTAND? I see that you don't. Face the consequences now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigres View Post
Let me see if I have this straight:

Apple let's the dev have 100 IMEI devices for testing- check
Apple charges said dev's 99/yr for developing and xcode per year - check.
Devs sign NDA - check.

Dev's (SOME), in return- charge others to ride on their account while earning $ for said IMEI's that are not for development purposes -check
People get pissed at apple for fixing the "hole" -check.

That about right?
Exactly right. Bummer huh?
Jerome Morrow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 03:40 PM   #90
ct2k7
macrumors 603

Quote:
Dude, you scared me. That NDA law or rules is for the developers, and them only. they would lose their spot and get kicked out of the programs. that would mean i lose upgrading the betas.

I from now on will pay $99......................................thats gonna hurt in the morning..
By accepting to use the software on your device, you accept that you are an indirect member of the iOS Developer's Program, and are in fact, bound by the NDA.
ct2k7 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 03:42 PM   #91
rhett7660
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navdakilla View Post
sucks for those that got deactivated, but have actual legit dev accounts
However if the sold the codes,,, then no sympathy here. Shame on them.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 03:43 PM   #92
Ubuntu
macrumors 68000

Kinda glad they did this. On the one hand I'd appreciate why a developer would do this - its easy to judge them but if we were in their position I wonder how many would still refrain from doing this. But ultimately, I didn't like it because random people would be using the beta and then coming here and complaining about how they've just lost hundreds of photos and blame Apple for their own screwups, or expect us to fix their issues when they could have just been patient and waited for the official iOS 5 release.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 03:44 PM   #93
AnthonyHarris
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *LTD* View Post
Pay to play. Like everyone else.
I pay £45 pounds a month for my iPhone and I've had the first, second and third generation iPhone. I've spent over £4000 on Apple computers, peripherals and accessories.

Add another £3000 or more for iTunes purchases, OS X and other software. I pay plenty.

It might be wrong, and I might be impatient, but I'm a loyal Apple user, and I like to have advanced previews of iOS.

I don't moan when it crashes, or apps don't load. I restart and carry on... In any case, while it might not be right, I wanted to have a go with iOS 5.

I love this attempt to scare monger... lol.

A note to all the self righteous folks here slapping wrists, get over yourselves.
AnthonyHarris is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 03:45 PM   #94
delonh92
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct2k7 View Post
By accepting to use the software on your device, you accept that you are an indirect member of the iOS Developer's Program, and are in fact, bound by the NDA.
Noted. Currently downgrading to latest 4.3.X
Old Aug 5, 2011, 03:46 PM   #95
*LTD*
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyHarris View Post
I pay £45 pounds a month for my iPhone and I've had the first, second and third generation iPhone. I've spent over £4000 on Apple computers, peripherals and accessories.

Add another £3000 or more for iTunes purchases, OS X and other software. I pay plenty.

It might be wrong, and I might be impatient, but I'm a loyal Apple user, and I like to have advanced previews of iOS.

I don't moan when it crashes, or apps don't load. I restart and carry on... In any case, while it might not be right, I wanted to have a go with iOS 5.

I love this attempt to scare monger... lol.

A note to all the self righteous folks here slapping wrists, get over yourselves.
Your "loyalty" gives you no special consideration and certainly gives you no special privileges in terms of the rules.

No one cares how much Apple gear you have or how long you've bought it. The rules apply to all equally.

If Apple hands out free previews, then great. If they don't, they don't. It's up to them. You aren't entitled to anything unless you go through the proper channels and understand whatever agreements and conditions are associated with them.
*LTD* is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 03:46 PM   #96
azentropy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Legit question. i pay $99, i can still download iOS and itunes beta's on windows?
As of right now, yes. They still have the iTunes 10.5 beta 4 for Windows download accessible or iOS developers.

However there have been other releases though that have been installable from Macs only.
azentropy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 03:47 PM   #97
TimTheEnchanter
macrumors 6502a

Same happened to my iPhone last night. My brother and I are legit developers (I'm graphics and tester). Mine was still on beta 2, as I have been busy with other projects and haven't upgraded. I got home, installed the iTunes update and iOS update, ran the next OTA update and I was back up fine. No notices from Apple or lock-outs.

I think they just simply disabled earlier beta(s) as a first step and honestly it makes sense to from a developing standpoint. I do also believe that they are going after certain accounts that have obvious signs of abuse. That said, I'm sure some legit people have been burned by such a move which sucks and hopefully Apple will reinstate those that after people make respectful a call to them.

A little heads-up from Apple would have been nice, but I do understand why they did it.
RIP: too many Macs to list...AppleII-PMG5
TimTheEnchanter is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 03:48 PM   #98
trajen
macrumors 6502a

Rules were made to be broken. Apple's only pissed because some "devs" are making money off their beta firmware. $76+ billion must not be enough.
trajen is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 03:49 PM   #99
8CoreWhore
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanotherdave View Post
That part is a lot of a dick move by apple. Fair enough suspending the account, but people on iOS5b this way are the people who are probably your most keen customers!
I agree. The people that bought UDID's so they can get the latest greatest intended no harm to Apple, are making no money, and are huge iPhone fans.

Yes, Apple has a right to stop it, but not kill their phones. The "developers" on the other hand... I think this is the distinction lost on many here....
Old Aug 5, 2011, 03:49 PM   #100
taylortm
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantSoul View Post
I don't understand the anger people have towards those that are excited enough to want an early peak at new software. How exactly do they hurt you personally in any way?
1) lots of lamers posting negative (1-star) ratings on App Store because our (the legit dev's) apps don't (yet) work with iOS5. We are left to assume that these "lamers" are not dev's... just tools that want to show off their iOS5-ness.

2) less saliently, lots of FUD on these forums (and iphonedevsdk) from these same lamers.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion