Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
I'll trade you a droid Phone, then you can deal with Preinstalled Apps that start on their own and control a vast portion of your unit.

...and you can deal with pre-installed apps that pretty much haven't evolved at all since 2007

utahnguy

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2009
Utah
Standard time units? What's wrong with seconds? Did you convert everything to Planck times or something? What is the use of that?

Also none of the other things have anything to do with how long it would take for photons emitted by the sun to reach us. Well permeability of free space does of course (and is this the electric or the magnetic?) but none of those point to it taking any longer than about 8 minutes.

Of course, if the sun explodes, it will continue to emit light for quite a bit longer than 8 minutes but that was not the point. If the Sun exploded, we'd know about it in 8 minutes. Not sooner since nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, and not later because even if the Sun would implode and from some kind of ultra strong magnetic field that would keep any photons from leaving (which is not going to happen, the Sun doesn't have enough mass for that), there will be lots and lots of neutrinos which will reach us and be detectable at that level. So there.

I came back to see if anyone replied to my comment, and noticed a discussion surrounding the time it takes the light from the sun to reach earth. "This didn't seriously start because of my harmless comment about knowing the sun will rise tomorrow, did it?" I thought to myself. Lo and behold, yes, it did. I think everyone that comments on a forum wants to say something so profound that it starts a discussion between multiple users, but I can honestly say that I never thought I would spark a discussion surrounding the intricacies of the speed of light, the sun, and it's distance to the earth.

Regardless, can I just say that I'm incredibly proud to have started this entire debate?

And arguing with the fact that it takes 8 minutes for the sun's light to reach Earth is so.. lame. That's like calling someone out for saying they're computer has "4 gigs" of RAM. *you clear your throat and push your glasses further up your nose* "Um technically you have 4,096 megabytes of random access memory, thereby it's incorrect to state that you have merely "4 gigs" Mm-hey"
frink.gif

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Some people just don't understand how this new generation thing works. They think an iPhone is an iPhone and don't understand about hardware cycles etc. Hell in the UK we still have newspaper adverts for discounted 3GS's on 2 year contracts!!!

Its likely someone somewhere in Britain today just signed up for a 3GS on a 24 month contract. So in September 2013 they will still be using a 4-year-old-tech mobile phone and think their hip'n'happening even tho we will likely be on iPhone 6 by then! :D

And you know what? That 3GS is still better than the old phone they are replacing. And they will be happy with it.

At least the 3GS was Apple's flagship phone at one time.

Many of the cheap Android phones were created just to be cheap phones... they were never flagship phones.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Pff

I phone 5 don't really care but IOS 5 now that is what I am really excited about.

Haha, so many down on not been an iphone 4S like that would make a difference as long as it has a nice A5 in it and so many want that 4 inch iphone fantasy. :)

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
At this stage we have no confirmation that there will be an iPhone 5, nor an iPhone 4S, so technically the most correct statement would just be "the next iPhone iteration until Apple releases an official statement declaring the name". But that's just an unwieldy statement, so iPhone 5 will suffice for now.

How about "The iPhone formally known as Four" or TiFKa4

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Let's see..

iPhone 1 = iPhone 2007
iPhone 2 = iPhone 3G 2008
iPhone 3 = iPhone 3GS 2009
iPhone 4 = iPhone 4 2010
iPhone 5 = iPhone 5/4S/Whateverthename 2011

No matter what name the 2011 iPhone has, it will be the 5th iPhone

He is right on that one 2011-2007= 4
So that settles it. It will be called the "iPhone 4 II"

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
This whole launch is a bit strange. Normally there's the announcement that gives at least 1 month's notice for carriers to get stores ready for actual launch. Are people really thinking they will announce the phone at an iPod/media event early Oct and then the phone is on the shelves ready to buy?

I agree. The more days that pass with no official say on the next iphone the more i think we (non US customers) will be lucky to see, or get our hands on it before Christmas. Its dragging on now, and everyday i think "may as well just get a iphone 4, its still beating the rivals".

We haven't even had any invites to the next release day, and that happens a few weeks before. Unless Apple, as well as changing the product release timings to over a year, they're now going to change the way they do the media event?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
We haven't even had any invites to the next release day, and that happens a few weeks before. Unless Apple, as well as changing the product release timings to over a year, they're now going to change the way they do the media event?

In recent history Apple has only given about a week notice of any special event, aside for WWDC. Recent rumors have pegged release around the beginning of Oct, and iOS 5 isn't due for general release until the end of this month. As today is Labor Day in the U.S., there was no way to have any product announcement this week as all reporters are coming back from vacation. It will be Wed or Thur next week, followed by the usual two week preorder period before release.

The manager at one of my local Apple stores told me today that there will be a Press Conference this week, on Wednesday 9/7/11.

Hey, he could be wrong, but...

Yeah right, the ultra-secretive Apple has informed a store manager about a press conf. that doesn't even concern his store. Most store managers don't even know about new product until they hear it like the rest of us. It's virtually impossible for Apple to hold a special event this week because of the holiday, and more importantly, it has yet to issue invitations. Apple can't hold a "press conf" if the press doesn't know to attend or where.

bigpics

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2002
Rockland County, New York
Enjoy your Android or Windows phone. :D

Steve isn't going to supersize the iPhone. That's completely against his aesthetic. He likes small, simple, elegant, and thin.

Apple has had multiple opportunities to increase the size of the handset, yet every time, it has remained the same size or slimmed down. We know the handset must pass the muster of one main person.

