Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Noooooo!!!!

I know it's a rumor site, but please...NO MORE! It will have a 4" display, it won't have a 4" display. It will be completely different from the iPhone 4, it will be the same as the iPhone 4.

We won't know until it's released; it's that simple! :p

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Ah yes I am being proved right more and more in my guesses, that the next iPhone will be an iPhone 4S.
But why in the hell do we STILL have a glass back? I bet it will still not be scratch proof so that lovely new camera will have scratches in no time plus it just adds to making the phone the weight of a brick!
Common, be sensible and make it plastic or liquid metal? I'm hoping for one or the other.

Schmitty11

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2011
I will buy into this one. While I admit 16 months is a very long time, the 3Gs was almost similar to that of the 3G. I expect that with the 4s or 5, same design as iPhone 4. It's way too good to change, IMO. I expect to see a major change with iPhone 6 in 2012. They will sell phones either way, you know, being the most popular phone in the world and all. I personally care more about the internals of the phone, not "do I have something so thin that if I drop it it will desinigrate" I compare it to Apple's computers. Not as big of a market, but they keep designs for a few years. Im locked in a contact anyway, so what ever happens won't affect me, I'm just getting tired of everyone whiny because they want their phones to be thinner than paper. Also, I love the 3.5" screen...

wolfshades

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto, Ontario Canada
If true, Apple is making my next decision *very* easy. I have a 3GS iPhone right now, and resisted buying the iPhone 4 because there was no increase in storage. Was waiting for the iPhone5, hoping they would provide a 64 GB edition.

In the meantime, the 3GS usage has gone down, now that I have an iPad to work with. The iPHone right now is just about functioning solely as an MP3 player and not much else. So why pay for data and phone rates if I'm hardly using it? Better to go with a full-on MP3 player and get a cheapie pay-as-you-go cellphone.

SirHaakon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2007
Well, I, like everyone else on here, have been eagerly awaiting to see the "new" iPhone. However, I can pick up my iPhone 4 right now, look at it, and still feel mesmerized by it. It's truly beautiful.
I completely agree. The iPhone 4 looks so much nicer than the previous three generations; to go back to that old style would be a huge step in the wrong direction. I think a 4" screen would be awfully nice, as well as the usual hardware spec bumps, but it's already close to being a perfect device.

FoxHoundADAM

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Oklahoma
A "spec bump" for apple's flagship device after the current version has been on the market for 18 months seams like fianancial suicide. If this really is the "new" phone then Google, HTC and Samsung will be having a party come the first week of October.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Hope so. 64GB is the main thing I'd like to see in this upgrade - the iPod touch has had this for two years.

Considering the iPod touch has more space to work with inside (with the radios being a big space hog), I think we'll see 32 gigs for at least one generation, most likely at least two. LTE chips are currently big (which is why I don't think they'll be in this model) and the next gen LTE chips won't be a super huge cut in size.

64 gigs starting in 2013.

bkushner

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2011
That explains why the lost prototype has not surfaced. Someone who bought it thinks it is a non functional iPhone 4. This is bad news if true. Sometimes Apple's plays it too safe. I think this article may be true and the only reason it has been 16 months is due to icloud and ios5 being slow to roll out. This phone could have been released in April and will not be different from iPhone 4.

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
I hope this is true. I want to try to go a full 2 years on my contact and then compare each carrier to get the best deal when the iPhone 5 comes out. Apple please don't temp me with your wares.

Ding Ding Ding Winner.....Apple has to adopt the cell carriers model. A "New" phone every 2 years not every year. You have to be able to go the full 2 years. These Free or low cost upgrades that have been provided will not continue to work....so say hello to the iPhone 4S!

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
In my opinion...

This story/rumor is probably closer to the truth than most if not all others. The only thing that we have to speculate about a bigger iPhone5 is the case designs, and no offense, but that's pretty weak speculation. Every actual part we have seen is for a phone very similar in size to the current iPhone4.

I am guessing the new iPhone will be very similar in design and size to the current one, but it will have a faster processor, a higher-resolution camera, and of course the new iOS, which I think has been the reason for the longer release time. Apple not only wanted, but needed to get this iCloud service as perfect as they can, especially after the initial MobileMe disaster. Yes, I think the whole delay is based on software, not hardware.

