Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steviolol

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2011
When one company or product dominates the market share, it's usually a really bad thing for the consumers. Samsung and other companies must survive in tablet and smartphone markets and compete with Apple so we consumers can benefit from the healthy competition!

Folks, you guys must start buying Android phones and tablets!! Seriously!!

I'm keeping my macbook pro, iphone and ipad though. :D

So sick of the "competition is a good thing" mantra.

Competition is good when both sides are truly innovating and can bring things to the table to improve one another. The current spate of iPad competitors are not innovating anything. They are cheap knockoffs and don't offer anything apple would innovate with.

AmpSkillz

macrumors regular
And Hyundai was giving away iPads with car purchases. why is this news?

the difference is obvious

Hyundai went out of their way to buy iPads to give their customers in order to entice them to buy a $20,000 Hundai

Best buy already had these Galaxy Tabs and is now trying to get rid of them by throwing them in as a free gift with purchase of $1,500 TV

AmpSkillz

macrumors regular
This deal sounds more like they're using a well received, desirable tablet as bait to try to sell more TVs.

lol, well received and desirable compared to what?

seems obvious that any marketing person with even half a brain would go with the most well received and desirable tablet on the market :apple: as long as they were going to be giving away $500 tablets as a promotion

im going to assume you were just being sarcastic

VitaminD

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
New York
So sick of the "competition is a good thing" mantra.

Competition is good when both sides are truly innovating and can bring things to the table to improve one another. The current spate of iPad competitors are not innovating anything. They are cheap knockoffs and don't offer anything apple would innovate with.

Though, and correct me if I'm wrong, it seems that WebOs's (RIP) notification system is somewhat being implemented in the upcoming iOS 5.

The competition isn't all bad. Some useful features that they have may, from time to time, be implemented in Apple's line up for the sake of the consumer.

I don't see a bit of "copying" as a bad thing.

praetorian909

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004
Couple days ago I joked that BB should've bundled TouchPads instead to get help them get rid of them.

Now it's not so funny... :( RIP TouchPad -8/18/2011

Steviolol

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2011
Though, and correct me if I'm wrong, it seems that WebOs's (RIP) notification system is somewhat being implemented in the upcoming iOS 5

I'd say the notification system upcoming is more taken smartphones, considering, correct me if I'm wrong, iOS 5 was already in development before touchpad came out.

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-gb; Nexus S Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

So every other promotion is done out of pure desperation except Apple's?

It's amazing the anti-consumer stance people have here. Deals are scoffed at whilst profits are cheered for.

Perhaps I'm just tight but I love a good offer and have received plenty of "freebies" in the past (OK, they weren't free per-se but they did sweeten the deal whenever I buy something).

When Apple gives away a free iPod to move macbooks, it is doing basically the same thing. Macbooks were not selling as well as the macbook pro and now macbook air. iPod is not an expensive item like a tablet, though.

So, which product is Samsung trying to move? HDTV or the Galaxy tab??

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Too bad the Galaxy is having trouble. I just got one to develop with, and the OS is really nice in a tablet.

Edit: lol downvotes. This community has turned ridiculous.

Ridiculous would be buying a Galaxy tab, to use or develop with.

Who do you expect to buy your apps? 10% of the 8 people who actually own one? It's going to be EOL by January anyway, just like the HoPeless touch pad.

VitaminD

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
New York
I'd say the notification system upcoming is more taken smartphones, considering, correct me if I'm wrong, iOS 5 was already in development before touchpad came out.

That may be the case. I only recall reading an entry on Engadget that mentioned that iOS 5 will finally a less obtrusive notification system like WebOS's. And since HP bought palm a little more than a year ago, perhaps they were developing that feature into WebOS before iOS 5 was in beta. I do believe that the Touchpad debuted before iOS 5's beta. Not 100% sure though.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
I'm starting to think Apple made the wrong decision attacking Galaxy. It gives Samsung the air of being a dangerous competitor, rather than just letting Galaxy die the Zune death it seemed destined to...

No, they went after Samsung because, unlike a true competitor, they utterly copy Apple, and therefor their products do not legally deserve to exist.

----------

" all for the low price of $1499.99 after savings. "

Um..... REALLY? :rolleyes:

Yea, as soon as I saw that I blinked twice and laughed. Considering I can walk into Apple and get an iPad for $500, and pick up a fantastic HDTV for less than $950, this "deal" sounds like garbage.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Hello people, ahem fanboys, this is what we call a promotional offer. Its part of a marketing plan, not an early indication of anything. Stop looking at news through a starry eyed, apple lovestruck, tint. Its similar to Microsoft bundling the xbox 360 with Windows laptops over $800. Or the Sony bundling of a PS3 with their Sony TVs. Geez, it gets tiring dealing with people who don't think and live in their own world.

