Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Developments continue to arise on regular basis in the patent disputes between Apple and a number of Android handset manufacturers, with individual lawsuits seeing regular status updates and new suits being filed in countries around the world. Here is an update on a few of today's developments:

motorola_apple_samsung_logos.jpg

- Apple requests stay of Motorola lawsuits: FOSS Patents reports that Apple has requested a stay of a pair of lawsuits involving Motorola Mobility, claiming that the pending acquisition of Motorola by Google has resulted in Motorola losing its standing to sue. Apple requests that the suits be stayed until the acquisition is resolved, noting that the merger agreement prohibits Motorola from pursuing its patent rights without Google's consent and that Google itself currently has no rights to the patents in question.

- Samsung sues over iPad and iPhone in France: AFP reports that Samsung has taken its legal battle with Apple to France, where it has filed suit alleging infringement of three patents by the iPad and iPhone.
A source familiar with the complaint said it concerns three Samsung patents concerning UMTS, which is one type of so-called third generation mobile phone technology.

The complaint targets Apple's iPhone 3G and 3GS and iPhone4 smartphone models, and first and second-generation iPads that are mobile phone capable, added the source.
- Samsung appeals in Germany: Unsurprisingly, The Wall Street Journal reports that Samsung has officially appealed the injunction barring it from selling or promoting the Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet in Germany. The company has yet to offer a basis for its appeal, and is presumably working diligently toward preparing its full filings for the court.

Article Link: Apple Requests Stay of Motorola Patent Suits as Samsung Sues in France, Appeals in Germany

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
All of the lawsuits are sickening. 2012 is going to be one helluva year for the results of these lawsuits.

Duzer

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2010
I agree, its the whole battle of HEY YOU SUED ME FOR THIS SO I'M GONNA SUE YOU FOR THIS or HEY I SAW THAT FIRST. i don't think there has been a time in the past 3-5 years that there hasn't been a time of rest or pause between lawsuits. It's makes it seem like they legal departments of companies just get bored and spin a big wheel to see which company to sue next

danthespaceman

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Mac Rumors needs a separate page for 'Patent Disputes'.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
All of the lawsuits are sickening. 2012 is going to be one helluva year for the results of these lawsuits.

I'm torn on this. On one hand patent law (as well as other types of IPR) appears to be behind the times; in some ways it strikes me as archaic.

On the other hand, it is what it is and that's the game to be played:

"We can sit by and watch competitors steal our patented inventions, or we can do something about it. We've decided to do something about it. We think competition is healthy, but competitors should create their own original technology, not steal ours." - S. Jobs

It's not like Apple hasn't totally telegraphed their intentions to protect their IPR.

kironin

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2004
Texas
I second the idea for a separate "Patent Disputes" page.

This stuff is mostly like slowing down to view a car crash.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I agree, its the whole battle of HEY YOU SUED ME FOR THIS SO I'M GONNA SUE YOU FOR THIS or HEY I SAW THAT FIRST. i don't think there has been a time in the past 3-5 years that there hasn't been a time of rest or pause between lawsuits. It's makes it seem like they legal departments of companies just get bored and spin a big wheel to see which company to sue next

Actually, there are very big strategic moves afoot here. It's not random at all.

What you achieve in one suit can set you up for a favorable outcome in other subsequent suits.

Conversely, a mis-step can place your entire strategy at risk.

atomwork

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2001
Miami Beach
If someone steals the IP he should get sued. Goes for any company here. It's a farce of Google is playing the game right now to purchase patents to counter problem their vendors have. If Samsung wouldn't copy / steal so obvious Apple might never had to sue.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Good luck, Samsung. So far nothing against Apple has stuck. Meanwhile your lawyers are busy digging up old movie props as evidence and losing injunction cases.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Apple are the son of the devil....

No Motorola have no right to sue.....

Google are weak and chickens.....

You are wrong.....

No you are wrong........

Samsung copied Apple........

No Apple are just greedy........

Apple revolutionised gaming though.....

Oh shut up you tool........

Apple innovate and everyone else copy's......

Sigh......

And so on and on and on and on and on and on and on.... this thread will go...

I can't be arsed with this one, had enough in the last thread, in fact that's on page 2 isn't it?

We should run a daily book, who sues who today, place your bets...!!

tmroper

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
Palo Alto
On one hand patent law (as well as other types of IPR) appears to be behind the times; in some ways it strikes me as archaic.

It is indeed archaic, but by design. The whole litigation system is based on precedent—the way things were decided in prior disputes from prior eras. In theory, if you’re bold enough, I suppose you could even cite cases involving the Magna Carta. It's interesting that it's even able to deal with the current world.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I will tell my son to study for IP lawyer, it seems a bright future

IP law has been one of the best legal fields to pursue for a very long time now.

Problem is it can be amazingly boring. However it is also amazingly lucrative.

----------

Yeah everyone started copying Apple when Apple turned the entire mobile phone market on its head as an outsider.

It is very clear what happened.

A mature industry got caught with its pants down by an outside company and were totally at a loss for how to compete in a normal way, so they just stole.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
1. Daily Patent Lawsuit News Item
2. Competition is called a patent troll
3. Post is down voted
4. Apple should just buy ___ out and settle this
5. Post is up voted
6. back and forth repetition of every other patent thread
7. Rinse/Repeat

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Requesting the stay until the purchase is complete at least makes sense, since continuing to try the case will be a waste of the court's time until then.

This would allow Apple and Google a bit of time to arrange a cross-licensing agreement that would allow both to save face and continue their current product development. Not that it's likely to happen.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Requesting the stay until the purchase is complete at least makes sense, since continuing to try the case will be a waste of the court's time until then.

This would allow Apple and Google a bit of time to arrange a cross-licensing agreement that would allow both to save face and continue their current product development. Not that it's likely to happen.

Or it's a way for Apple to go-to-market and capture as much marketshare as they can before they are potentially either prevented from doing so - or they have to pay licensing fees.

rom3oOSX

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
This is soo stupid. Apple get into ur own business. Go MOTO, Go Google. Apple fck ur self

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

Or it's a way for Apple to go-to-market and capture as much marketshare as they can before they are potentially either prevented from doing so - or they have to pay licensing fees.

OR.

Motorola actually has no right to sue at this point in time due to the alleged agreement.

Making the whole thing moot until the merger happens.
Which could take two years.

That's a huge savings because I'm guessing IP lawyers for these tech giants are paid well.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
1. Daily Patent Lawsuit News Item
2. Competition is called a patent troll
3. Post is down voted
4. Apple should just buy ___ out and settle this
5. Post is up voted
6. back and forth repetition of every other patent thread
7. Rinse/Repeat
Maybe you should do an actual count. My impression is there are more posts against Apple in all these patent lawsuit threads than for. And similar post ratings numbers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.