Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 7, 2011, 03:36 PM   #26
umbilical
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Apple will not be incorporating a GarageBand-style user interface for the revamped application
great!!!!!! i want it with new price! like final cut pro, and please tell me somebody

why, but really! why, the adobe apps are toooooooo high price, If price are like final cut pro, everybody buy it and dont donwload illegal... $299 is a really great price for software for pros... IMHO
umbilical is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 03:37 PM   #27
Hastings101
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner83 View Post
I wish Facebook was leaning towards a release of Facebook iPad App
I wish Nintendo was leaning towards a release of New Super Mario Bros. 3 for iPad, but we can't all get what we wish for.
Hastings101 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 03:39 PM   #28
fxtech
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurv View Post
Im a sound tech and im not botherd i dont think logic is that great only the plug ins for instruments ill stick to abelton and pro tools
They don't teach punctuation in sound tech school, huh?
fxtech is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 03:41 PM   #29
wescravn
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to wescravn
Omg

OMG, there dumbing down Logic X. It's obvious, when they say there integrating waveburner into the program.

Digidesign here i come
wescravn is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 03:41 PM   #30
fxtech
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTheSpoon View Post
Uh oh...I really hope they don't screw it up...
My mother always told me you can hope in one hand and #$%^ in the other and you'll still just end up with some #$%^ in your hand.
fxtech is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 03:42 PM   #31
PKGuy323
macrumors newbie

I am FOR a GarageBandPro interface. The current one for Logic 9.1.5 is so un-intuitve. I find myself gravitating toward GarageBand first every time I get an idea for a song...and there's an iPad app for it.

What I am hoping is NOT the case is that is could be Lion-only compatible.

The current work-flow in Logic really doesn't make much sense. There would be alot of bug-fixing if the app was built from the ground-up.
PKGuy323 is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 03:42 PM   #32
fxtech
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by wescravn View Post
OMG, there dumbing down Logic X. It's obvious, when they say there integrating waveburner into the program.

Digidesign here i come
I don't think it's obvious yet that THEY'RE dumbing it down, but we can probably safely assume that THEY'RE doing it.
fxtech is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 03:44 PM   #33
Icaras
macrumors 601

Yes! Finally some news on Logic!

I'm really hoping for a end of summer release, if at least not by the end of the year.

Please don't wait till 2012 to release this, Apple.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 03:47 PM   #34
AppleInLVX
macrumors 6502a

I was just contemplating buying Logic Express because Garageband can't do simple punch ins. Maybe I oughta wait. Hm.
AppleInLVX is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 03:51 PM   #35
gate5blues
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly0fdoom View Post
I'm actually wondering what Apple could possibly do to Logic to make its interface more Garageband-like than it already is. Both are pretty damn similar already (the only problem I had figuring out Logic after a few years of using Garageband was getting used to different keystrokes). Apple already pulled a Garageband-ification when they added the option to consolidate all the windows and browsers into the main window for Logic 8; the only thing left is changing the color palate of the interface.
Well, I think part of the redesign will be to accommodate a UI that is touch friendly. It may not be a drastic overhaul, but you can probably expect all the very small cluttered buttons to be replaced with action pullouts or pop-menus to make them easier to click on with a stubby finger.

I'm betting since Apple is moving towards touch that most of their interfaces will start gearing towards gestures instead of keystrokes and keyboard shortcuts. We've seen trackpads shipping with Macs instead of mice, a touch screen device (that uses a desktop type operating system such as lion or an amalgamation of OSX and iOS for touch screen might be in the future...
gate5blues is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 03:53 PM   #36
davidec
macrumors regular