Now, with that said, I think the Samsung Galaxy won't do well at all, along with any other tablets beside the Ipad. Tablets are just the latest tech fad, for people who have extra money to blow. Tech fads don't last and is dominated by the newest and coolest out there. The market is already saturated because the people that want this toy already has one. Honestly, I don't know what these manufacturing company are thinking.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
That's called a publicity stunt... Take something that's popular to lure people in. And in the promo all you have to say is, "While supplies last!" So, it could've brought hundreds of customers to the lot and they only actually gave away a handful of iPads.

And how is this different? If I was shopping for a new TV this week, this might make me choose Samsung over another brand, just like free iPads might make me choose one dealer over another. It's a promotion. It happens all the time. Look at the Best Buy ad for any week, they're always giving something away if you buy something else. Sometimes it's free games with a console, free movies with a Blu-Ray player, free printer with a computer. This week it happens to be a free tablet with a TV.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

tip: i get a free egg to each breakfast i eat at mc donalds, make it front page news please bc steve jobs doesnt like eggs

goodgod i will never understand how people can be such "fanboys" of freakin electronics. the comments r worse than a hannah montana discussion lol

does it make one sleep better at night if the samsung tablet isnt selling who gives a beep do u personally benefit in any way from it

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
Too bad the Galaxy is having trouble. I just got one to develop with, and the OS is really nice in a tablet.

Edit: lol downvotes. This community has turned ridiculous.

Yeah, at times it feels that way. But you're right, the Android update designed around tablets really pushed it forward. I love the iOS 5 update we have coming... but a little bit of a refresh to the look... icons and such would go a long way for Apple. People do like a little something new every once in a while.

jaison13

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2003
pittsburgh
And Hyundai was giving away iPads with car purchases. why is this news?

ummmm, hyudai was giving away iPads to help sell their cars. it had nothing to do with apple. this is samsung giving away their own product. i highly doubt apple gave those iPads to hyunai. so that's why it's different. apple can't keep iPads in stock. samsung is giving the galaxy away to sell more TV's.

----------

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

tip: i get a free egg to each breakfast i eat at mc donalds, make it front page news please bc steve jobs doesnt like eggs

goodgod i will never understand how people can be such "fanboys" of freakin electronics. the comments r worse than a hannah montana discussion lol

does it make one sleep better at night if the samsung tablet isnt selling who gives a beep do u personally benefit in any way from it

YOU do understand this isn't an electronics news site. this is an actual mac site about mac news. they put up all kinds of stories that are geared towards mac and read by people who like apple products. go to a site that doesn't actually have mac in the title and a picture of an apple on the masthead if you want non apple news.

isn't there an android rumor site somewhere to post? i don't know if there is or isn't because i love my iMac, my matchbook pro, my iPods, my iPhone and my iPad. i played with a friends android phone and it felt like a cheap piece of plastic. he hates it too but didn't switch while you could still get unlimited data plan so he is now stuck with android.

Last edited:

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Now, with that said, I think the Samsung Galaxy won't do well at all, along with any other tablets beside the Ipad. Tablets are just the latest tech fad, for people who have extra money to blow. Tech fads don't last and is dominated by the newest and coolest out there. The market is already saturated because the people that want this toy already has one. Honestly, I don't know what these manufacturing company are thinking.
Yes, that's why the iPad is outselling all makes of laptops, and its sales seem to be increasing on a daily basis. This is not the part of the sales curve that represents market saturation, at least not for the iPad.

And the last time I checked, the iPad2 was not the newest tablet out there, but was in fact among the oldest. People aren't buying them because they are the latest tech with the highest specs, but because they offer the best user experience (witness the fact that even WebOS runs substantially faster on the iPad2 than it does on its own native hardware). Which once again goes to show that specs aren't everything.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
I'm actually a big fan of Samsung TVs, and was planning to buy several in the next year (new house). However, I'm not sure that the 3D technology is quite there yet. I actually think I would choose a 2D LED TV over a 3D TV, even if Samsung and Best Buy threw in a Galaxy for no additional cost.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
And how is this different? If I was shopping for a new TV this week, this might make me choose Samsung over another brand, just like free iPads might make me choose one dealer over another. It's a promotion. It happens all the time. Look at the Best Buy ad for any week, they're always giving something away if you buy something else. Sometimes it's free games with a console, free movies with a Blu-Ray player, free printer with a computer. This week it happens to be a free tablet with a TV.

The fangirls don't see it this way. You're being rational, many here are not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.