Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
Seriously, why would there be 64GB storage for your iPhone when you have iCloud which enables you to stream music and other content? Makes no sense to me, especially when you consider how tight the Flash-Storage market is. And as we all know, apple does not care about those who cannot or simply do not want to use iCloud, so they won't get the benefit of more storage.

Long story short: there won't be a 64GB iPhone 5, 4S or whatever it will be called.

rowley

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
London, UK
This would be the death of the 3gs obviously and bring almost everything in line until the iphone5 is released.

Whilst 3gs is being built thats two different sets of screens being built, which I would think is the most expensive part of the phone.

8gb is enough for most people to take photos, run facebook and keep texts - this is aimed at the "phone" market, upgrading from dumbphone, or even the disillusioned android user.

Reduces manufacture cost, and if they make it cheap enough (free on a 2 year tarrif, or $99), then they will sell loads.

theperipheral

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

After all this effing time, if the design of the phone doesn't change, I'm going to flip the eff out. If they pull something like that, there would be no point in getting it for me.

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

After all this effing time, if the design of the phone doesn't change, I'm going to flip the eff out. If they pull something like that, there would be no point in getting it for me.

brain-damaged?

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Oh I hate this dumbing down and cheapening of the iphone!...what next the $25 iphone for poor people in Africa to find out where the next grain drop will be or where's best to hide from murderous Hutu rebels?

I want exclusivity and the "wow I'm jealous factor".....not a "oh everyone has an iphone" thing.

~sigh, searches for Grain App~

It's just a phone. Get over yourself.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Seriously, why would there be 64GB storage for your iPhone when you have iCloud which enables you to stream music and other content? Makes no sense to me

Makes sense to all of us who don't want to use the Cloud or fork out yet more money to a service provider. The iPhone is already expensive enough per month and I only trust my data on my devices, not somewhere on some server not under my control.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
I am hoping that Apple's idea of low-cost is not $100 less than the current models, but I assume a lot of work is going into making it cheaper so I expect something more substantial.

Ephmreal

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2011
Oh I hate this dumbing down and cheapening of the iphone!...what next the $25 iphone for poor people in Africa to find out where the next grain drop will be or where's best to hide from murderous Hutu rebels?

I want exclusivity and the "wow I'm jealous factor".....not a "oh everyone has an iphone" thing.

Surely this isnt the place for racist bigots like yourself? Feel free to slither back to your diamond mansion any time youre ready...

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
London

It's people like you that make me sick. You want others to be jealous? Go buy a Ferrari or something and then you've achieved that. A phone making people jealous? Yeah right.

FriarNurgle

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
Cheaper iPhone makes sense for the growing China Market. It's a little silly for the US given our stupid service plan rates and data caps.

insidmal

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Eugene
do you really think apple would release two different versions of the same type of thing at the same time, that's terrible marketing.. i bet the cheaper iphone 4 is an indicator of a delayed 2012 iphone 5 launch.. iPhone 4S anyone?

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
Apple will never change the screen size. Increasing screen size reduces the pixel density which reduces the image quality. Though not noticeable, it makes no sense to downgrade the screen. If Apple really wanted to increase screen size, they would've done it in the iPhone 4 along with the bump in screen resolution which makes more sense.

You can always count on these forums for plenty of entertaining posts from people who ABSOLUTELY know what Apple is or was thinking and what they will definitely do.All with zero actual knowledge of the facts.

iPhone 4 found in bar.Fake!Chinese knock off!Un-Apple!

Ephmreal

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2011
There are people who feel they are special because they have an iPhone!
I didn't know people could be that empty.
If you were my son, I would take the iPhone away from you until you understand what is important in life.

If he were my son, I'd take the iPhone from him then crack it over his head...

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
Seriously, why would there be 64GB storage for your iPhone when you have iCloud which enables you to stream music and other content?

Because iCloud doesn't enable you to stream music. Every time you want to listen to a song you don't have on your phone, you have to go to the music store, go to your purchased music list, find the song you want, click download, then switch back to the music app to play it. It's great if you have the urge to hear a song that you haven't kept on your device for a while, but it's certainly no replacement for keeping a library of your frequently listened-to songs locally on the device.

Edit: Not to mention the fact that most providers are dropping unlimited data plans (in the US, at least). My music library is about 40 GB, it would take me 20 months to get it on my phone with iCloud without breaking the data cap.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Was there another phone between the 3GS and the 4 that I wasn't aware of?

No, but that is not what I said either.

When they introduced the iPhone 3GS, they cut down the iPhone 3G's price to 99$ and offered it with 8 GB.

When they introduced the iPhone 4, they cut down the iPhone 3GS' price to 99$ and offered it with 8 GB.

Hence, this story : When they'll introduce the iPhone 5, they will cut down the iPhone 4's price to 99$ and offer it with 8 GB (though I doubt this part, I bet it'll be 16 GB).

Clearer now ?

do you really think apple would release two different versions of the same type of thing at the same time, that's terrible marketing.. i bet the cheaper iphone 4 is an indicator of a delayed 2012 iphone 5 launch.. iPhone 4S anyone?

Uh ? Did you miss the fact they were selling the 3GS alongside the iPhone 4 and sold the iPhone 3G along side the iPhone 3GS for the last 2 years ?

Macrumors is the last place I expected to see people completely ignorant of Apple's product line-up.

maroontiger2k9

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009

well buy a macbook air if you're trying to be exclusive... the iphone was the highest selling phone last year...

----------

Would an 64GB iPhone make a 64GB iPod touch redundant?

no, b/c the ipod touch will jump up as well this year

moel

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
I'd call BS on Reuters claiming that the design is largely unchanged...mainly because we ALREADY KNOW that for testing purposes the 5's hardware has been shoved in the 4's case.

I'm guessing some numpty at Reuters has seen a carriers testing model and written this article.

applehouse

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2011
No Need for Larger Memory

I think everyone is forgetting that the CLOUD is coming so you will not need to have more than 16 gb on your phone. You can update from anywhere and it is free unless you choose the backup service.

Also, I noticed on my ATT account that in early summer they offered me a upgrade option to Iphone 4 but now they changed the upgrade date to sept 28th? I think that is pretty clear confirmation that the new phones are on track for the first week of Oct. I get the impression that they want a large amount of customers going after the new phone vs the current one to create hype and mania.

I am going to get the 5 and only with 16 gigs. I can pay the cheap annual fee to have the large back up of all my music for that price difference on the hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.