Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

BGR reports that Apple appears to already be testing a 4G LTE-enabled iPhone with carriers, as evidenced by a special internal carrier test build of iOS carrying a property list file for LTE compatibility.
While we can't confirm that the upcoming fifth-generation iPhone will be able to support 4G LTE, we can now exclusively confirm that Apple's carrier partners are testing iPhone models with LTE capability. BGR has obtained evidence of an internal iOS test build from one of Apple's major carrier partners, and buried in the firmware is a property list (.plist file) for LTE.
The iPhone 5 is expected to support HSPA+ technology for GSM networks, which is being marketed by many carriers as "4G", but carriers are also beginning their rollouts of 4G LTE networks that will bring even faster data speeds. Apple has indicated, however, that it has been reluctant to adopt LTE technology so far due to a lack of appropriate chipsets, with size, power and other issues forcing design compromises that Apple has been unwilling to make. LTE chips suitable for Apple's needs are reportedly set to debut in early 2012.

iphone_lte_plist_bgr.jpg

It should come as no surprise that Apple has been testing LTE technology for the iPhone as it seeks to find the proper time to deploy the functionality. Apple has notably been conservative in adopting the latest cellular technology standards, as evidenced by the original iPhone debuting with only EDGE capabilities when a number of carriers had already begun building out their 3G networks.

Article Link: Carriers Testing LTE-Enabled iPhone?

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Hardware support of LTE != Carrier testing. Code is needed to support any hardware, even if it were just a bunch of parts on a circuit board.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
I would bet on iPhone 6. Given Apple's demands for battery life, it doesn't seem likely right now.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
If the iPhone 5 were to have LTE, it's a reason for many people to upgrade. What other features is it going to have? (Only one I can think of is a rumoured bigger screen)

It needs some big feature to encourage people to get it.

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
4G phones have been coming out for months now. They'll almost have to have it because a 4g is better than 3g because the number is bigger.

This is what alot of people think. Whether they play this game remains to be seen.

Biolizard

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008
London, United Kingdom
Before any LTE-fanboys suddenly soil their underwear in the manner which is normally restricted to 2am in the morning, huddled over your MBP (contents of screen shall not be discussed) hoping your parents are fast asleep...

As we've seen from the 3G-MBP, Apple tests lots of stuff, and not all of it makes it to production, or at least not necessarily that quickly. This in no way 'proves' that iPhone 5 will have LTE. It's evidence for it, but given Apple's stance on what are currently very power consuming chips, IMO iPhone 6 is the more likely contender.

What it does show is that Apple's research team are doing the sensible, and tbh expected, thing of trying to work out how best to get LTE technology into a phone in such a way that its inclusion is acceptable to the top brass. The iPhone and iPad were under development for years and only saw the light of day when Steve thought they were ready. LTE will come, but not necessarily right away.

Lochias

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2008
Virginia
HW, code, and carrier testing

Hardware support of LTE != Carrier testing. Code is needed to support any hardware, even if it were just a bunch of parts on a circuit board.

What am I missing? The starting point here is the report of "testing a 4G LTE-enabled iPhone with carriers" and "evidence of an internal iOS test build ... buried in the firmware."

LTR-enabled iPhone + internal iOS test build == hardware and code.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Not meant negative, but neither of you know anything about the battery of the iPhone 5. You are making assumptions based on the current iPhone battery.

We know that Tim Cook has said the negatives of LTE right now is it forces compromises they are not willing to make. Obviously, apple cares about battery. I think it is an obvious, good assumption that battery is one of those compromises.....(based on Thunderbolt battery life and others). LTE chips are Not good enough for apple yet.

wilheldp

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2008
Given Apple's relatively long product cycle, and the fact that the current iteration of the iPhone is over a year old already, it would be really damaging not to have LTE in the next iPhone (4S or 5). If the new model does indeed get released in Sept/Oct, that means that it will probably be Sept. 2012 before the next model is released. By that time, LTE deployment should be in full swing, and Apple will be far behind its competitors who are already rolling out LTE-capable phones.

My entirely unfounded guess is that the energy-efficient LTE chips scheduled to roll out in early 2012 will make their debut in the iPhone 4S/5 this Fall. Apple has proven that they can get early access to new parts, and keep the manufacturers quiet about them until Apple releases a product containing them. But I guess none of us will know for sure until the next media event.

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I would bet on iPhone 6. Given Apple's demands for battery life, it doesn't seem likely right now.

Makes sense. Just because iPhone 5 hasn't been released yet doesn't mean that they aren't already working iPhone 6 and considering implications of LTE. They should just be working out bugs on the iPhone 5 by now (assuming the launch is in the next month or so) leaving the design team ready for its next design.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Not meant negative, but neither of you know anything about the battery of the iPhone 5. You are making assumptions based on the current iPhone battery.

