Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
So what would be new for the iPhone 5? I don't believe this one..
Probably the A5 chip, a dual-core processor with the enhanced graphics that the iPad 2 has.

Most likely HSPA+ cellular data. Maybe some battery performance improvements.

Thus, the three improvements that would benefit Joe Consumer the most.

Pegamush

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
hello iphone 4S.
if they are still selling tons of 'em, why would they have to redesign it again?
a 4S, re-engineered from the inside (A5 chip, better battery, antenna, other minor improvements) will still sell a lot.
ok, maybe there aren't so many people who will likely upgrade from a 4 to a 4S, but who cares?

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
This seems reasonable to me. My guess is that the major marketing push will be the Siri/personal assistant features that will be software driven but would "require" the upgraded internals of the 4S.

The update would be relatively minor compared to the iPhone 4 but would increase the gap between the current model and the 3GS, most likely targeting them and perhaps the strongest early adopters. Heck- if they completely changed the relatively simple form factor every year (it is primarily just a screen with a button) it would convey that even apple didn't like its own designs to be so fickle.

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
Wait 15 months and we get the exact same design? I'd pass on that one. No one cares about CPU upgrades, as evidenced by the fact that when the 3GS came out, a lot of people said "meh".

I don't think Apple can get away with a new model using the same design anymore. If your average person can't explain the differences between the models, then it's pretty much as if it never happened.

The numbers, however, don't agree that nobody cared about the 3GS. iPhone sales have gone up year over year and the 3GS was an integral part of that cycle.

I think it's totally reasonable to expect an incremental upgrade.

First, it was unsustainable to ramp down iPhone 4 manufacturing as soon as they managed to establish a supply-demand balance in early 2011 for a summer release. The continued growth of iPhone 4 sales in the last quarter prove that was a wise move.

Second, Apple will sell more iPhones next year with or without people who are upgrading on a yearly basis. People buy new phones generally based on a 2 year contract, so big upgrades every two years is sufficient.

Finally, there will be new Android devices on a regular basis and there is no expectation of keeping up with that.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
Apple's ability to design and build millions of devices - while keeping the entire world in suspenders is certainly improving. We are a couple of weeks away an no one is any the wiser.

I suspect this time round we are in for some surprises.

The 3rd party case manufacturers seem to believe the tapering large screen rumors.

Perhaps Apple will kill-off the iPod touch and replace it with the 4" iPad mini. Complete with 3G - and game-friendly rocker button?

C.

Rivix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2005
After the debacle of the iPhone 4 leak last year, it's not crazy to think that Apple invested lots of time and money this year to keep this next generation phone a giant secret.

It's still hard for me to believe that after hitting so many hands at Foxconn, part suppliers and even telecoms, very little has leaked out about the biggest fall release.

It seams more logical to me that there isn't one, and hence the lack of information. Usually, the simplest answer is usually correct.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Disappointing as it is, I'm betting that this is pretty close to the truth.
The iPhone 4 is still flying high and just like the 3G to 3GS is only getting a minor bump.
The delays were most likely due to vendor difficulties in Asia and 16-month wait time or not, the new iPhone was "designed" a year or more ago and they weren't going to change the design just to increase the Wow-factor and make people forget the delay.
The tapered cases are really for the 2012 Touch which is going to be larger, larger-screened, more game-oriented device.
This rumor really does bring all the pieces of the puzzle together.

Windmill360

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
I talked to a sprint guy the other day. He says they are releasing iPhone 4s and iPhone 5. Two phones.

mikelegacy

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Another "Analyst" sharing his opinion of things he knows not of. I think it's weird that no parts have been leaked, but perhaps Apple has just learned how to keep a secret.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
The next iPhone is all about taking advantage of key new technologies in the iOS platform. Current generation iPhone models will really struggle to deliver the perfect experience most of us Apple device consumers demand, once iOS 5 launches. But the new iPhone will have incredible processing power and blazing-fast RAM to deliver an awesome mobile experience. It will be so much better than every iPhone model before it, and will of course completely destroy every Android and Windows Phone on the market. So I for one cannot wait to get my hands on one of these bad boys. I'd urge everyone else to upgrade too.

And you base that on what? Even the beta runs flawlessly on my iPhone 4....

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
It's really starting to seem like we won't getting a big upgrade, which leaves me confused as to why they would wait so long to introduce it.

A case does not a big upgrade make. Really, the 3GS type upgrade is big enough as is.

iPhone 4 case or New case, it doesn't matter. As long as we get the A5, a better camera and a couple of new hardware features, this is going to be a great new iPhone.

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
This guy is 100% dead-on. I've been saying this for months.

Those of you who are "pissed off", WTF does Apple "owe" you? Sure, I can see being disappointed, reluctant to buy, etc, but don't get yer panties in a bunch. It's just a phone folks, and yeah, Apple seems to be phoning it in these days. If this is indeed the next phone, I might buy anyway because mine has been so badly destroyed, but if my iPhone 4 was still working perfectly, I'd hold off. No big deal.

Phycoduck

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2008
Are we seeing the beginning of the end with Apple?

So far Apple is late with the iPhone and iPod updates, Not to mention IOS 5. Originally I thought Apple was waiting for Steve Jobs to return to work before announcing new products, but we now missed 2 keynotes with no reason why.

The Last updates was Lion (which I can’t find any apple magic), and spec updates for Air’s and Mini’s.

I wonder if this is history repeating itself. I wonder the iPhone 4 and iPad 2 will be the last Magic products apple will ever produce.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
There are gonna be A LOT of pissed off people (myself included), if the iPhone 5 isn't a significant revamp.

You don't "revamp" a device just for the sake of revamping it. The iPhone 4 design is absolutely beautiful, the screen simply can't be beat, the device is solid, and I don't see a need to make it any thinner or lighter. And this is the first phone that I've ever had that after over a year of using shows almost no signs of wear or use at all. The hardware design itself is stellar.

At this point, the only thing I can think of needing from Apple for my iPhone is OS and ecosystem improvements (like iOS5 and iCloud are doing), LTE (with good battery life), and of course you can never have enough RAM. I think even adding the A5 processor would be unnecessary unless they underclock it heavily. I would much prefer getting better battery life as there is nothing I need to do on my phone that requires more processor than what it does now at the expense of battery life. I have a computer and iPad for that. :)

Not really sure why people want some radical new design just for the sake of having some radical new design. And I don't think Apple operates like that. There would have to be a real reason for it that actually adds to the usefulness of the device.

Last edited:

patorioto

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2011
I get the feeling Apple is just doing a better job of keeping things under wraps this time... there is no way they would wait this long to just put in an A5 and not even update the body. Why would ANYONE, especially the average consumer, buy a phone like this instead of the 4?

If it happens to be true that's alright as I'm just holding off to see whether the new phone will be worth it or not, but I can't see this being true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.