Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

deutsche_telekom_hq.jpg

Several days ago, German site iPhoneBlog.de reported [Google translation] that Deutsche Telekom would begin offering "Premieren Tickets" for the iPhone 5 today, essentially first-come, first-served reservations for the new device whenever it debuts.

The company confirmed to Bloomberg earlier today that the program is now in effect.
Deutsche Telekom AG (DTE) will allow customers to reserve the next generation of Apple Inc. (AAPL)'s iPhone as of today in anticipation of supply bottlenecks for the device, spokesman Alexander von Schmettow said by phone.

The operator will hand out coupons to people who expressly request the successor model to the iPhone 4, without providing the name or release details of the device, he said.
The development comes as other retailers and carriers are also working to prepare for the launch, which has been rumored for early next month. Apple generally keeps its carrier partners in the dark about its specific release plans until it is ready to make a public announcement, so it certainly appears that retailers and carriers are simply working based on circulating rumors rather than any official information.

Nevertheless, excitement for the iPhone 5 continues to build as Apple has pushed the update interval on the device well beyond its usual 12-month cycle. Confusion remains about just what Apple is planning to introduce for this next iPhone revamp, with a number of part leaks hinting at a so-called "iPhone 4S" appearing nearly identical to the existing iPhone 4 seeing the widest publicity. But persistent rumors of a full iPhone 5 revamp also continue, with third-party cases based on a purported leaked design document pointing toward a significantly thinner but taller and wider device with a display in the neighborhood of 4 inches.

Article Link: Deutsche Telekom Begins Offering iPhone 5 Pre-Order Reservation Tickets

DB2k

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2007
Jumping the gun stating its iPhone5 aren't you Macrumours? the link says next gen. Which a 4S would be.

LondonCentral

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
I'm all for anything that cuts down on the number of twits who feel the need to camp outside stores days before it's released.

It's time we got civilized. Hopefully it's one spot per customer.

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
Jumping the gun stating its iPhone5 aren't you Macrumours? the link says next gen. Which a 4S would be.

At this stage we have no confirmation that there will be an iPhone 5, nor an iPhone 4S, so technically the most correct statement would just be "the next iPhone iteration until Apple releases an official statement declaring the name". But that's just an unwieldy statement, so iPhone 5 will suffice for now.

mKizzo

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
This whole launch is a bit strange. Normally there's the announcement that gives at least 1 month's notice for carriers to get stores ready for actual launch. Are people really thinking they will announce the phone at an iPod/media event early Oct and then the phone is on the shelves ready to buy?

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain

Let's see..

iPhone 1 = iPhone 2007
iPhone 2 = iPhone 3G 2008
iPhone 3 = iPhone 3GS 2009
iPhone 4 = iPhone 4 2010
iPhone 5 = iPhone 5/4S/Whateverthename 2011

No matter what name the 2011 iPhone has, it will be the 5th iPhone

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
I'm all for anything that cuts down on the number of twits who feel the need to camp outside stores days before it's released.

It's time we got civilized. Hopefully it's one spot per customer.

I wish. But this will happen any which way... such a waste of time.

These things never happen for anything that people actually NEED anymore.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Way to kill existing iPhone 4 sales, I'm sure Apple is just thrilled with this little publicity stunt from one of their supposed partners. :)

EmbraceTheOne

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2011

Does it really matter what we call it? Really ignorant post. As of right now, No-one knows. Might as well call it an iPhone 5 till the official announcement.

atomwork

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2001
Miami Beach
Way to kill existing iPhone 4 sales, I'm sure Apple is just thrilled with this little publicity stunt from one of their supposed partners. :)

Unless you live on the moon or the business buys the phone for you I don't know anyone how would spend this month his money on an old, outdated piece of hardware. Don't get me wrong, it's lovely but it is also 1+ year old. I think Apple's interest is to push new tech in big volume.

Mimpd123

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Ijustfarted said:
Let's hope it just has a bigger screen....:)

I'm hoping for something nearly identical to the iPhone 4 with A5 and 64GB of storage.
I really enjoyed the size of the 4. Made it easy to use onehanded. If it gets any wider it'll become more difficult to use that way for me.

iRACK

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2009
i was exited about this...

... but!

I own an iPhone 3GS and i am eligible for an regular upgrade meaning a renewed runtime of 24 month, receiving a subsidized iPhone X in return.

I called customer service just now to find out that the "Ticket" will only be awarded if i renew my contract as of today!

So they try to capture me and make sure i wont switch to a provider which might be offering a better Plan...

I decided not to grab that ticket since i like to have some choice when the new iPhone X arrives...

wegotapp

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2010
why does it not say anywhere in the article how do us "Europeans" preorder?

I've just called my local UK T-Mobile store and the girl didn't have a clue! :confused:

I'm sure if this was a US network it would have been the first thing asked :mad:

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
We know it's coming soon, the question is HOW SOON? Come on Apple, show me your four incher.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
If they keep the same form factor (roughly) I think 4" will look strange (especially since there would be next to no bezel thus making the probability of you accidentally pressing the screen more). 3.7" sounds nice.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Lol last year they couldnt serve every one even those who preordered with an iphone 4 on launch. The same day i randomly went to a tmobile store and they gave me one while they let others who preordered and were number whatever on a list wait. Their preorder lists r useless anyway, outta control. No one knows what another employer does

crazy4apple

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
London (UK)
At this stage we have no confirmation that there will be an iPhone 5, nor an iPhone 4S, so technically the most correct statement would just be "the next iPhone iteration until Apple releases an official statement declaring the name". But that's just an unwieldy statement, so iPhone 5 will suffice for now.

interesting, one thing is definate we know for a fact (apples CFO confirmed on the earning calls) that there will be a product transition and i pretty sure from what i recall he stated less Iphones Units will sold this Quarter in anticipation of this Product Transition.

now that sounds to me like NEW IPHONE 5/4s whatever a new iphone is new iphone

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Unless you live on the moon or the business buys the phone for you I don't know anyone how would spend this month his money on an old, outdated piece of hardware. Don't get me wrong, it's lovely but it is also 1+ year old. I think Apple's interest is to push new tech in big volume.

20,000,000 iPhones sold last quarter, that's 200,000 people a day who buy this "old, outdated" mobile phone.

Notice I didn't say "piece of hardware". :)

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I called customer service just now to find out that the "Ticket" will only be awarded if i renew my contract as of today!

I actually like the sound of that idea. Your contract would expire a month or so before everyone else who gets the phone through normal channels. Differences amongst local carriers would be minimal.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Until Apple makes their official announcement, it's quite sensible to call the 5th generation handset the iPhone 5.

Frankly, there's a good chance they will call it that anyhow.

After all, we know that Steve Jobs likes simplicity. The simplest thing would be for him (or someone else) to walk onto the stage and announce the iPhone 5, with the A5 chip, running iOS 5.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
why does it not say anywhere in the article how do us "Europeans" preorder?

I've just called my local UK T-Mobile store and the girl didn't have a clue! :confused:

I'm sure if this was a US network it would have been the first thing asked :mad:

Why would one think the "Telekom" is T-Mobile UK? What am I missing here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.