Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

amazonstudent-150x154.jpg

Amazon is targeting college students with a new iPhone app, aptly named "Amazon Student".

The app ties together a number of features in a package specifically for students. Users can compare prices, buy or sell textbooks, and sell other items they don't need (like video games or DVD's that are no longer needed) as well. The app includes Amazon's barcode scanning software too. The idea is a student can go to the campus bookstore, scan the barcodes of their textbooks and see if Amazon can supply them cheaper.

amazonstudents-500x359.jpg

Now students can compare textbook prices on this semester's syllabus right from the college bookstore simply by scanning a barcode. And when it's time to sell back textbooks, the app can turn used books--and millions of other eligible electronics, video games, DVDs and more--into Amazon.com gift cards. Students scan the items they no longer need, ship eligible items for free, and get an Amazon.com Gift Card to spend on millions of items at Amazon.com. Nearly 1 million textbooks are eligible for Textbook Buyback (www.amazon.com/sellbooks) and students can get up to 70 percent back.
As an added perk, "Amazon Students" get 6 months of free two-day shipping via Amazon Prime.

Amazon Students is available for iPhone and iPod Touch, free on the App Store [iTunes].

Article Link: Amazon Launches App For College Students

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
If anyone is looking for textbooks, I have a code for $25 off $100 in textbooks at Amazon. I'm going to give it away for free, just please make sure you're going to use it if you take it.

Message me.

Edit: gave away

Ask in this thread if you still want one. Everyone with a special offer kindle can redeem a code for you.

Last edited:

Nabby

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Amazon Prime Down from 12 months

Interesting, when I signed up for Amazon Student last year, they were giving away 12 months of Amazon Prime, now they are only doing 6 months.

Either way, the 2-day shipping or 3.99/item for 1-day shipping is really nice. It made Christmas shopping so much easier this past year!

Nabby

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
Interesting, when I signed up for Amazon Student last year, they were giving away 12 months of Amazon Prime, now they are only doing 6 months.

I noticed that too. Seems that with this app launch, Amazon took the opportunity to reduce the free trial period.

Tydog07

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
Ann Arbor, Mi
I'd like the textbook discount

I'm a student entering college this year (Umich) and I would love to save money off of textbooks, I promise to use it on my studies. Please message me a discount coupon!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
It's neat to see how iOS and the app store have changed the dynamics of software writing -- it used to be murder just to get anyone to write an app for any Apple platform, and now there's an app specifically for the iPhone not only for Amazon (multiple, actually), but even an app for the subset of iPhone using Amazon shoppers who are students. Not that this stuff won't appear on Android or everywhere else, but I like that it's frequently the Apple users who are getting it first.

KOZOK

macrumors member
May 2, 2011
It's funny how the more mainstream certain aspects of computers get, the more they have to get dumbed down.

Justinf79

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2009
Oregon
In an ironic twist of fate, this app isn't available on Amazon's own Android app store. :rolleyes:

Unless it's under a different name?

Lunchbox700

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
MN
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Here's a dumb question I haven't checked yet but do the "trial" prime members get the ondemand video service like other prime users.

Chinamao

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2011
Jealous of guys staying in the america.

You guys are so lucky. I have to swollen a wind every year when the time comes that I need to textbooks, yes it is bloody expensive, and virtually no other options.

Nabby

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Here's a dumb question I haven't checked yet but do the "trial" prime members get the ondemand video service like other prime users.

There was nothing to indicate in my 1 year Prime membership that it did not receive all the same benefits...HOWEVER, when they announced the streaming video service, I tried and did not get the free services like "regular" Prime memberships.

My Amazon Student Prime membership expired in July, and I received an offer to purchase it for 1/2 price (around $35). I did purchase it this year and the video on-demand IS included for this.

Nabby

sumone

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011

Haven't checked recently but I know that when onDemand was released they excluded "trial" prime members and when I checked it didn't work.

Sucks that they shortened it to 6 months I was hoping to get through all four years with a student prime :(

Will be downloading this app, school starts in two weeks! Need to get on these books.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.