Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

sjobsbenioff-150x150.jpg

Marc Benioff, founder of the highly successful Salesforce.com, shared with Bloomberg that Steve Jobs has been a very helpful mentor to Benioff and his company -- and how he returned the favor by giving Jobs a very generous gift: the App Store trademark and domain name.

John Gruber recently said that Steve Jobs' greatest creation is Apple itself, but his impact goes well beyond that. Jobs is a mentor to many in Silicon Valley, dispensing advice and guidance to those he deems worthy to receive it.

It was reported in Steven Levy's book about Google that Steve Jobs agreed to mentor Sergey Brin and Larry Page because he saw their potential -- though that relationship broke down when Google launched Android.

Benioff: He has probably given me more help and more advice than just about anybody. When I get in trouble, and when I get lost in my own vision, I've been fortunate to go and see him and he's been able to show me the future a couple times when I got lost in the forest for the trees.

One really good example of that happened in 2003. I went down to talk to him and brought a few members of my executive team. He said something really exciting: "Look, you've got a fantastic enterprise application here, but you've gotta build an ecosystem." So, to us, we went back and we're like "well, we don't know how to do that." That was like a Zen koan. How do we build an ecosystem?

So we designed this whole technology that we called "app store" that was the ability to buy these apps and run them in Salesforce. And when we launched it, we called it AppExchange and you can see it at AppExchange.com.

But we liked the App Store name so much that we bought the URL and trademarked it and then I was in the audience when he announced the App Store and I went up to him and I said "I have a gift for you. I'm going to give you the trademark and the URL for the help you gave me in 2003."
(Photo courtesy Flickr/Acaben)

Article Link: Steve Jobs' Impact Felt Well Beyond Apple

Last edited by a moderator:

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

What would be the point of having a trademark if you don't protect it? That defeats the entire purpose. Sure, Apple received it as a gift, but that doesn't mean to completely abandon the system's purpose out of the goodness of its heart.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
This surge of interesting stories, big and small, surrounding Apple and Steve Jobs was something I had never expected to see when Jobs stepped down, but I for one am enjoying them!

It touches me to read these stories as told by numerous entrepreneurs in the industry. And what a testament to his influence, with the many industry profiles looking up to him. I hope that Steve Jobs has taken some of these stories to heart as they keep coming up, finding comfort and satisfaction in the midst of his hard times right now.

B J M

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2011
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm sure a new turtle neck would have sufficed..

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
"and i think everyone is trying to catch up to where they are"

so true. not based on hardware alone.. that can be disproven by stats on paper.. but apples image, their quality of product, the complete package.

Apple is the best company out there right now that can pair together good hardware with great software, in an elegantly designed package.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
This surge of interesting stories, big and small, surrounding Apple and Steve Jobs was something I had never expected to see when Jobs stepped down, but I for one am enjoying them!

It touches me to read these stories as told by numerous entrepreneurs in the industry. And what a testament to his influence, with the many industry profiles looking up to him. I hope that Steve Jobs has taken some of these stories to heart as they keep coming up, finding comfort and satisfaction in the midst of his hard times right now.

Beautiful post.

macnisse

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Nice story. Great gift!

Icehand03

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2010

I completely agree with *LTD*, absolutely amazing post.

Sep 17, 2007
Tried looking at some of the demos on the salesforce website but you have to hand them your personal data first.

Seems a bit self-defeating for them. Wonder if Steve will point that out to them.

Freis968

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2007
Ocoee, Florida
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Overwhelmed by the generosity, Jobs then gave him a $25 iTunes giftcard.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Overwhelmed by the generosity, Jobs then gave him a $25 iTunes giftcard.

Eh he's not that bad. Probably gave him the back to school discount on all new MacBook'sm :D :D

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
and Apple is suing Amazon for using the term "App Store"?

Did you read the story? When Marc Benioff needed some advice, he went to Steve Jobs, and not to Amazon. And apparently he got some really, really good advice. From Steve Jobs, not from Jeff Bezos. And that is why Apple is suing Amazon, and not Amazon suing Apple.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030

as am I, a remarkable Man

Benjamins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

What would be the point of having a trademark if you don't protect it? That defeats the entire purpose. Sure, Apple received it as a gift, but that doesn't mean to completely abandon the system's purpose out of the goodness of its heart.

Just because someone gave me something, doesn't mean someone else can take it.

When it's a gift from someone, it's even more important to protect it.

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

ProwlingTiger said:

It sounds as though Benioff wasn't aware that Jobs was going to launch the App Store. He could have fought for it, but he decided to give it up as a gift to his mentor. Remember that by this time SalesForce had already settled on the App Exchange name.

Tiggs

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It sounds as though Benioff wasn't aware that Jobs was going to launch the App Store. He could have fought for it, but he decided to give it up as a gift to his mentor. Remember that by this time SalesForce had already settled on the App Exchange name.

Considering the timeframe of 2003, doubt an App store was even on Jobs mind or even the iPhone. Those were the glory days for the iPod and iTunes adoption.

Good story, hes such a unique and great influence on countless areas.

ModerateFKR

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
Considering the timeframe of 2003, doubt an App store was even on Jobs mind or even the iPhone. Those were the glory days for the iPod and iTunes adoption.

Good story, hes such a unique and great influence on countless areas.

Only four years before iPhone was released? Do you really think so? Working backwards, the first iPhone was unveiled by Steve Jobs on January 9, 2007. The first iPod was announced on October 23, 2001, and released on November 10, 2001.

I think we can be pretty certain conversations took place along the lines of: "Where else can we take this stuff?" from very early on. One thing that has characterised Apple's success since Steve's return in 1997 is the evidence of very good, very intuitive forward planning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.