No, they were probably making assumptions on the current 4G-LTE smartphones and their terrible battery life.

fjsiskilroy

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2011
Auburn Hills MI
4G superphone, 3G pre-paid?

Having an LTE capable device might be a great differentiator between the rumored iPhone and the pre-paid version (iPhone 4s) everyone has been speculating about.

By moving teh release date from June to possible September October, Apple might have given itself the possibility of going ahead with LTE before 2012. Waiting until September 2012 to get 4G might be too late for Apple. Verizon has been very aggressive in expanding its LTE footprint. Apple no longer needs to wait for At&T.

The rumored dimensions of the new iPhone show it to be slightly wider. This should accommodate extra battery to compensate LTE consumption. Normally I would agree that 2012 would make more sense for Apple, but the market may not wait.

And it would be a very powerful incentive to move away from Android.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
I've been testing an LTE device for work-- the LG Revolution. I understand completely why Apple is reluctant to adopt the technology. The phone is a piece of crap. I take it off the charger at 8 AM, the battery is dead by 1 PM with very light use. The phone is enormous, and thicker than the original iPad. LTE isn't available everywhere, so a lot of the time the phone is on 3G anyways. And finally, the phone can't smoothly transition from 4G->3G or 3G->4G; there's a small period where the phone will actually drop the connection for a second and pages will refuse to load.

I won't be complaining in the slightest if Apple holds out til 2012 for LTE.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I would be fine as long as the iPhone 5 had HSPA+. It is a pretty good jump from 3g and i don't expect LTE to be really anywhere any time soon.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Having an LTE capable device might be a great differentiator between the rumored iPhone and the pre-paid version (iPhone 4s) everyone has been speculating about.

By moving teh release date from June to possible September October, Apple might have given itself the possibility of going ahead with LTE before 2012. Waiting until September 2012 to get 4G might be too late for Apple. Verizon has been very aggressive in expanding its LTE footprint. Apple no longer needs to wait for At&T.

The rumored dimensions of the new iPhone show it to be slightly wider. This should accommodate extra battery to compensate LTE consumption. Normally I would agree that 2012 would make more sense for Apple, but the market may not wait.

And it would be a very powerful incentive to move away from Android.

Kind of like how the market wouldn't wait for apple to release 1 phone a year? Should read Gruber's post from a few days ago.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Given Apple's relatively long product cycle, and the fact that the current iteration of the iPhone is over a year old already, it would be really damaging not to have LTE in the next iPhone (4S or 5). If the new model does indeed get released in Sept/Oct, that means that it will probably be Sept. 2012 before the next model is released. By that time, LTE deployment should be in full swing, and Apple will be far behind its competitors who are already rolling out LTE-capable phones.
Nah, most of the world doesn't have operational LTE networks so the absence of LTE functionality in the upcoming handset only affects a handful of people.

Even if Apple had early access to newer LTE chips, there are still few places on this planet you can actually connect to an LTE network. Half of Apple's iPhone sales are to international markets. It makes no sense to put in hardware that the vast majority of customers can't take advantage of at this point.

That's why Apple has always released handsets based on widely available cellular technology.

HSPA+ is pretty much a given for the next iPhone because HSPA+ is widely deployed throughout the world right now.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
HSPA+ is as fast as LTE, sometimes it is faster.

It does not matter how good the battery is. If the Battery would last 7 days with HSPA+ and 3.5 days with LTE, why would you throw away half the time even if 3.5 days is good. Killing half your battery for no better performance is silly.

DMVillain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Speculation

I could be wrong, but isn't the fact that the carriers are testing it, not just apple, prove that it is more imminent than we suspected?

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
The iPhone 5 is expected to support HSPA+ technology for GSM networks, which is being marketed by many carriers as "4G", but carriers are also beginning their rollouts of 4G LTE networks that will bring even faster data speeds.

There is a new tower in my area (Pasadena, CA) that has been built but not activated for months. It was initially due to to online in June, then pushed back to September. Oddly enough these proposed dates were made public just before the iPhone 5 release rumors hit (I call about terrible service rather often...its really bad, and they credit my bill often). I can't help but wonder if ATT is still in testing or waiting for the iPhone 5 before activating this tower.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
LTE is totally irrelevant to the availability of the iPhone on T-Mobile USA. T-Mobile USA doesn't have an LTE network; as a matter of fact, they don't even have spectrum allocation to build a 4G network.

Nothing at all can be inferred by this rumor about the iPhone's availability on T-Mobile USA's network.

There is no technological reason why the iPhone can't work on T-Mobile USA's network; there are now chipsets that support T-Mobile USA's AWS band (which it uses for 3G data services). It's entirely a business decision.

My guess is there's a T-Mobile USA-compatible iPhone sitting in a lab somewhere in Cupertino, right next to some iPhone 5s with LTE chips bolted on. The LTE-equipped iPhones are likely plugged into AC adapters, otherwise they would be dead in a couple of hours.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.