Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Why is it that Intel doesn't really seem to do their best work unless threatened with loss of revenue to competitors?

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Spin it however you want, but power consumption pretty much dictates how good a machine is these days.

I do agree with this. No one is ripping movies or converting them, and the average Joe uses half of their CPU's power on a "high-performance need" day. Consumers want battery life.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Why are you people so against the ARM switch?

Apple is obliviously not going to move unless they are up to par. If next year, ARM was to provide processors better than intel's in both power and performance, Why wouldn't apple switch over?

We are talking about the future here, anything is possible.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

hate the image of apple as of late, its gone to their head or sth

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I really don't feel that AMD can scale well enough, or would want to play in an Apple ecosystem. I love AMD, but not sure it would be a good fit for Apple.

I really hope Apple doesn't burn an other bridge with a Processor manufacturer.

What I find very interesting is the power Apple has to force this issue. You also point out something else about Apple they are very, very demanding. Which is from the consumer point of view makes for excellent products with no compromises that effect performance, or quality. Being a hamradio operator I into electronics from vacuum tubes to the present surface mount stuff. The innards of Apple products are as beautiful as their outsides, they are in fact engineered like like old console radios of the late 1930's. The size is vastly different, of course, but the care in the engineering is the same.

MacLowes

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2011
edit: "Other recent speculative bat**** crazy reports have indicated..."

Last edited by a moderator:

mrlhxc

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2010
Yup

Wouldn't surprise me to see ARM in Macs. I wouldn't care if they are more powerful than the current offerings, probably unlikely though. If they switch to ARM and drop their "professional" apps its over for me. I bought a Mac last year because of their reliability and lack of issues when it comes to recording. I've been building PC's for 7 years, i'll go right back to Intel/AMD x86/x64 when or if Apple switches. There's no need to pay more for junk. Don't get me wrong, i would still buy their gadgets cause it makes sense to use ARM on them. And like i said, if ARM is powerful enough, software made the transition, and apple doesn't abandon pro apps, i'll still look foward to buying another Mac.

Last edited:

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009

Apple is obliviously not going to move unless they are up to par. If next year, ARM was to provide processors better than intel's in both power and performance, Why wouldn't apple switch over?

Those who know something about CPU design understand all too well that ARM to Intel CPUs is like small Suzuki cars (low gasoline consumption) to BMWs. While BWM can easily produce high gas mileage car, Suzuki can not produce a good car. Same is true for Intel and ARM.

All of the MacPros use server-class CPUs.

All five of them?

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
it would really suck if Apple left the x86 platform for ARM. x86 is hands down the best thing that's happened to apple in recent years.

as a developer i value power and virtualization. you can't beat being able to concurrently run several versions of windows for testing purposes. plus the new sandy bridge macbook pros scream and are actually very good value when looking at similarly spec'd other brands.

i really don't miss the days of slow and expensive PowerPC systems (yes i know the benchmarks claimed they were faster). moving to ARM arch would really be a bad move.

AMD however - no probs there other than speed - but that might change.

Don't you just think that Apple meant not using Intel chips for the MacBook Air and not switching to ARM processors on all their other computers? Certainly Apple wouldn't be using a ARM-powered Mac Pro. At least with Apple pushing Intel to design lower power chips, it's a win for the entire computer industry. Better battery life, lighter and thinner designs will benefit everyone, manufacturers and consumers alike. It might have a tendency to drive costs up at first, but I think it's worth it in the long run.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
Those who know something about CPU design understand all too well that ARM to Intel CPUs is like small Suzuki cars (low gasoline consumption) to BMWs. While BWM can easily produce high gas mileage car, Suzuki can not produce a good car. Same is true for Intel and ARM.

The Kizashi begs to differ.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
On September 8, 2007 I uttered:

http://communities.intel.com/thread/1111

Rocketman on Intel forum said:
I agree with Joe Dragon, but add make exceptionally low power total system boards so battery times can be measured in days not hours. Make quad or oct core since when you use a device whether it be a computer or a handheld you want to be able to initiate as many simultaneous tasks as possible. Make multi-homing to a variety of wired and wireless access services a baseline function as well as some of the more interesting aspects of the internet. Remote ssh, ftp, pop, and tunneling to your designated servers. I want the whole world in my hand and I want to do nearly zero labor to access it once configured.
Rocketman

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Intel does not really care that much about Apple with their 5% Worldwide PC share (way behind real computer companies). Not just that, they mostly buy Intel's cheapest chips (they do not produce servers).

right there are no Xeons in the mac pro..what was I thinking??

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX

The two things I am curious about is is the 64bit ARM ISA yet, and in order for ARM to have performance equal to Intel, what are the tradeoffs.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010

All five of them?

Yeah but Suzuki, does not have the largest company in the world buying for them and willing to invest in them to make these 'Cars' that Apple needs in order to have all their systems running on the same processor.

On the why intel should care point... Apple is the very few PC makers with a growth in market share.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Spin it however you want, but power consumption pretty much dictates how good a machine is these days.

That is actually a really great point. I am more likely to hear someone complain about a dead, or dying battery, than I am about how slow a given phone is (Android or iOS).

A fast phone with a 10 minute battery is worth less than a decently quick phone that can last 24+ hours, for many people. ((ok that example is a bit extreme ))

What I find very interesting is the power Apple has to force this issue. You also point out something else about Apple they are very, very demanding. Which is from the consumer point of view makes for excellent products with no compromises that effect performance, or quality. Being a hamradio operator I into electronics from vacuum tubes to the present surface mount stuff. The innards of Apple products are as beautiful as their outsides, they are in fact engineered like like old console radios of the late 1930's. The size is vastly different, of course, but the care in the engineering is the same.

