Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipad_2_box.jpg
Research firm IDC today released the results of its study of worldwide tablet and eReader shipments for the second quarter of 2011, and while the tablet market has changed dramatically in the nearly three months since the quarter ended, the data still offers an interesting look at Apple's performance in the market. According to the study, Apple rode the strength of the iPad 2 launch to capture over 68% of total worldwide tablet shipments for the quarter, up from 65% in the previous quarter.
Worldwide media tablet shipments in the second quarter were driven by continued robust demand for Apple's iPad 2, which saw shipments reach 9.3 million units, representing a 68.3% share of the worldwide market (up from 65.7% the previous quarter). Research in Motion entered the media tablet market in 2Q11 with its PlayBook product, grabbing a 4.9% share of the market. Apple's strength and RIM's entrance meant bad news for Android-based media tablets, which saw its collective share slip to 26.8%, down from 34.0% the previous quarter.
IDC predicts that Android's share will continue to shrink during the third quarter due to continued iPad strength and a flood of $99 sales of HP's discontinued TouchPad, but that Android will begin to regain share during the fourth quarter of the year as new models come to market.
"Apple's iOS share will continue to lead by more than 40 percentage points over Google's Android for the remainder of the year, but we expect Apple's share to fall closer to 50% by the end of the forecast period as manufacturers bring new tablets to market," said Jennifer Song, research analyst, Worldwide Trackers.
It is important to note that IDC's studies track shipments from manufacturers into their distribution channels, and by most accounts Apple's lead is even stronger when looking at sales to end users. Whereas Apple has repeatedly said that it is selling essentially every iPad it can make, a number of other vendors have seen their shipments into the channel languish amid low consumer demand.

Still, IDC is impressed by the total tablet shipments seen for the second quarter, which saw 88.9% growth over the previous quarter and 303% year-over-year growth. As a result, IDC has boosted its estimates for 2011 from 53.5 million units to 62.5 million units overall.

Article Link: Apple's iPad Tops Worldwide Tablet Market in 2Q11 with 68% of Shipments

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
More iPad-kicking-butt news? Always welcome. :)

Hopefully Apple doesn't try to stomp out all of the competition in the way they are with Samsung. Not cool, and not helpful to consumers.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
What on earth are the other 32% buying?

Serious question? There's fantastic competition out there. Between devices coming in 2012 that look very promising and current competitors like the Samsung Tab and Moto Xoom, there's choice aplenty. Granted, it's poor choice, but it's choice nonetheless. :p

32% of people just don't realize how uncool they are, man.
(snaps fingers a la beatnick, sipping espresso...)

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
...but that Android will begin to regain share during the fourth quarter of the year as new models come to market.

BS. Android is not going to regain share in the fourth quarter. They are going to lose more to iPad 2 holiday sales (and possible iPad 3 rumors).

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Shipped is not equal to sold.

Most iPad wannabe are not sold but stuffed in retailer inventory channel.

interrobang

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2011
And the other 32% includes
- Unsold units shipped but gathering dust on store shelves
- HP Touchpads sold at below manufacturing cost
- $100 Chinese knockoffs sold at Walgreens

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Didn't Apple hold something like 90%+ of the market in the last quarters of 2010 ? http://www.businessinsider.com/ipad-share-2011-3. The 65% market share figure is from Q2 2010, the quarter where the iPad was introduced (so they didn't have a full quarter of sales, and shipments are never as big for new products than established ones).

It seems like being back to 68% is a sharp decline for Apple from their results in Q3 and Q4 of 2010. This means what we all knew would happen : The tablet market will be a competitive arena after all where all OSes/platforms get a chance to catch the consumer's eye.

That's a good thing. No one wants a repeat of the stagnation that occurred because of Microsoft's monopoly over the PC industry.

Closeouts evidently, and HP handily owns that market!

And the other 32% includes

- HP Touchpads sold at below manufacturing cost

These numbers are from Q2 2011, the HP TouchPad wasn't even released at that point. Pay attention before commenting.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Shipped is not equal to sold.

