Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

11c48.jpg

Apple today pushed out new test builds of OS X 10.7.2 and iCloud for OS X developers, continuing to quickly move forward with testing of iCloud. As with the previous interval, the updates come exactly one week after the previous seeds.

Unlike last week's release, there is no new beta of iPhoto 9.2 in today's set of seeds. There also appear to be no new developer releases on the iOS side, with Apple having released the seventh beta of iOS 5 just two days ago.

We've yet to hear about any specific changes in the latest seeds, but Apple has been asking developer to target AirPort, AppKit, GraphicsDrivers, iCal, iChat, Mac App Store, Mail, Spotlight, and Time Machine with the last several builds of OS X 10.7.2.

Apple has announced that it will be launching iOS 5 and iCloud this fall, and the company has been rumored to be launching new iPhone hardware in early-to-mid October, with iOS 5 and iCloud should be going live right around that same time. Apple earlier this week began developer testing on iTunes Match, a paid service that stores all of a user's music in the cloud for access from any Internet-connected iOS device or computer.

Thanks, Chanyoon!

Article Link: Apple Seeds OS X Lion 10.7.2 Build 11C48 and iCloud Beta 10 to Developers

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Why would think that? Can you instant message, attach AIM, and have a group conversation in Facetime? Learn to common sense.

No, but they didn't add new features. And they could have simply added iChat to the iOS platform, instead of making up something new. Trust me, I use iChat, not FaceTime. I just found it odd how they actually care about iChat when they think FaceTimes is the bomb.

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
Apple still cares about iChat? I thought they pretty much abandoned it in favor of FaceTime.

I'm still waiting for them to integrate these two somehow. It seems almost stupid to have two separate apps on a Mac.

I really wish iMessage would be more like iChat too. I'm somewhat disappointed with it. You can't even message other iChat users with it (such as with a MobileMe email address).

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

ouimetnick said:
Why would think that? Can you instant message, attach AIM, and have a group conversation in Facetime? Learn to common sense.

No, but they didn't add new features. And they could have simply added iChat to the iOS platform, instead of making up something new. Trust me, I use iChat, not FaceTime. I just found it odd how they actually care about iChat when they think FaceTimes is the bomb.

They did add new features. It got an official plugin support and consolidated buddy list in Lion.

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
I'm still waiting for them to integrate these two somehow. It seems almost stupid to have two separate apps on a Mac.

I really wish iMessage would be more like iChat too. I'm somewhat disappointed with it. You can't even message other iChat users with it (such as with a MobileMe email address).

a la Skype would be wonderful. The video quality with FT is much better than Skype for me; the ability to be an all-in-one communicator is still holding me to Skype.

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
10.7.2 is a bug-fix/optimization update and the separate iCloud installer is for iCloud, right? Or is the 10.7.2 update only for iCloud in addition to the iCloud installer?

Macopotamus

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
So it is probably safe to assume that 10.7.2 gets pushed out on iPhone 5 release day for iCloud compatibility

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…

Would have been nice, IMO, if Apple combined the two apps. They both basically do the same thing: let people chat in real time. Since iChat already provided video chat functionality, would make sense. Or at least to me.

As for the actual 10.7.2 update, nice to see progress. However, I have the server tools installed on my computer and the seed doesn't install. For the 10.7.1 update, I got a "Mac OS X Server" update. Considering how much Apple seems to want to consolidate the client/server versions, this seems silly to me. Plus, I work in IT so I would like to see how well it works in a test environment before rolling out to production machines.

davidwarren

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007

bb426 sounds like someone who has really learned to common sense.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I hope 10.7.2 has some serious bug fixes in it and is a large release. There are tons of polish problems in Lion and some pretty nasty bugs I can't believe made it past QA.

I like Lion and think it points to an exciting future. But it needs some serious fit and finish work.

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
I hope 10.7.2 has some serious bug fixes in it and is a large release. There are tons of polish problems in Lion and some pretty nasty bugs I can't believe made it past QA.

Unless pushing iCloud out the door has consumed all the development resources, I'd expect this update to hit a lot of issues. Especially given that 10.7.1 seemed like a quickie.

I like Lion and think it points to an exciting future. But it needs some serious fit and finish work.

I think all OS X versions are in the same shape at this point. Maturity will take a couple more updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.