I too appreciate (perhaps as a fellow HAM :eek: ) the internal workings and industrial design you mention in your post. I think it is good that they try (in their own way) to take good care of their customers, by attempting to provide the best possible all around experience.

The overall integration, and compatibility of all Apple Hardware, with other Apple products is a nice feature that many take for granted, or forget at times.

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Apple holds considerable away over Intel in terms of selling a premium product and being able to pay higher prices and demand better performance than the $299 PC makers who have to take what is left. Go through any airport and you will see PC users in a dirty corner on the floor where there is an outlet available. Mac users are not out hunting electrons. This difference creates a huge psychological advantage for Apple and I must say I enjoy sitting in a chair instead of on the grubby floor.

That said, Apple's window for abandoning OS X and moving to iOS closed some time ago. Apple now owns the high end of the computer market. When the switch was made to Intel chips, Apple had about 4% of the market and many were loyal hobbyists who were willing to move as Apple moved. Today with 12%, many customers are serious business users who are not to be trifled with. Just as Microsoft is now trapped within the constraints of Windows 95 which remain a part of Windows-Whatever today, Apple is stuck with its hardware architecture choices which were made in 2006. On the plus side, OS X is far more flexible than Windows, but I just don't see Apple making the killer mistake of forcing a change of all software just when they have market momentum beyond anyone's dreams on their side.

What I see Apple doing is motivating Intel to follow their lead by evolving hardware to better serve the software rather than the software having to adapt to the hardware that is available.

ddarko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2007
Why are people assuming the Intel guy was talking about the loss of Apple business across-the-board? Nothing in the article says that. The Intel guy is director of Intel's Ultrabook division and the article is specifically about ultraslim notebooks so it follows that he's speaking about this segment of the market. Not desktops, not conventional notebooks. Power consumption is obvious a huge factor in the ultraslim segment so it makes sense Apple pushed hard for Intel to reduce power for that form factor. But there's nothing in the WSJ article to suggest Apple was threatening a wholesale move of ALL its desktops and notebooks from Intel to something else, which is what people seem to have believe.

Macrumors read something into that article that isn't there. John Gruber on Daring Fireball was careful to note Apple was talking about mobile computing but Macrumors' reporting gives the impression Apple was threatening to walk away from the whole platform.

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
Intel does not really care that much about Apple with their 5% Worldwide PC share...

I doubt whether Intel care too much about Apple's market share, but they will care about the kudos / PR value. Apple is big news, even if it is because of iDevices these days, and any switch from Intel in the Mac line would generate a lot of publicity.

x86 is hands down the best thing that's happened to apple in recent years.

Don't want split hairs, but I would argue that it was the fact that Apple moved away from IBM and their poor roadmap, rather than specifically switching to x86, that made the difference. I believe that if (e.g.) AMD had offered the right chips, roadmap and deal in 2005 then Jobs would have moved to them.

Last edited:

Speedy2

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2008
That's utter nonsense. Apple is below 5% market share worldwide. They are a nice customer for Intel, but sure not someone to dictate their roadmap.

Intel has simply realised that ARM could be a threat if they are not sticking to their usual high speed of innovation. And they've realised that power consumption IS an issue. Intel CPUs are already pretty good in this respect (compared to AMD), but there's always room for improvement. Mobile computers will replace desktops eventually, and better mobility and longer battery life never hurts.

Edit: also, in case people haven't noticed, there's no one Apple could switch to. Not now, not in 3 years. Maybe in 5 years, but apparently Intel got the memo that ARM is planning an attack..

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Yeah but Suzuki, does not have the largest company in the world buying for them and willing to invest in them to make these 'Cars' that Apple needs in order to have all their systems running on the same processor.

On the why intel should care point... Apple is the very few PC makers with a growth in market share.

I guess the question Intel should be asking is does Apple have enough clout to actually break from x86(x64) and be able to take customers with them?

xionxiox

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Hell
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

hate the image of apple as of late, its gone to their head or sth

This is nothing new >_> If your technology isn't up to snuff Apple will abandon it. And I don't think the people on MR realize the Intel already made the changes required, so why are you all getting upset?

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Why are people assuming the Intel guy was talking about the loss of Apple business across-the-board? Nothing in the article says that. The Intel guy is director of Intel's Ultrabook division and the article is specifically about ultraslim notebooks so it follows that he's speaking about this segment of the market. Not desktops, not conventional notebooks. Power consumption is obvious a huge factor in the ultraslim segment so it makes sense Apple pushed hard for Intel to reduce power for that form factor. But there's nothing in the WSJ article to suggest Apple was threatening a wholesale move of ALL its desktops and notebooks from Intel to something else, which is what people seem to have believe.

Macrumors read something into that article that isn't there. John Gruber on Daring Fireball was careful to note Apple was talking about mobile computing but Macrumors' reporting gives the impression Apple was threatening to walk away from the whole platform.

Why would apple have different set of processors on different PC's?

iMac's with Intel and Macbook's with AMD/ARM? Never gonna happen.

johncarync

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2005
Cary, NC
Answer your wake-up calls or snooze into oblivion

Apple informed Intel that it better drastically slash its power consumption or would likely lose Apple's business. "It was a real wake-up call to us."

If you get a wake-up call from one of your customers, it means you haven't been listening to them.

Other companies that have recently been getting wake-up calls:
Acer
Nokia
Microsoft
RIM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.