Calm ourselves down

Quite clear that none of you are regular Logic users considering the comments you are making. Firstly, Logic has already need dumbed down when Apple took over for version 8. Sure they will want to feature better integration and deliver at a cheaper price point but there are genuine competitors now that Apple actually have to work hard to stave off. Bear in mind that much of the original Emagic team are still working on Logic so it will still retain it's depth even if it is encased in a simpler interface.
Apple needs to keep things as they are and add some proper 'on the fly' time stretching and pitching abilities like Live and to a lesser degree, Tools. They clearly had the tech in Logic 9 with varispeed but didn't implement it fully. Worst case scenario I'll just stick with 9 and use Live, Tools, Reason and Cubase more often.
Logic Pro X and a new Mac Pro please!
davidec is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 03:55 PM   #37
mandoman
macrumors 6502

I don't see this as an App Store release unless they remove all the virtual instruments and loops. That content is close to 70gigs! That is part of what made logic such a good value. Remove that, and they will need to lower the cost of Logic a whole lot!
mandoman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 03:58 PM   #38
pounce
macrumors regular

i am officially nervous about this.
www.paperstreetaudio.com
pounce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 03:59 PM   #39
jayducharme
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKGuy323 View Post
I am FOR a GarageBandPro interface. The current one for Logic 9.1.5 is so un-intuitve.
I too am not a big fan of Logic's UI. It doesn't make much sense unless you use it constantly and get used to it. The current version of Garage Band already does much of what Logic Express does. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Express is discontinued as with FC.
jayducharme is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 04:02 PM   #40
wescravn
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to wescravn
David, I've been using Logic since 2006. Yes, they did dumb-it-down with Version 8;however apple wants to reach that pro-sumer market. It's obvious from the posts, that some people think Logic is hard, when it in fact isn't. I'm an instructor, so I know it's depth. Remove the environment, and change the interface to Final Cut Xish interface. How about a magnetic timeline?
Just let's hope the emagic team has veto power here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidec View Post
Quite clear that none of you are regular Logic users considering the comments you are making. Firstly, Logic has already need dumbed down when Apple took over for version 8. Sure they will want to feature better integration and deliver at a cheaper price point but there are genuine competitors now that Apple actually have to work hard to stave off. Bear in mind that much of the original Emagic team are still working on Logic so it will still retain it's depth even if it is encased in a simpler interface.
Apple needs to keep things as they are and add some proper 'on the fly' time stretching and pitching abilities like Live and to a lesser degree, Tools. They clearly had the tech in Logic 9 with varispeed but didn't implement it fully. Worst case scenario I'll just stick with 9 and use Live, Tools, Reason and Cubase more often.
Logic Pro X and a new Mac Pro please!
wescravn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 04:05 PM   #41
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3r0 View Post
If true Apple appears to have learned a lesson from the FCP X mess.
Yes Apple learnt that (the 5%) unhappy FCPX users can winge and make more noise then the (95%) happy customers ever could.

FCPX is a great application. But yeah that very vocal very tiny minority can create some real PR nightmares for Apple. So they are wisely trying to make sure they don't winge about LPX too.
the8thark is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 04:05 PM   #42
H. Flower
macrumors 6502

Bend over and grab your ankles, guys.
H. Flower is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 04:08 PM   #43
ppc_michael

Send a message via AIM to ppc_michael
It's inevitable, I guess.

I switched to Reaper for a project I'm collaborating on (I needed a cross-platform solution). I'm actually really enjoying it, so I guess if Logic goes X then I have a backup plan.
ppc_michael is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 04:09 PM   #44
butterfly0fdoom
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gate5blues View Post
Well, I think part of the redesign will be to accommodate a UI that is touch friendly. It may not be a drastic overhaul, but you can probably expect all the very small cluttered buttons to be replaced with action pullouts or pop-menus to make them easier to click on with a stubby finger.

I'm betting since Apple is moving towards touch that most of their interfaces will start gearing towards gestures instead of keystrokes and keyboard shortcuts. We've seen trackpads shipping with Macs instead of mice, a touch screen device (that uses a desktop type operating system such as lion or an amalgamation of OSX and iOS for touch screen might be in the future...
And I honestly wouldn't mind that. The interface could use a good clean-up and refreshening.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 04:09 PM   #45
edenwaith
macrumors 6502a

Just a day or two ago I was looking at Logic Express. Glad to hear the first bits of rumors about a new version that might be in the works. I'd like to try out Logic Express, but if a new version might be not too far off, then I'll wait a little longer to see what might happen.
edenwaith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 04:10 PM   #46
R3k
macrumors regular

Nice to hear about Logic again.

