Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Steve Jobs has resigned as CEO of Apple.
CUPERTINO, Calif.-(BUSINESS WIRE)-To the Apple Board of Directors and the Apple Community:

I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple's CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come.

I hereby resign as CEO of Apple. I would like to serve, if the Board sees fit, as Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee.

As far as my successor goes, I strongly recommend that we execute our succession plan and name Tim Cook as CEO of Apple.

I believe Apple's brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it. And I look forward to watching and contributing to its success in a new role.

I have made some of the best friends of my life at Apple, and I thank you all for the many years of being able to work alongside you.

Steve

Article Link: Steve Jobs Resigns as Apple CEO

ndriver182

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
Just saw this on CNN. Was not expecting that at all today. Down, down, down will go all my stock. As if the floundering economy wasn't hurting my stock enough.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Oops, posted a topic on it. I guess you can close mines in the iPhone forum.

Just wow, though!! The iPhone 5 announcement is going to be so weird now!!

chillgoose

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2009
Canada
All the best Steve. I hope you are in good health and will continue to help grow the company you founded. Apple would not be where it is today without you. Thank you.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Just heard! WOW! Big bummer! I hope he continues on as a consultant.... oh heck... I hope he's okay. I hope it's not his health!

Ashwee

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2003
England
wow.... been a apple fan for over 10 years and didn't see this day coming.... very sad, I hope Steve's health is ok

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2008
Very sad. Doesn't make great reading for Steve's health. I hope he makes it. His incredible contributions have had such an impact on all mac users

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.