Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Research firm IHS iSuppli has released updated projections for tablet sales through 2015, showing Apple maintaining its leadership position longer than previously expected as rivals continue to be unable to make a significant dent in the iPad's position.

isuppli_tablet_forecast_aug11.jpg

According to the report, Apple is projected to ship 44.2 million iPads this year, up 500,000 from the firm's previous estimate. That previous number had, however, been lowered from earlier projections after Apple posted lower-than-expected sales early figures for the iPad 2 as it struggled to ramp up production. The new 44.2 million figure for 2011 is expected to represent 74% of the total tablet market, up from 64% in the previous report.
"All the momentum in the media tablet market is with Apple right now," said Rhoda Alexander, senior manager, tablet and monitor research for IHS. "The competition can't seem to field a product with the right combination of hardware, marketing, applications and content to match up with the iPad. Furthermore, Apple's patent litigation is serving to slow or complicate competitors' entry into some key regional markets. With Apple lapping its competitors, many of whom are still struggling to get out of the starting gate, this remains a one-horse race."
Looking out even further, IHS iSuppli now sees Apple holding onto its majority share of the tablet market through 2013, one year longer than previously anticipated. At the far end of its projections, the report sees Apple shipping 120 million iPads in 2015, up from previous projections of 97.9 million units. Even at that extended timeframe, Apple is projected to hold 43.6% of the tablet market, up significantly from earlier estimates of 32%.

Article Link: Apple Projected to Lead Tablet Market Through 2013 as Rivals Stumble

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I think that is a safe assumption. Even if another tablet takes off, it will take time to put a dent in iPad market share.

Nickraphael

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Hold 43.6 % of the market of tablets bought or tablets shipped? As the former looks to be a lot more even with Android Asia taken into account.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
It could also be that Apple gets a stranglehold on the Tablet market like they did MP3 players with the iPod and end up with a 90% share. The remaining 10% being parents/grandparents thinking the cheaper one is just as good and that little Timmy won't notice the difference:rolleyes:. Oh and of course die hard Apple haters.

Hagrid

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2005
New Jersey
Error in Chart?

Unless my math is wrong (which since it's late in the day, it could be), shouldn't the Title be in "Thousands of units" not "Millions of units?"

I think Apple would love for 2011 to be around 50,000 - Million units, instead of what is really 50,000 - thousand units.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I wonder what these charts looked like with the ipod first came out. Did they think that, after 6 years, Apple would have only 46% of the market, then, too?

bondsbw

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006
Wow! They project over 100 BILLION iPads by 2015? :eek: Gotta go get me a few thousand...

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Im willing to bet it will be even longer. nobody is even close. I got the Touchpad because it was cheap.....This is what these rivals are bringing to market?

The thing is awful. its sluggish and slow. I spent 3 hours trying to get the thing to update to the newest version. On top of them having no apps, crappy music and movie stores......The iPad will be on top for a longgggg time. The Touchpad might be available for $99 but the iPad is leaps and bounds better and YES I mean $400 more better. Id rather buy 1 iPad 2 rather then 5 touchpads thats how dramatically better the user experience is on the iPad.

hexor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2002
Minnesota
iPad had only 64% market share???

"up from 64% in the previous report"?? They were saying iPad had only 64% market share in the previous report? Yeah, these guys are really reliable for numbers.. What difference does it make what a company says they shipped if they can't sell any.. Furthermore a lot of companies including Samsung aren't even reporting tablet sales anymore, how can they even come up with accurate numbers unless you actually use other metrics that can determine what is actually being used in the real world? All those metrics show iPad with 90%+ share.

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
The iPad is a reliable platform, you have people doing applications for it in a save environment.

The iPad you buy today will have support in the next 3 years at least. Other companies can not warranty that.

No matter how many gigabytes and mega pixels, corporations need reliable developers and there is where the iPad will be big.

liquidsuns

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
I think it's funny that, much like with the iPhone, it's always the iPad vs every other tablet combined.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
What's even more astounding are the iPad sales projections for next year. They come in at around 70 million.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
Most things financial analysts talk about I can’t comment on with any authority, but in regards to Apple I can say with great confidence these analysts are full of ****. They can’t even get quarterly estimates right how the fact they have the audacity to make claims years out is… well is it any wonder the financial markets collapsed (and are about to again)

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Obviously all predictions are educated guesses. But it seems a little bold to predict out 4 years, in a tablet market that is hardly a year and a half old. I think the situation is more fluid than these figures suggest.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
This is obvious. Most consumers don't understand why they would need a tablet. But the iPad has a "cool" factor that makes consumers want to buy it whether they need it or not. You don't see typical buyers standing in line to get the latest Android tablet, even if it looks better on a spec sheet. There is very little demand in the tablet market, and unless that changes the iPad will remain the leader by a wide margin.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Unless my math is wrong (which since it's late in the day, it could be), shouldn't the Title be in "Thousands of units" not "Millions of units?"

I think Apple would love for 2011 to be around 50,000 - Million units, instead of what is really 50,000 - thousand units.

I was wondering that too. If the chart were correct then every person on Earth would own dozens of iPads. It will take decades before that happens

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
Until Apple verifies it by exceeding expectations. This particular prediction is an easy one (and obvious one) to make.

Assuming things stay largly the same over the next 4 years. Look at 4 years ago, Apple didnt have the iPhone, iPad, iOS / Mac appstores, Apple TV, ect

A lot can change in 4 years but I agree the stats are realistic.

I wonder what they were predicting 4 years ago..:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.