Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TheRealDeal reports that the Metropolitan Transportation Authority has "quietly" released higher quality renderings of what Apple's Grand Central Terminal looks like.

Lower quality versions of these images had been posted to the Wall Street Journal. The New York Times, however, commented about how tight lipped everyone involved had been about them.
After some effort, we found someone who let us see the renderings, as long as we didn't say who it was, and didn't share them with you.
It seems now that construction is underway, the MTA has determined that it can release these photos to the public.

Article Link: New York's MTA Releases Grand Central Terminal Apple Store Renderings

Last edited by a moderator:

samwise

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2005
North Salt Lake, Utah
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Deterred that it can release the pictures? Do you mean decided? lol

brianbobcat

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2003
Illinois
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Or determined it can release the photos.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
It actually highlights the beauty of the terminal. What a breath of fresh air. This will be extremely popular with New Yorkers.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
It's a cathedral for worshipping technology. :D

Apple's aesthetic always impresses me. They put a lot of thought into working with their surroundings.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

stupid lion autocorrect. :)

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
They forgot to add in people checking their Facebook status, playing with their dogs, and playing with photo booth like it is magic.

jakebrosy

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2011
Don't forget the army of blue shirts...

Add:
  • 45 stoned blue-shirted "hipsters" aimlessly wandering the store - or clumped into tight groups of 3, discussing the band they saw last night.
  • 4 lightly-stoned blue-shirts trying to upsell AppleCare and one-on-one.
  • 2 "managers" in black shirts backed against a wall, deep in conversation.
  • 128 people waiting for a "genius" to run the same damn diagnostic they ran at home, condescendingly confirm that their 6-week-old laptop is DOA, and take their MBP into the depths of Apple repair hell.
  • 7 geriatric grandparents learning how to use a mouse or check their email for photos of their grandchildren at the one-on-one station.
  • 238 tourists motionless in the optimum-in-the-way spot, staring slack-jawed at the ceiling of GCT.
  • 4 homeless men squatting in corners - perhaps pooping.
  • And, as mentioned previously, hordes of the underemployed checking facebook and staring at themselves in the facetime cameras.
  • And 1 man with a goat.

I'm on pins-and-needles waiting for this!

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
less is more...

Gorgeous.

Perfectly fits the environment.

It actually highlights the beauty of the terminal. What a breath of fresh air. This will be extremely popular with New Yorkers.

Gorgeous looking indeed!

And it most certainly does highlight the beauty of GCT, love it! I'm really looking forward to checking out this Apple store when it opens this November.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
something is missing...

But, curiously, I wonder where they're planning to put the big :apple: logo within the store, if at all?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
That looks really cool! I can't wait to see it in person. It might just replace my second most favorite Apple Store (1st being 5th Avenue and 2nd being Covent Gardens in the UK)

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Its fake rendering looks good. The only bad thing is how noisy its going to be, with so many people walking around and how noisy terminals tend to be, but still cool, thats for sure!

jakebrosy

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2011
The only bad thing is how noisy its going to be, with so many people walking around and how noisy terminals tend to be, but still cool, thats for sure!

Probably won't be that bad: I ate in Metrazur a few times and it was surprisingly quiet - except for a few times each day.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Its fake rendering looks good. The only bad thing is how noisy its going to be, with so many people walking around and how noisy terminals tend to be, but still cool, thats for sure!

Probably won't be that bad: I ate in Metrazur a few times and it was surprisingly quiet - except for a few times each day.

Amazingly enough, an article from about 6 years ago, states that when acoustical-consulting firm visited Grand Central Terminal at 3 p.m., they measured its noise level at 71 decibels. That about the same level as the noise from the streets of Manhattan, which the same sound crew found to be typically around the 70-decibel level, which is roughly the noise level from a coffee grinder.

But although about equal in sound level, the sound of people moving is usually typically less annoying than the sound of traffic. Personally, I actually like the energetic "vibe" of the sound from a busy, cavernous terminal building (it's got a good beat and you can dance to it).

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
This is awesome. I was excited when I heard the possibilities of a Grand Central store before, glad it's finally happening. I'm in New York again next week, can't wait to go there again.

I really like the look of it, much better than I expected. And it should hush the naysayers.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
Apple better start hiring armed guards because Apple stores in the north east are getting robbed daily.

Thieves are just walking into stores and ripping laptops, iphones, etc. off the tables and jetting.

applefan6

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2011
whats up with the MacBooks? A bit outdated. Besides that, everything else looks rather elegant.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Looks really nice; Not a big fan of the tables they use inside reglar stores but they fit well into the GCT. Too bad I don't have any travel plan to NY in the next time.

On a side note: now China will have some problem to copy that :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.