Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
Is a suitable alternative to installing Flash on my MBA?

How does Click to Flash work?

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Is a suitable alternative to installing Flash on my MBA?

How does Click to Flash work?

It simply disables the flash component until you click it. It just gives you the choice which is a lot nicer on the MBA as Flash is known to kill the battery. You'd still have Flash on your MBA, its just a lot more controlled because flash content won't load automatically, which is the way it should be imo!

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
I found it unnecessary. I just use adblock, which disables all Flash ads. If I do see Flash content, it's because I purposely went looking for it.

62tele

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
Thanks for responses.

I'm going to try it.

Do I understand correctly that it plays content in Quicktime?

treynolds

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2010
Seattle
Thanks for responses.

I'm going to try it.

Do I understand correctly that it plays content in Quicktime?

No, it plays Flash content normally; you just have to click on the Flash icon to get it to play. Very slick and absolutely essential IMO on an MBA.

Tony

jfcmc

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2011
I do on old powermacs...

Is your clicktoflash still working on youtube (playing quicktime)?

Mine stopped on my ibook g4, and I can't seem to even find a working forum to post the issue on the old CTF site.

Lighthouse says CTF cancelled their support site.

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
To install click2flash in Lion, you must go into Safari, goto Preferences, goto Extensions, goto Get Extensions (button) and download it there. I could not get it to work downloading it from the Internet. (That's for Snow Leopard I think)

And yes, I use it and swear by it and recommend it to all my friends and customers with Macs.

I easily get at least 30 min more battery time - although I use the Internet a lot.

iphonsteve4ajob

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2011
Click2ToPlugin Now...

I wanted to use C2F, but on the website there's a disclaimer at the top >>

Note: Safari 5.1 drops support for WebKit Plugins, which unfortunately includes ClickToFlash.
Try out Marc Hoyois’ ClickToPlugin Safari Extension.

So...I've been using ClickToPlugin and I have to say I'm very impressed. The preference menu is a bit complicated, but you'll figure it out in a couple of days.

Don't know if you do much YouTube surfing, but if you do you should "opt in" to the html5 trial >>> http://www.youtube.com/html5. Doing so will let you view videos which are available in html5 format, and if not will revert to the normal Flash player. However, remember that if you enable ClickToPlugin on YouTube, your browser will attempt to use an html5 player for "all" videos.

I actually disabled ClickToPlugin on YouTube since I opted into the html5 trial. Specifically because some of the videos I enjoy watching just load faster using the Flash player. I don't feel the need to block all Flash content on YouTube.

As for the rest of the web, yes ClickToPlugin all the way!

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I wanted to use C2F, but on the website there's a disclaimer at the top >>

Note: Safari 5.1 drops support for WebKit Plugins, which unfortunately includes ClickToFlash.
Try out Marc Hoyois’ ClickToPlugin Safari Extension.

So...I've been using ClickToPlugin and I have to say I'm very impressed. The preference menu is a bit complicated, but you'll figure it out in a couple of days.

Don't know if you do much YouTube surfing, but if you do you should "opt in" to the html5 trial >>> http://www.youtube.com/html5. Doing so will let you view videos which are available in html5 format, and if not will revert to the normal Flash player. However, remember that if you enable ClickToPlugin on YouTube, your browser will attempt to use an html5 player for "all" videos.

I actually disabled ClickToPlugin on YouTube since I opted into the html5 trial. Specifically because some of the videos I enjoy watching just load faster using the Flash player. I don't feel the need to block all Flash content on YouTube.

As for the rest of the web, yes ClickToPlugin all the way!

There's still a stand-alone ClickToFlash extension......you can find it here along with the ClickToPlugin extension: http://hoyois.github.com/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
So far, I've been quite happy using Safari without Flash installed. I have youtube setup to use html5 (youtube.com/html5), which covers a lot.

I also installed google Chrome, which has a flash player built in. If there is ever a place I want to go that requires flash, I just fire up chrome real quick.

askrib

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2011
Can you install "click to flash" on the Chrome web browser? If so....how ?

Thanks!

chiamac

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2010
Google Chrome

I don't have Flash installed.

I use Google Chrome (has Flash built into the browser, keeps my OS clean of Flash) with the "Click to Play" option enabled, it functions just like Click2Flash and disables other plugins besides Flash, I love it:

googlechromeclickplugin.png

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I love Click to Flash. It's not so much that the ads bother me, but my battery life is greatly improved without all the useless flash content wasting resources.

askrib

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2011
I don't have Flash installed.

I use Google Chrome (has Flash built into the browser, keeps my OS clean of Flash) with the "Click to Play" option enabled, it functions just like Click2Flash and disables other plugins besides Flash, I love it:

Thank you!

But for the people that dont know how to get to that page to do so.....was me (had to google it). Type in "about:flags" in URL. Then scroll down to "click to play". Works great!

Thanks again.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I used to use it, but I read somewhere that even with Click2Flash installed, the website registers you using Flash, which doesn't incentivise them to change. Instead, I uninstalled Flash, and just use Chrome for those sites that require it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.