Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mimpd123

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

The story so far as I've seen and can infer.
Apple employee loses IP5. Reports to apple. Security contacts police(formally or informally). Apple security meets up with police at the last GPS ping of the phone. Police talk to resident of the home(possibly with some verbal sparring to gain an upper hand to make the resident more cooperative). Resident was asked if the apple employees can look around for the phone. Resident agrees. Apple employees search with consent and probably don't damage anything in the process while the cops witness from outside.

Honestly, the only thing that sounds wrong is that the police didn't report the incident properly. This could lead to allegations of the police threatening the resodent if he doesnt comply.
Apple, however, didn't do anything wrong if they were allowed inside by the resident.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
No. Apple requested officers from the SFPD attend a residence with them in order to gain entry to search the house, vehicle and computers in that private residence. If not for the police presence and implied intimidation, do you think it is likely Apple security would have otherwise gained that access? Nothing like the threat of police action against you (implicit in their being there) to gain cooperation from some.

If I bring a goon to your house, with the implied thread he will break you legs unless you give me money, is only the goon outside guilty of extortion?

You watch too much TV... do you think they showed up and jacked the guy up while the Apple thugs rummaged through his place? Come on... think man... it's not Hollywood... this is reality.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
I think he meant that the phone is worth billions to Apple in terms of sales, not the lost phone itself. It's the prototype of the next iPhone which will generate billions for Apple.

So was the iphone4, but the release of the pictures made apple sell how many less phones? It is not worth billions, its imaginary attached value, its like claiming the first phone of the production line is worth 1/100 of a billion, because its the 100th phone produced.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I agree on 'what we know' being true or not. So far Mr. Sergio Calderón has been forthcoming and a lot of people were accusing him of lying.

But it's the SFPD that are back tracking and Apple hasn't said anything.
So we will have to see.

There really won't be anything to see, because it's unlikely the story will go that far. Apple and the police won't be implicated in anything, and Calderón will have nothing to pursue. Probably because all parties actually acted legally in the first place, which is what is (slowly) becoming apparent.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
Well if that's what the police are for, then I will be stopping by for 4 police to "Assist" be to by friend Billy's house so he can pay me the $300 he owes me right?

I guess if you are a high enough tax payer you get Police to "assist" you on your loss of prototype material because dumbass employees can't drink and lose things easily

If you have a legal right to that $300 then yes that is what would happen....the only difference here is that Apple seems to have gotten got assistance immediately...but that Prototype is exponentially more valuable then the $300 your owed and its presumed location could swiftly change but the $300 your owed location is not swiftly changing....which should the police pursue? Should they tell Apple they are too busy chasing your $300 instead of there much more valuable device?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
How come they keep posting a photo of that place?
Something fishy is going on here, and IT COULD BE THE LIME MARINATED SHRIMP THINGY.

dankly

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2011
Radelaide
Does anyone else think its odd that something so sought after and discussed can simply be "lost"?

Im guessing that the iPhone6 prototype will suffer the same fate...and so on.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
No. Apple requested officers from the SFPD attend a residence with them in order to gain entry to search the house, vehicle and computers in that private residence. If not for the police presence and implied intimidation, do you think it is likely Apple security would have otherwise gained that access? Nothing like the threat of police action against you (implicit in their being there) to gain cooperation from some.

If I bring a goon to your house, with the implied thread he will break you legs unless you give me money, is only the goon outside guilty of extortion?
You watch too much television.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
Yes but why 3 seperate articles? couldn't at least the earlier one been updated?

Mimpd123

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

With regard to the police presence being considered a threat:
If by simple presence you feel that police are a threat, you should get some therapy or move away from whatever town you live in.
It can only be considered a threat if they were showing signs of force(guns drawn, yelling, etc.) or if they threatened to do anything illegal if they didn't receive cooperation.
If the only threats were implicit by their presence there is no wrongdoing. Also, giving the alternative of being fined or arrested for a real offense isn't threatening.

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
If your phone was actually a corporate prototype worth billions of dollars, then maybe.
If these prototype iPhones are worth billions of dollars to Apple, they should stop leaving them at every god damn bar in California.

Don't leave them laying around to get picked up, stolen, pilfered, borrowed, or whatnot and you don't have to worry about it.

