Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I think the iPhone 5 will be introduced by Steve himself since I believe no one can do a keynote quite like him!!
I wish Steve the best.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
I concur

I have held the image since his medical leave in January that Steve's wife, family and close friends held an "Intervention" with him, saying, in effect:

"If you keep working at the pace that you have been working, that stress on top of your pancreas health issues will kill you in 2 years. Give up being in total control, meditate, go to the beach and guide Apple from a greater distance and you can live to an old age and continue to have a big impact."

I think that is what he has been doing, giving the presentation at the WWDC, creating agreements with China Telecom etc. and he now has confidence that Apple can prosper with him being 'navigator' and without his hand on the tiller at all times.

May it be so.

Very nicely put, very well said!I believe it to be exactly as you say, continue on, pulling a string here and there, do some traveling, relaxing, spending money, and come back for product announcements, build his new home, come in for the dedication of the new Campus, and the release of this new product coming up, drop back, kick back and smell the roses, with the family;):cool::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
As long as they can keep Jobs true medical condition a secret they will. Those who are in denial about the matter are the only ones who'll be surprised when the reality is finally revealed. It's not like he only has the flu.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Microsoft basically made the same announcement when Bill Gates resigned as CEO. It's a bone they have to throw to the press to slow down the free fall of the stock prices.

alexexexex

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2005
Well, Tim Cook has been temporary CEO ever since Jobs announced his medical leave... so he is probably now taking over completely. It was probably only a matter of time before SJ handed him the CEO position.

Either way... I am in shock. I really had hoped to see SJ on the stage announcing the iPhone 5 among other things at the Sept conference... This is just... wow. :(

The Chairman of Apple can't announce a product?

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
This has been well planned out for a while it seems. I'm happy for Tim Cook, he ran Apple for about 9 months and did a great job.

BUT. The keynotes won't be the same anymore....

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
It's obvious they've been grooming Tim Cook for this role. His role as temporary CEO over the past several months shows that Apple's performance will hold strong. They announce this right before the iphone 5 launch so that the positive press will drown out lingering speculations and show Apple is still on top form.

Shareholders demanded a succession plan. This is it. Tim Cook is CEO and Jobs can stay chairman until the day he dies if he pleases and it won't cause panic as a capable man is still at the helm.

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
Cook will be an excellent CEO. Despite all the people that think that Apple was run as a "cult of personality", Jobs put together an excellent team of people to lead the company. I think he realized that part of his legacy would be in having Apple succeed long after he left it.

I'm not sure Bill Gates can say the same thing. Microsoft has never really been the same since he left. It's too big to die completely, but it seems be lost a little right now.

The Beatles

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
Strange that Jobs leaving affects me. I just don't see other companies that have all the traits that Jobs had. Quality, Vision, Business sense, Quality, Cool factor, Passion, User oriented, Leadership, Quality, Simplicity, etc...

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Truly horrific news, thanks a lot!

Guess the maxim "NEVER BUY A COMPUTER FROM A TOY PHONE COMPANY" IS going to make its way into the public lexicon after all...

:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.