I'm certain that there are multiple prototype handsets with larger screens in a top-secret lab in Cupertino, however one guy green lights the final design and Steve isn't going to let a porker wear the Apple logo. Steve is perfectly fine letting fatties wear someone else's logo.
If the phone's finally being forked (ooo a tongue twister there), into a revamped lower end 4S and a higher 5 (maybe a 50-50 possibility based on all the conflicting rumors, part pix, case stuff, etc) the 4S will certainly have the same size screen (and likely case). The 5, if thinner than the 4, might be allowed 1-2 mm of extended width if the battery life remains constant and overall heft and volume are constant or smaller.

But not if Steve feels fewer distaff consumers would pick one up. It has to be mostly guys picking up these monster screens...... ...and there's not gonna be 3-4 phone models anytime soon.

Last edited:

yrsued

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I

Yeah right, the ultra-secretive Apple has informed a store manager about a press conf. that doesn't even concern his store. Most store managers don't even know about new product until they hear it like the rest of us. It's virtually impossible for Apple to hold a special event this week because of the holiday, and more importantly, it has yet to issue invitations. Apple can't hold a "press conf" if the press doesn't know to attend or where.

I never said this guy was right, did I??

Honestly, please read my post again...

I just relayed what I was told today and he has a 50/50 chance of being right. Either they will announce this week or they won't. Honestly, I don't care and it doesn't directly affect me in any way.

When they do indeed announce the stuff, I'll either call my Verizon Store or go into the Website and order one, I'm sick of the Droid.

Y

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Like a cancerous growth, "pre" appears almost commonplace now. Often it is mis-used- such as in "pre-order". If the item is in stock then I buy it; if not then I order it and wait until it arrives. "Pre" is completely unnecessary.

This site is one of the few where the author writes excellent English but please get rid of "pre".

BW

Richard.

Go for it, buddy! Admonish the writer with your linguistical wankery!

Pre-order is a marketing term and one that perfectly describes this situation.

Last edited:

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Steve wants infinity of those to be sold. All carriers should immediately implement a similar plan and make the backlog finally, and as a record, exceed one year.

:D

RM

----------

If the phone's finally being forked (ooo a tongue twister there), into a revamped lower end 4S and a higher 5 (maybe a 50-50 possibility based on all the conflicting rumors, part pix, case stuff, etc) the 4S will certainly have the same size screen (and likely case). The 5, if thinner than the 4, might be allowed 1-2 mm of extended width if the overall heft/volume/battery life remains constant of smaller.

But not if Steve feels fewer distaff consumers would pick one up. It has to be mostly guys picking up these monster screens......
What if the 5 is the iP5LC? Then what? China and India is Steve's oyster.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Standard time units? What's wrong with seconds? Did you convert everything to Planck times or something? What is the use of that?

Also none of the other things have anything to do with how long it would take for photons emitted by the sun to reach us. Well permeability of free space does of course (and is this the electric or the magnetic?) but none of those point to it taking any longer than about 8 minutes.

Of course, if the sun explodes, it will continue to emit light for quite a bit longer than 8 minutes but that was not the point. If the Sun exploded, we'd know about it in 8 minutes. Not sooner since nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, and not later because even if the Sun would implode and from some kind of ultra strong magnetic field that would keep any photons from leaving (which is not going to happen, the Sun doesn't have enough mass for that), there will be lots and lots of neutrinos which will reach us and be detectable at that level. So there.

Yep, we did everything in Planck's time. :( I guess my teacher just went a bit mental.

I'll try to dig up my notes and recall exactly what we did - we didn't actually need it for the course, it was just done for fun.

jwhite878

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2010
Jumping the gun stating its iPhone5 aren't you Macrumours? the link says next gen. Which a 4S would be.

Your post might be the most down voted I've ever seen on this site, so congratulations... I guess...

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
call me crazy but taking preorders for a phone when you don't even know how many you have to give out is gonna backfire

they need to make it very clear that they're reserving a spot in line, and aren't actually guaranteed a phone

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
Really?

Way to kill existing iPhone 4 sales, I'm sure Apple is just thrilled with this little publicity stunt from one of their supposed partners. :)

this is the biggest non-story regarding Apple since, well, the last phone they released. Quite frankly, Apple gets a big hard-on watching everybody line up, scream when then have the new device in hand, etc ,etc. I will echo a previous post: lets be civilized. Allow pre-orders, eliminate the bull-sheet lines and just sell the devices. Of course, this will never happen....:(

zeromeus

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2008
SOCAL
I will echo a previous post: lets be civilized. Allow pre-orders, eliminate the bull-sheet lines and just sell the devices. Of course, this will never happen....:(

Lining up at the store to get a super hot product is itself publicity for Apple. They would not want that to stop. How hot a product is in the eye of a non apple fan is determined by how long the lines are and how long they must wait until it's available to the average Joe. Therefore, Apple will continue to allow lines to form....

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Some people have pointed out that people are pre-ordering sight unseen. There is only one company in the world that can do this, it's Apple. They have built up so much goodwill with customers, delivering hit product after hit product, they could take pre-orders for iPhone 6 and they would sell out overnight. Any other product from any other company and people would "wait and see".

It's amazing what Steve Jobs accomplished.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
Some people have pointed out that people are pre-ordering sight unseen. There is only one company in the world that can do this, it's Apple. They have built up so much goodwill with customers, delivering hit product after hit product, they could take pre-orders for iPhone 6 and they would sell out overnight. Any other product from any other company and people would "wait and see".

It's amazing what Steve Jobs accomplished.

...and so different from what HP accomplished. They couldn't get people post-order their crapo... especially after people looked at what it was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.