Interesting watching the developments with FCut X and applying the same concerns to Logic X.

Im currently using Logic 9 in a professional multi workstation operation. Been using logic since version 4. In my opinion, logic has been slipping as a professional app ever since Apple purchased it (V7). There have been heaps of enhancements and such, sure, many of them great, yet the slow progression of the app away from professional production and into the prosumer realm have been obvious to me.

-Noise Bursts and feedback - I can actually create the feedback issue consistently on moderate sized 5.1 projects by switching a stereo instrument to output 5.1 while the song is playing.
-Moderate sized surround sound projects breaking latency compensation (forget using a Liner Phase EQ on the master)
-Multiple automation copying / moving problems. Love the one when you drag out the start of the song into minus bars. Then hit undo. Notice the automation stays where it is. There are other subtle ways that cause the automation to freak out and offset.
-Broken features that are still listed, say "Cut Insert Time"
-Flex Time Issues when flexed tracks move out of time occasionally / often in loaded sessions.
-Flex time on surround interleaved files only outputs as stereo
-Audio editor cant do much with surround interleaved files
-Quicktime VIdeo export down the drain with Quicktime 7. Only usable in 32bit mode, and broken is OSX lion.
-Arrange page Waveform and MIDI drawing sucks. GO check out reaper to see how much nice it could be, and how much of a difference it makes
- Smart Snapping in the arrange is a little buggy (and or some object drawing) and really isn't as nice as it could be.
- Live mode and processor threads how they relate to plugging chains can be a pain…maxed out core 8 anyone?

And a hundred other little things that are messed up that require experience and workflow changes so as to not put your foot in it and break and ankle.

blah blah vent I know. Many of these issues only really get unmanageable once you start to push the system hard with leads of tracks, instruments, 5.1, Reverbs, etc.

But, honestly:

I would actually love logic to be Taken in the FCPX direction. Seriously.

Logic Pro its roots is legacy software. I think it really needs a full Audio Engine rewrite, automation rewrite, and for the devs to go over all those features that are broken, neglected, or just excess baggage for the prosumer, and trim them off.

Id like to see logic as a slimline mean machine again. As I cant ever see Apple addressing a whole bunch power user concerns that most users never encounter, I think logic should be dumbed down, and tightened up.

I can then play around with logic on the weekends.

And work with Nuendo for projects, cause their focus is on people like us.

R3k

P.s. Happy they're bringing Waveburner into Logic, I thought they'd left that one out in the sun to die.

Last edited by R3k; Sep 7, 2011 at 04:26 PM.
R3k is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 04:11 PM   #47
dhrlove
macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

As a FCP user, I'm praying for you Logic users.
dhrlove is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 04:12 PM   #48
Skika
macrumors 68020

I love Logic! I am (was) still on Logic 8, but now i am getting Logic 9 so it can run on Lion. I really do hope Logic X will be a great piece of software.

I am open minded but i do use a lot of features of Logic so i dont want it dumbed down.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 04:13 PM   #49
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidec View Post
Quite clear that none of you are regular Logic users considering the comments you are making.
Bold words, considering the dozens of users that have posted already.

Like the other person says about his experience, I myself have been using Logic since version 5...so not sure why you would assume and judge complete strangers on the internet so hastily, only based off a series of "comments".

Really?
Old Sep 7, 2011, 04:20 PM   #50
MartiNZ
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkevykev View Post
I am genuinely terrified....
/thread IMO. Maybe this time they just won't take the old one off the market, so they don't have to embarrassingly revert such decision .
MartiNZ is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion