Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A class-action lawsuit has been filed against Apple and 5 of the 6 major book publishers, alleging they "colluded to increase prices for popular e-book titles to boost profits and force e-book rival Amazon to abandon its pro-consumer discount pricing."

ibooks.jpg

The lawsuit, filed this afternoon in the Northern District of California claims Apple and Hachette, HarperCollins, MacMillan, Penguin, and Simon & Shuster illegally worked together to enable an "agency model" as the standard for e-book sales, rather than the "wholesale model" that is used in the physical publishing industry. The complaint argues that the strategy was unfair and anticompetitive because e-book prices rose after the agreements were in place.

From the lawsuit:
In November 2007, Amazon revolutionized the book publishing industry by releasing the Kindle, a handheld digital reader for electronic books or "eBooks." Using proprietary "electronic ink" technology, the Kindle replicated the appearance of ink on paper and introduced numerous efficiency-enhancing characteristics, including portability and other advantages of a digital format.

A major economic advantage to eBook technology is its potential to massively reduce distribution costs historically associated with brick-and-mortar publishing. But publishers quickly realized that if market forces were allowed to prevail too quickly, these efficiency enhancing characteristics would rapidly lead to lower consumer prices, improved consumer welfare, and threaten the current business model and available surplus (profit margins). So, faced with disruptive eBook technology that threatened their inefficient and antiquated business model, several major book publishers, working with Apple Inc. ("Apple"), decided free market competition should not be allowed to work - together they coordinated their activities to fight back in an effort to restrain trade and retard innovation. The largest book publishers and Apple were successful.
When Apple introduced the iBookstore, it used a so-called "agency model" where publishers set the price for their content and Apple takes a 30% cut. It's the same pricing model that Apple uses on the iTunes Store for music, and on the App Store. It's a change from the "wholesale model" that Amazon had been using for e-books and it and brick-and-mortar stores like Barnes & Noble continue to use for physical book sales.

Eventually, Amazon and the various book publishers came to agreements regarding the agency model and e-books have been priced that way ever since. Random House was the only major publisher to resist the agency model -- making it a late entry to the iBookstore. Random House books finally joined Apple's bookstore earlier this year.

Publishers were concerned that Amazon's aggressive $9.99/book pricing strategy -- where the bookseller sold books for a loss, presumably to drive adoption of its new Kindle platform -- would quickly erode the profits and reduce the perceived value of their books. Random House was concerned the agency model would lead to a price war between the publishing houses.

This lawsuit alleges that as a "direct result of this anticompetitive conduct as intended by the conspiracy, the price of eBooks has soared" and "bring claims under federal and state antitrust laws to enjoin the illegal conduct and to obtain damages."

We've uploaded the filing to Scribd.

Article Link: Class-action Suit Filed Against Apple and 5 Book Publishers Over E-book Pricing

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
This was truly one of the most evil things Apple did, not too long after Steve Jobs publicly proclaimed that "Nobody reads books anymore."

Until he realized that he can ride to higher profits on the burgeoning e-book sales, that is.

I hope the suit wins. It will be better for all consumers.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
Who is suing? I only see 2 people listed as plantiffs. Not much of a class action lawsuit. The 1st guy bought ONE book above 9.99. The second guy purchased "several" books above 9.99 for his...Sony Ereader? You couldn't and still can't buy Kindle books for the Sony Ereader. Kindle DRM won't allow it unless you strip the DRM away, so he was already breaking the law to get his book on.

As far as I'm concerned the only person that may (and I mean may very loosely) have a right to argue coluusion is AMAZON, not some guy who had to spend a few dollars more on a single book.

Last edited:

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Who cares! if you don't want to pay for an e-book pay full price at the bookstore!

Ok, I'll just drive down to my local borde.... oh, they closed down.
Ok, I'll just drive down to my local barns and no..., oh, they closed down as well.
Ok, I'll just drive down to my local mom & pop book sto..., oh, they were ironically closed down by Borders and B&N years ago.
Ok, e-book it is.

BeauPaul

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2011
Windsor Locks, Connecticut
Ok, I'll just drive down to my local borde.... oh, they closed down.
Ok, I'll just drive down to my local barns and no..., oh, they closed down as well.
Ok, I'll just drive down to my local mom & pop book sto..., oh, they were ironically closed down by Borders and B&N years ago.
Ok, e-book it is.

My point and usually less expensive!

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8L1)

Let me see if I get this right, Amazon dictating the price of ebooks was 'free market' and Apple letting the publishers set the price is 'anti-competitive'?

Singin Hobo

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I vote on the side of creative professionals and their representatives. The publishing industry doesn't want to end up like the music industry, being completely under the power of a single retailer.

Whiny consumers need to be reminded that some things have value and cost money.

KiraDouji

macrumors member
Yeah where are all the "green people" now? bitching about the price!

And they should be. There is no where NEAR the same overhead needed for an ebook as is needed to produce and distribute a physical book. Reminds me of Costco vs. Sams -- Costco does business on the notion that there's no reason for 'windfall' profits: if the price to produce goes down, the price of the product goes down too. Period. Sams just eats the created margin. The same is true here. Rather than attempting to push market growth and encourage adaptation, we're being hamstrung by higher prices for pure greed. Make no mistake, the production cost on e-books already were already lower and are only going down. We're being price gouged.

:apple:

splashnader

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Via Satellite
OFFS another class action lawsuit against Apple. Nobody is forcing you to buy an ebook from the iBookstore. If you don't want to pay the increased feea associated with the convenience of purchasing something on a digital device, then you don't have to.

These people in the suit are only after money. And Apple is a big target lately.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
My point and usually less expensive!

Even if e-books were priced the same, when you factor in Gas, Time and Effort (not that I'm lazy, I just commute a lot for work), I would rather go the online route for not just books, but music and movies as well.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Does Amazon dictate book prices to the Publishers as well as the model like they do with their AppStore?

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Good! I hope they win.

It's ridiculous that ebooks cost the same or MORE than physical books. Fact is this is collusion on pricing, and publishers are trying to protect the layers of middle men no longer needed. Many many authors who turned to ebooks self published report they make the same money selling ebooks at $2/book as they did using publishers of physical books.

ebooks are NOT worth $10 or higher. More like half that (at MOST). Until then, everyone should pirate the ebooks.

Headrush69

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2007
This was truly one of the most evil things Apple did, not too long after Steve Jobs publicly proclaimed that "Nobody reads books anymore."

Until he realized that he can ride to higher profits on the burgeoning e-book sales, that is.
How are these two things contradictory?
He didn't say people don't read, he said don't read books.

Jonny1989

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
Amazon are sueing companies becuase they price their eBooks higher than theyre own? that is pathetic. Surely because they have their prices cheaper more people will go to them inturn making more $.

Ive never heard of people going to browse shops to buy the most expensive clothing item when you can get it cheaper somewhere else.

or am i missing something?

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
I do think some e-books are over priced, but claiming collusion in this case is absurd. The Agency model removes Apple from the pricing model all together. I suppose publishers may be colluding, but there does not seem to be any evidence of that.

Amazon never had all of their new releases at 9.99, they did used to have more then they do now, but it was never 100%. Since day 1 Amazon has always said prices are dictated by publishers too.

Amazon are sueing companies becuase they price their eBooks higher than theyre own? that is pathetic. Surely because they have their prices cheaper more people will go to them inturn making more $.

Ive never heard of people going to browse shops to buy the most expensive clothing item when you can get it cheaper somewhere else.

or am i missing something?

Amazon is not a party to this lawsuit..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.