Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
By making it bigger to 3.7 inch they would still be over 300 dpi thus maintaining "retina" terminology.

And realistically 960 x 640 for a 3.7 display is still great and i doubt someone would go "oh the display sucks now".

Whilst it would provide more screen space and such, it would be a HUGE nightmare for developers.

They won't do it so don't get your hopes up.

It would mean apps would increase in file size even more due to having to ship graphics in yet another size:

- Original Size (e.g iPhone 1 to 3G)
- Retina Size (3x gfx for iPhone 4)
- New Retina Size (For iPhone 5)
- iPad Size
and likely iPad Retina Size by next year.

Doesn't sound like much, but trust me, as a developer thats a huge pain in the ass. I've got an app that has photos for over 200 restaurants. That'll mean I have to create over 800 photos just to get the images looking ok on all the devices. Thats not even taking into account having to provide additional code to resize apps to fit on the different resolutions (wasn't a problem with the iP4 as it was done automatically with a simple 'x2', however if you throw in a completely new resolution, it'll screw up every app in the appstore).

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

jmpnop said:
In addition to this low cost iPhone 4, Apple is also said to be targeting "an end of September" launch for the iPhone 5. This new iPhone 5 will reportedly look "largely identical" to the iPhone 4, but have a bigger touch screen, better antenna and an 8-megapixel camera.

Apple will never change the screen size. Increasing screen size reduces the pixel density which reduces the image quality. Though not noticeable, it makes no sense to downgrade the screen. If Apple really wanted to increase screen size, they would've done it in the iPhone 4 along with the bump in screen resolution which makes more sense.

no bigger screen no sell to me. the iphone looks like a baby next to all the new smartphones

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Oh I hate this dumbing down and cheapening of the iphone!...what next the $25 iphone for poor people in Africa to find out where the next grain drop will be or where's best to hide from murderous Hutu rebels?

I want exclusivity and the "wow I'm jealous factor".....not a "oh everyone has an iphone" thing.

If you want exclusivity, why not ask your parents for more pocket money and buy an iPhone with Svarovsky crystals? (I assume that you are at most 14 based on your post; if you are any older then I just feel very, very sorry for you and even more sorry for the people around you).

fosking

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
Oh I hate this dumbing down and cheapening of the iphone!...what next the $25 iphone for poor people in Africa to find out where the next grain drop will be or where's best to hide from murderous Hutu rebels?

I want exclusivity and the "wow I'm jealous factor".....not a "oh everyone has an iphone" thing.

~sigh, searches for Grain App~

Do you deliberately sit in the window at Starbucks so people can see how cool you are too?

organerito

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008

~sigh, searches for Grain App~

There are people who feel they are special because they have an iPhone!
I didn't know people could be that empty.
If you were my son, I would take the iPhone away from you until you understand what is important in life.

FranzMarc

macrumors member
May 11, 2010
If you were my son, I would take the iPhone away from you until you understand what is important in life.

That original statement you quoted seemed like irony to me, no? o.0

NewGenAdam

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
Apple will never change the screen size. Increasing screen size reduces the pixel density which reduces the image quality. Though not noticeable, it makes no sense to downgrade the screen. If Apple really wanted to increase screen size, they would've done it in the iPhone 4 along with the bump in screen resolution which makes more sense.

Whilst it's true that increasing the screen size would decrease the pixel density, in practical terms it doesn't matter at all. Assuming a 30% increase (3.5" -> 4") the effective pixel density would probably still be the highest on the market, the resolution would be so high that you'd never have pixel problems and apps would look fine.

The other challenge is that apps are developed for a given resolution, and this would not be changed by a screen size increase, so long as the resolution stays the same.

I must say I think the OS would feel distinctly different if the screen size had a boost, but the change would be for the better. When I held a competing Android with a larger display, I realised that the iPhone feels compact and cramped by comparison.

I expect the screen size to increase *marginally* - as constrained by the current hardware. Perhaps to 3.8", as redundant as this seems...

----------

Whilst it would provide more screen space and such, it would be a HUGE nightmare for developers.

It would mean apps would increase in file size even more due to having to ship graphics in yet another size:

- iPad Size

Doesn't sound like much, but trust me, as a developer thats a huge pain in the ass. I've got an app that has photos for over 200 restaurants. That'll mean I have to create over 800 photos just to get the images looking ok on all the devices. Thats not even taking into account having to provide additional code to resize apps to fit on the different resolutions (wasn't a problem with the iP4 as it was done automatically with a simple 'x2', however if you throw in a completely new resolution, it'll screw up every app in the appstore).