Most iPad wannabe are not sold but stuffed in retailer inventory channel.
Quoted for truth. every one of that 68% is sold. How many of the remaining 32% actually ends up as sales to end users? And how many of that 32% is sold at a heavily discounted at a loss just to get rid of the dead stock?

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
It is important to note that IDC's studies track shipments from manufacturers into their distribution channels, and by most accounts Apple's lead is even stronger when looking at sales to end users. Whereas Apple has repeatedly said that it is selling essentially every iPad it can make, a number of other vendors have seen their shipments into the channel languish amid low consumer demand.

Maybe in the US, certainly not here in Europe. In every store that I go, they have as many iPads in their shelves as they have Android tablets on stock. You also don't see that many iPads in the wild as Apple wants us to believe. In fact, you don't see any tablets at all in the wild -- but since those devices have no real world use cases, that is hardly surprising. You can see tons of iPhones and Galaxy S phones here, though.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
It seems like being back to 68% is a sharp decline for Apple from their results in Q3 and Q4 of 2010. This means what we all knew would happen :

That there's a lot of non-Apple tablets sitting on shelves and in crates that are unsold.

The numbers are for shipments, not sales. It's right in the article title.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
IDC is simply wrong about the HP Touchpad. Supplies dried up one day after they reduced the price to $99. Real buyers cannot get it and even if they ever can again, it will be at a different price and with an ecosystem that HP has up for sale or trade.

As for Apple having x% of shipments, yes, but remember a large fraction of shipments of all other pad styles remain in inventory unsold.

In sales and retail, sell-through is the deal. It may shock most people to know that most things on the shelves of Wal-mart or Best Buy are actually on a variation of consignment.

Rocketman

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Maybe in the US, certainly not here in Europe. In every store that I go, they have as many iPads in their shelves as they have Android tablets on stock. You also don't see that many iPads in the wild as Apple wants us to believe.

I'm not sure what Apple "wants us to believe" beyond their own numbers, which are impressive enough for them to advertise. And that's in sales. Which were 9.25 million iPads in the June quarter alone.

The iPad has been on sale since 3 April 2010, encompassing five reported quarters. Apple has released iPad sales for each of those quarters (in millions): 3.27, 4.19, 7.33, 4.69, and for the just-completed quarter ending in June, 9.25.

That’s 28.73 million iPads sold.

By comparison here:

http://daringfireball.net/2011/07/ipad_dominance

Round that up to an even 1 percent to be generous, multiply by 135 million devices, and you get 1.35 million (Android) tablets.

So there really isn't a whole lot of the also-rans' tablets to go around in the first place, which probably means you won't see a whole lot of them in Europe anyway. And at least in Germany, for the time being, there's an "availability issue" with Samsung tablets.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Didn't Apple hold something like 90%+ of the market in the last quarters of 2010 ? http://www.businessinsider.com/ipad-share-2011-3. The 65% market share figure is from Q2 2010, the quarter where the iPad was introduced (so they didn't have a full quarter of sales, and shipments are never as big for new products than established ones).

Yeah, I thought that was odd too; I thought I remembered the iPad market share being at least in the high 80s%.

Still, even 69% market share in such a quickly growing market is a great figure. The snowball keeps on rolling.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Ah, didn't see "shipments."

I've seen one android tablet in the wild and that was a 7" galaxy tab at the airport last Thursday.

CPD_1

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
South East Texas
As someone who flies a lot, I have to say that my personal experience suggests that shipped numbers have virtually 0% reflection of sold numbers.

Monday, I did an informal glance around my red-eye flight. 12 iPads, 8 laptops, countless phones and kindles. Not a single GalaxyTab, TouchPad, Xoom, or also-ran/Chinese knockoff.

In the last dozen flights I've been on, I could count on one hand (but I'd only need half my thumb and index finger) the number of non-iPad tablets I've seen.

I'm not arguing the quality of these products. I've held them. I've played with them. They aren't worthless, they just aren't as polished or supported.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007

Your mixing up market share (units own) with shipped units (maybe sold/maybe not sold). Companies are making and shipping tablets, but people are not buying them. Which is why Apple has 90% market share.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.