Actually it's more like that stuff people put in Coffee. Half & Half. :apple:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
There is not a snowball chance in hell Apple will simply tack on more RAM and the A5 to the iPhone 4 and call it a day.

The iPhone 4 already has 512mb of Ram, so really were only talking about an A5 processor :(

I hope this doesn't come to pass, and we do indeed get a new iPhone 5 with a 4" screen - but it's looking increasingly unlikely. The only hardware we've seen sneak onto rumor sites over the last couple of months all seem to back up the iPhone 4S style - rather than a new model completely.

That being said - if true and all were getting is a 8 megapixel camera and an A5 processor - WTF took Apple so long to offer this update ? Seriously....

For that reason alone - I'm hopeful of a newer model...

junkster

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
There's already 512MB in an iPhone 4.

Personally, I think the iPhone 4 is an incredible device: it's fast, it's stylish, it's beautiful. And most importantly, the app store ecosystem is thriving. Every time I buy a new app, it feels like I've bought new hardware specifically to run it.

I'm all for incremental improvements:

• Longer battery life (please don't negate this by putting a higher-power CPU in there; no one is complaining about the iPhone 4 being slow).
  • Anti-fingerprint coatings that last longer.
  • OS features and tweaks.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
A "spec bump" for apple's flagship device after the current version has been on the market for 18 months seams like fianancial suicide. If this really is the "new" phone then Google, HTC and Samsung will be having a party come the first week of October.

Yea, even though that 18 month old phone still outsells all the new HTC and Samsung stuff.

jreuschl

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Apple cannot have a blind eye to the success Android is having. Eventually it could be like the Mac. Popular, sure, but still a small part of the entire picture. Keeping the same screen size would be a huge mistake. They cannot assume that the iPhone will sell as well just because it is an iPhone.

Make 2 models with different screen sizes if they feel some will not like the bigger screen.

Sollus

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2011
South East Ohio
I've been using a busted a** 3gs (shattered screen) for the last 2 months in the hopes of making it last till the new iPhone launched. Some lady spilled her drink on it this weekend and its now totally fried.

If the new iPhone is nothing but an internal upgrade i guess i could just get a 4 and call it a day.

OR BETTER YET! Go snatch a Galaxy S II, looks like an iPhone has the screen size i wanted out of the new iPhone, and is basically running iOS 5. Too bad i've spent so much money on an iTunes music collection, i guess im a sucker.

That's my problem as well. I have a few iTunes albums that I really don't feel like burning to a cd and ripping back to mp3s. I haven't really bought a lot of expensive apps so that could be worse. Except for Logmein Ignition and a few other apps around the $5 range. So in that respect, Apple has me cornered I suppose. The Galaxy S II does look really nice too. I just really think the current iPhone design is ugly. I know, I'm in the very small minority on that one.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Well, this would be a snoozer.

I thought there was some talk of them using the iPhone 4 as a chassis for working protos, because it was the roomiest, which allows them to keep the final form under wraps til the last minute.

I also thought there was talk that they'd be offering a low-end model based on the iPhone 4 platform, closely spec'd, and that there'd be a new whizbang upper end model that'd be tapered and round and smooth and shoot lasers and make hot tea and whatnot.

To call it the iPhone 5 if it's exactly the same as the iPhone 4 with a speed bump, doesn't follow with how they've named other products.

I wouldn't make any definite purchase decisions based on any of the rumors or incomplete leaks you read on this site.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
And with all of Apple's insane security - the Sprint guy would know. Right! :rolleyes:

Of course he knows. He works behind the counter AND he has a Sprint name badge. If that doesn't drip "authoritative source" from the pores I don't know what would. :D

Other people in the know - Anyone with access to the Internet, a scriptwriter and a teleprompter, Sherlock Holmes' great, great, great niece, Napoleon Dynamite, and "the fly" on the wall.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
How do they actually install the OS fast and efficient on millions of units?

You have to keep in mind that it's different than when you install an update. Without having to have any regard for settings, it's not so much if an instillation process as a copy and paste process.

I would imagine they probably have huge docking bays on the assembly line that the phone dock into. Don't forget, each device gets testing before it's boxed and ship. (verify display and boot, etc.) and this could all be done at one time and further speed the process. Granted, I'm speculating but it seems most logical. Apple apparently doesn't like cameras in the facilities the manufacture their wares, because I've looked ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.