No it would make no difference at all to developers: the screen resolution would stay the same. Its physical size would increase and its pixel density would decrease, marginally. No real problems...

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
If you want exclusivity, why not ask your parents for more pocket money and buy an iPhone with Svarovsky crystals? (I assume that you are at most 14 based on your post; if you are any older then I just feel very, very sorry for you and even more sorry for the people around you).

Do you deliberately sit in the window at Starbucks so people can see how cool you are too?

I thought his post was sarcastic? Perhaps I'm mistaken...

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009

- iPad Size

Dude what?

Where did i imply that the resolution would change? infact, you can see from my post that i was stating the resolution would stay the same.

Lithiumdiver

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
Washington
Without stepping on any toes in such a hostile hread...
As a concumer, i expect that each rendition of the iPhone will cast a large shadow over the previous model. That, by no means, doesnt have to be a huge screen size bump, or a 5x faster processor...but...

I think if Apple could increase the screen size (i know i know, unlikely, and i agree) give us a better camera, and make the phone just as sexy, if not sexier, than the iPhone 4, im gonna buy it. And lets be honest, no matter how much complaining any of us do, when that phone hits the shelves and fulfills even 60% of our fantasies of what we hoped the 5 to be, we are all more than likely going to be forking out the dough to yet again hold the device that "changes everything...AGAIN"
Seriously, it just needs to be the end of september already. Enough rumors, lets see some facts.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

- iPad Size

Uh ? Why would the screen inches require newer graphics ? If the resolution stays the same 960x640, it introduces no such newer graphics need. A 4.0", 3.7" or 3.5" screen with 960x640 is the same thing for a developer. Your post makes absolutely no sense at all.

If you want exclusivity, you buy an exclusive phone. Something like a Vertu, not some mass market Apple gizmo.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK

- iPad Size

For images, can't you just use one high resolution image for the iPhones, since they all use the same aspect ratio? Then use a different one for the iPad as it has a different ratio. Y

Oz.

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
Great, I like the current design and screens bigger than 4" suck.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I'm not buying the larger screen. I can imagine the scaling might not be what Apple would want by even bumping it up an extra half-inch.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I'm not buying the larger screen. I can imagine the scaling might not be what Apple would want by even bumping it up an extra half-inch.

What scaling ? A larger screen does not change the aspect ratio or the resolution necessarily which means there is no scaling issues. The screen remains Retina up to 3.8" (303 PPI for 960x640).

For images, can't you just use one high resolution image for the iPhones, since they all use the same aspect ratio? Then use a different one for the iPad as it has a different ratio. Y

Yes you can, but the phone will then have to downscale the images, which means more processing. Might make your app slower on the iPhone 3G, the 3GS shouldn't have any problems doing it.

But the post you're responding to makes no sense. Screen inches have nothing to do with graphics or scaling. Seems a lot of people don't really understand display technology and graphics. Inches are a marketing term really, programmers don't know or care about inches, only about pixel counts.

SavMBP15

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
Am I too assume that they are talking about the price of the phone straight to consumers, without the need of the cell phone company subsidizing the cost?

That would make sense and be quite nice. Especially if they sold one that was unlocked too.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
If this rumor turns out true and the low-end model does not get bumped to 16 GB, some carriers are in for a surprise :

homepage_banner_1.jpg

Either buyers need to hurry and get these 16 GB 99$ models or carriers will need to further subsidize this new 8 GB iPhone 4 for 49$.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010

- iPad Size

As a developer i am surprised you dont know how things like this work.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Of course not, they always sell the old model on cheap when the new one comes out. Currently you can buy an 8GB 3GS from Apple. It stands to reason that the same thing was/is going to happen with the iPhone 4.
Ahh I see, link to the UK Apple iPhone 3GS 8GB?

I can't find it on the apple site ;(

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
8GB iPhone? These days that is about as useful as a three legged horse. Seriously, I don't get why people are dying to save $100-200 bucks on the initial "investment" even as they contract to spend $60+ a month x 24 on phone service. Maybe if it was an unlocked pay go phone it would make sense but as a contract phone it confounds me people would want it -- but they will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.