Have they thought of chaining them to the people who can take them off campus?

weespeed

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
There really won't be anything to see, because it's unlikely the story will go that far. Apple and the police won't be implicated in anything, and Calderón will have nothing to pursue. Probably because all parties actually acted legally in the first place, which is what is (slowly) becoming apparent.

We will have to see. And not recording it on the books is not acting legally. Then denying it then back-tracking is an issue.

I live here in the Bay Area. And I've seen cases like this. And IMO he is getting paid and the officers will get a paid leave of absence until further notice and come back to work as usual.

And if the threat of immigration status is true the **** will hit the fan.
In the Bay Area we don't take likely to those things. There are lots of non-profits that will go after this just on that basis.
So it won't just go away.
SFPD is screwed either way for not following protocol.

Weather Apple is going to get in trouble remains to be seen.

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
If you have a legal right to that $300 then yes that is what would happen....the only difference here is that Apple seems to have gotten got assistance immediately...but that Prototype is exponentially more valuable then the $300 your owed and its presumed location could swiftly change but the $300 your owed location is not swiftly changing....which should the police pursue? Should they tell Apple they are too busy chasing your $300 instead of there much more valuable device?

Dude you are so wrong.
There is no way the police will involve themselves in a civil matter.
Yes they should tell Apple to go deal with it through the civil court process.
That they didn't sends a clear message that Apple are way more important than regular poor folk like us. :(

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
The action movie about corporations continues...

Honestly though, this is getting really, really weird. If I were a citizen of SF, I would contact SFPD and urge them to find out the truth. Did their officers really visit the house and help shady corporate agents raid an innocent man's house?

And why didn't they file an official report, as per "procedure" that they "assisted" Apple in doing so?

Something's really fishy here... and someone is guilty here, too. Either the corporate agents for unlawfully doing something (in the presence of cops, for God's sake!), or the cops for not following procedure and filing the reports.

Poor guy's life has been disrupted... for better or for worse.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
Dude you are so wrong.
There is no way the police will involve themselves in a civil matter.
Yes they should tell Apple to go deal with it through the civil court process.
That they didn't sends a clear message that Apple are way more important than regular poor folk like us. :(

Theft is a civil matter?

Look one post below mine.

Mimpd123

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011

This isn't a civil matter. Theft of property is a criminal offense. and considering the value(not cost) ofthe property it should be taken very seriously.

cere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
You watch too much TV... do you think they showed up and jacked the guy up while the Apple thugs rummaged through his place? Come on... think man... it's not Hollywood... this is reality.
Hollywood? Please.

At least four cops, six people in total, show up at your door asking for entry. You aren't a little intimidated? Personally, I don't think the physically intimidated or threatened him. That many cops at your door is intimidating enough. But if the rest of Sergio's story is true, and it certainly seems to be being confirm as we find out more, then they also used racist implied threats of deportation (and misplaced as he is a citizen) to help persuade him.

Nothing hollywood about that.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Why is Cava 22 pictured in this article? How is it relevant? Stop advertising for them.

You're right, I should have used a picture of shrimp ceviche

4937121779_ae5408dcf9.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/loridstone/4937121779/

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
So....why hasn't someone leaked the phone and made a crapload of money in the process?

cere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
You watch too much television.

??? I am not saying they extorted him or physically threatened him. That was just an example of intimidation by extension.

The four cops outside his door would be intimidation enough. Nothing 'TV' about that.

jwhite878

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2010
How is it done?
What about Mr. Sergio Calderón??
You guys make it like he has no rights and anyone can come in and search is house if they come with four SFPD officers.

This is going to end one way, Mr. Sergio Calderón is going to get alot of money from Apple and SFPD.

Why? He has no case. He didn't have to let them in if they didn't have a warrant. It's not like the police physically harmed or threatened him. They just asked to take a look around. He didn't have to say yes, but he did.

Mimpd123

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011

1) threatening to deport someone, or investigate their citizenship isn't racism. It may be motivated by racism, but it's more likely just trying to find leverage over a 'suspect'(for lack of a better word).
2) if he is a legal citizen, how can his citizenship status be used as a threat against him?
3) as a citizen, he should understand his rights and not be intimidated by the mere presence of police. If he can be intimidated that easily I feel sorry for him.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.