Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
What a howler

I am thinking back to the time period before the iPad was introduced. Do you remember all of the "sweet smoochies" that where expressed here. Won't sell, piece of crap, Apple sucks, who will buy it, others have tried to market tablets. to big, demon from hell, Steve Jobs the antichrist, Snickers about the name. Doesn't do flash, oh the evil. Look at how things have panned out Apple can't make enough of them, more, and more things are being found for the iPad to do every day. :)

cherishzm

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2011
Apple needs healthy competition!

When one company or product dominates the market share, it's usually a really bad thing for the consumers. Samsung and other companies must survive in tablet and smartphone markets and compete with Apple so we consumers can benefit from the healthy competition!

Folks, you guys must start buying Android phones and tablets!! Seriously!!

I'm keeping my macbook pro, iphone and ipad though. :D

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Why is this news? Technologies are given away free all the time with purchase of TVs, Sound systems, etc. Best Buy is trying to drive sales up with a flowing number of students coming back to school.

I remember getting a free iTouch with a Macbook Pro simply by showing my student ID that expired 4 years before that.

This is a great offer that will give Samsung more customers. Why are so many immature kids butthurt here? Any smart person knows a good deal when he sees one, WHO CARES? If you think of this offer only as a fail on Galaxy Tab part, then you are a complete moron.

ARRRRRRRRRGH! The reality! It's hurting! Stop!

On the serious side:

What else should they bundle to make you buy a 3D-TV you don't need? A dishwasher?!?

Giving this deal an Anti-Samsung spin is just soooooo lame. Macrumors really has a bad week! See you guys back in October - you currently suck.:confused:

CP123

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
What the hell is wrong with some of you? Why does anyone think Apple is scared of any company? Apple has totally cornered the tablet market. Very few people are buying these other tablets. Hell, not to many people (outside of places like this) are even talking about those tablets.

It makes sense to give away the tablets. Samsung wants the tablets to get into the hands of the consumer even if they have to give some away for free.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
I'm starting to think Apple made the wrong decision attacking Galaxy. It gives Samsung the air of being a dangerous competitor, rather than just letting Galaxy die the Zune death it seemed destined to...

Only among nerds. The other 99% of the world doesn't know about the legal issues.

VitaminD

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
New York
This is getting ridiculous. What if Apple ends the year having sold 44 million iPads, and their competitors sell… 4.4 million?

It's easy to spend other people's money, but I think Google should take 3 billion cash and buy 10 million android tablets. Then give them away free in a contest where the contestants are the top 40 million most active Google+ users. 1 in 4 odds will bring in a lot of activity to their new social networking initiative, and having 10 million new AndroidPads out in the wild will keep developers interested in the platform.

What's the alternative? Continue to get blown away in the early days of the next wave of computing?

Interesting idea.

As an alternative theory, I think that as these non-Apple tablets die off a bit, someone will sit down and seriously analyze the key behind Apple's success and the failure behind those that couldn't measure up. And they won't rush in to try to "capitalize" (read grab cash) on the tablet craze, but will take their time to truly offer a viable alternative to consumers.

I don't own a tablet yet. But I can't see any reason yet to honestly consider a tablet other than the iPad. And for the same reason I bought (2) 27" iMacs. There is no viable equivalent offered by any other manufacturer.

Now, could it be that other manufacturers are leery of infringing upon Apple's considerable patent portfolio that they don't even try? I don't know. It could be that they simply don't have the vision that Apple has.

Last edited:

ucantgetridofme

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2011
Macrumors is so *****en retarded. They have no idea how many tablets are in buyers hands but the article makes it out like they havent sold any, but its a whole different story when they give the ipad way. Stop nibbling apples dick and try to have some integrity as journalists instead of being a *****en propaganda tool for Apple.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Other way around

If they offered those televisions with the purchase of a Galaxy Tab, I'm certain that inventory problem could be rectified.

NoNothing

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2003
I don't think you can read.

So every other promotion is done out of pure desperation except Apple's?

I think you missed the part where I said there were about 300,000 Android tablets making it to the end user each month. Given the manufactures have been shipping 2 to 3 million/month for the last 1-2 months, there are nearly 10 months of channel inventory for the current crop of Android tablets.

So in this case, it is get these tablets the heck out of my inventory type of sale. It is not fun having $1.8 billion in channel inventory sitting around and not moving.

----------

A few weeks ago, a car dealership was given away iPads with a free test drive. Does that mean the iPad is doing bad as well?

Did that car dealer simply have inventory of iPads (that they must also sell based on your logic) just sitting around not selling?

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Excellent strategy. A lot of uninformed users out there. But once you get the product in their hands, you can bet that's a pair of hands that won't bother picking up the competitions device. They will see how good it really is and realize there is no need to buy the competition. It's only the blind Apple followers that would pay for and iPad when they get something like the Galaxy Tab for "free." The average person who is looking at getting a tablet will stick with the Tab. Similar strategy to the Galaxy S when it first came out, and now it's the best selling Android device of all time.

Biggest danger is they will be turned off from all similar tablets. They will think they are all jerky and have no apps available. This is where Samsung copying can really hurt Apple. They desperately give away their pos tablet and consumers have a chance to see it really is a pos. They are hen turned off from all similar tablets for a long time.

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
re free galaxy

love it - aapl eating the tablet competitors

just out of curiousity i may buy a very discounted hp 25" hd monitor and a free galaxy for $80

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Too bad the Galaxy is having trouble. I just got one to develop with, and the OS is really nice in a tablet.

Edit: lol downvotes. This community has turned ridiculous.

It certainly has turned quite ridiculous. And it gets worse every day.

aristokrat

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-gb; Nexus S Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I said the same on BGR and I say it here, does the same scrutiny apply to the "back to school" iPod touch offer of yore?

It was well known during those iPod touch promotions that as soon as they ended, Apple would release new iPod touches, so it was a firesale of about-to-be-outdated technology in order to sell Macs. Unless you're implying that Samsung might be about to announce a new Galaxy Tab when the first one has been out for just a couple of months, I think you're missing the point of the 2 promotions.

Last edited:

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
And Hyundai was giving away iPads with car purchases. why is this news?

You are ignoring one vital fact.Both the TV and tablet are Samsung products.

A truly comparable offer would be a free cheap Hyundai with purchase of a luxury model.
Hyundai had to go out and BUY the iPads from Apple to give away.

----------

Does this run iOS? No? Get off the front page! The is page 2 or forum news.

Get your own damn blog.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.