Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In what appears to be another sign of iPad competitors having difficulty gaining customer acceptance, Best Buy yesterday announced a new promotion that sees the leading electronics retailer giving away Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablets with the purchase of select new Samsung 3D high-definition televisions. The package deals also include free 3D starter kits containing two pairs of 3D glasses and a handful of 3D movie titles.
This week's Samsung special is the latest offer in Best Buy's Perfect Match Promise, a series of deals to help customers go big and go home happy. This week only, Best Buy's Perfect Match Promise offers customers a 16 GB Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 with the purchase a Samsung 46" Class LED 1080p Smart 3D HDTV all for the low price of $1499.99 after savings. Customers can also step up to a 55" Samsung TV (measured diagonally) with a 3D Starter Kit for only $1999.99 after savings.
The promotion begins on August 21st and runs through August 27th.

galaxy_tab_10_1.jpg

Samsung has been the leading competitor to Apple in the tablet market as a number of other companies have faltered in their attempts at launching competing products. But while Samsung has reported strong shipment numbers for its Galaxy Tab offerings relative to other non-Apple tablet companies, it is still unclear just how many of those units are making it into customers' hands. Samsung is also facing strong legal challenges from Apple in a number of countries, challenges which have hampered Samsung's ability to roll out the Galaxy Tab in several markets and threaten many of its other Android-based products.

Best Buy made headlines in the tablet market earlier this week after a source reported that the retailer had sold less than 10% of its stock of HP TouchPad tablets and was seeking to return much of the remainder to HP. That disclosure came just a day before HP announced that it would be ending its tablet and smartphone hardware businesses amid weak launch demand.

Article Link: Best Buy Offering Free Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 with TV Purchase

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Too bad the Galaxy is having trouble. I just got one to develop with, and the OS is really nice in a tablet.

Edit: lol downvotes. This community has turned ridiculous.

Last edited:

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I'm starting to think Apple made the wrong decision attacking Galaxy. It gives Samsung the air of being a dangerous competitor, rather than just letting Galaxy die the Zune death it seemed destined to...

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Well that is one way to get rid of these things!

Don't be surprised if those TVs are marked up some to make back the $$$ on the tablets.

Well that is one way to get rid of these things!

If you meant the HP Touchpad, these are the Galaxy. Not the same thing.

If you meant getting rid of Galaxies...then yes...it's one way...lol

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8E600)

it is still unclear just how many of those units are making it into customers' hands.

Oh, I'd say it's very clear by now.

KJESPOKO

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2007
And Hyundai was giving away iPads with car purchases. why is this news?

I would assume that it is has to do with the fact they are giving away a device that is normally a $500 device and all you have to pay is $1500 for a TV. When a brand new car is going to cost you a minimum of $12,000. People typically take out a loan for a $12,000 purchase and pay more than $500 in interest over the life of the loan.

To give away free Galaxy tabs for a $1500 purchase says something about how they are selling or the lack of selling.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-gb; Nexus S Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I said the same on BGR and I say it here, does the same scrutiny apply to the "back to school" iPod touch offer of yore?

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
I've been wanting a Samsung TV.

Now I'll go buy one, take this free tablet, sell it for as much as I can and finally get me an iPad 2.

Hahahaha

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
A big SMH to this haha, competitors will do anything to move units out of the basement.. We all know who the clear winner is.. Like it has been said many times before.
First thing that comes to mind
MP3 player = Ipod
Tablet = Ipad

RIP to the competition

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
Well that doesn't make it look good, that's for sure. It's like all those BOGO Android phones-- if you advertise on TV that you can get 2 for 1... now that's desperation for hardware sales.

It's a shame the tablet competition is... failing, dare I say.

NoNothing

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2003
One way to look at it...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-gb; Nexus S Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I said the same on BGR and I say it here, does the same scrutiny apply to the "back to school" iPod touch offer of yore?

Apple always does a promotion at that same time of year. Sammsung/BestBuy are doing this out the blue with no specific timing. Given that there are, at most, only 300,000 Android tablets world wide selling per month, this seems more like a get this out of my store type of sale.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.