Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
I'm constantly seeing iPads in schools, doctors' offices and even my optometrist had many throughout his office. I owned iPad and sold it to get iPad 2. There're everywhere. It's been great to see them go from 0 sold back in January 2010 at its introduction to the billion-dollar business it's become for Apple in just 1.5 years. Phenomenal.

And then there are the "also rans"...

I have only seen them at Best Buy. I have never seen another tablet in the wild. Ever. I know they're there. But people must keep them home because I just don't ever see them.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
In the past 6 months I have seen them all over the UK, France, Germany, Australia and China. I spent 4 weeks during that time in Europe and saw them in use every single day. Perhaps you need to get out more.

----------

I am not sure this study includes e-readers.

Who said anything about a study. I'm talking my experience which was a direct retort the the poster before me who said he doesn't see any non-iPads out in the wild.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Admittedly I thought they had a bigger lead but then I saw the standard being used:

"It is important to note that IDC's studies track shipments from manufacturers into their distribution channels, and by most accounts Apple's lead is even stronger when looking at sales to end users. Whereas Apple has repeatedly said that it is selling essentially every iPad it can make, a number of other vendors have seen their shipments into the channel languish amid low consumer demand."

I think its a bit disingenious to be rating by shipments

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Who said anything about a study. I'm talking my experience which was a direct retort the the poster before me who said he doesn't see any non-iPads out in the wild.

I haven't seen any either. Only in stores and on TV. Not even at Starbuck's, and I have been to several already.

What I see more and more in the wild are MacBook Air and iPads. And of course all kinds of other Notebooks, some huge, some small; no Netbooks.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I haven't seen any either. Only in stores and on TV. Not even at Starbuck's, and I have been to several already.

What I see more and more in the wild are MacBook Air and iPads. And of course all kinds of other Notebooks, some huge, some small; no Netbooks.

Again - your experience.

My wife takes the MTA to and from CT and sees a LOT of netbooks.

I guess it all depends on where you live. And like everything - mileage may vary. This mistake or misnomer to perpetuate is those who insist that no one has them. It's simply a lie or wishful thinking.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Admittedly I thought they had a bigger lead but then I saw the standard being used:

"It is important to note that IDC's studies track shipments from manufacturers into their distribution channels, and by most accounts Apple's lead is even stronger when looking at sales to end users. Whereas Apple has repeatedly said that it is selling essentially every iPad it can make, a number of other vendors have seen their shipments into the channel languish amid low consumer demand."

I think its a bit disingenious to be rating by shipments

I that was the case, then Apple would get a much higher percentage.
We all know that until recently, Apple has been shipping barely enough iPads to supply the demand. Every single iPad they ship gets sold (with the exception of the Verizon ones... LOL).
Apple is smart enough to avoid loosing money by overstocking.

The others, ship a lot, but sell few, which later end up at Tiger Direct for less than half the original price.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
That's your experience. On the Subway commute to work here in NYC - I see everything. Kindles, iPads, Xooms, Tabs, Sony e-Readers - you name it.
I see a lot of Kindles and Sony e-Readers here in the SF Bay Area (BART, Caltrain, MUNI), just no non-iPad tablets.

That said, there is probably little sell through of non-iPad tablets to consumers. Or, the return rate of these devices is astonishingly high (just like netbooks).

On the latter point, netbook sightings have dropped down to nearly zero. I still see one or two a week, down from the daily sightings from a couple of years ago.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Worldwide tablet market means more than 50% shipments originated by US.

It's like saying that basketball t-shirts tops worldwide market of sport clothes. However, we know that this is true mainly because of US economy and because basketball is very popular there. Probably, basketball t-shirts shipments are negligible outside US comparing to soccer ones.

Ok, iPad is a leader in tablet market, but what will happen when tablet becomes popular outside US? Apple would keep its performance worldwide?

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Again - your experience.

My wife takes the MTA to and from CT and sees a LOT of netbooks.

I guess it all depends on where you live. And like everything - mileage may vary. This mistake or misnomer to perpetuate is those who insist that no one has them. It's simply a lie or wishful thinking.

True... I've never taken the MetroRail and it's been over two decades since I rode a bus here in South Florida, so I wouldn't be able to disagree with you.

Of course, people who can afford Starbuck's could also afford an iPad or MacBook Air, and may not easily settle for a Netbook.

Off the record, my sister bought two Netbooks(against my advice); one already broke, the other one is having problems. That's the cost of 'saving' money by buying the cheap devices.

----------

In the past 6 months I have seen them all over the UK, France, Germany, Australia and China. I spent 4 weeks during that time in Europe and saw them in use every single day. Perhaps you need to get out more.

----------

I am not sure this study includes e-readers.

If it did, then the study would be flawed. It would be like grouping together shipments of Laser Pointers and Flashlights.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Who knows? :confused:

It's almost as bad as including the iPad in with Mobile PCs. ;)

The latter is completely understandable, and given post-PC era realities, it makes sense.

e-readers however, are single-function devices that suffer from serious App-Lack™. There is no comparison with tablets that function as mobile computers (i.e., the iPad.)

kdarling

macrumors P6
Whereas Apple has repeatedly said that it is selling essentially every iPad it can make, a number of other vendors have seen their shipments into the channel languish amid low consumer demand.

When Apple says they're selling almost every one they can make, they simply mean commitments and deliveries to stores, just the same as every other company reports.

Not really. All this means is that competitors are shipping a lot of tablets. Sales numbers would be necessary for that conclusion. Something that we have from Apple and no one else significant.

As you've probably figured out by now from other posts here, Apple doesn't report end user sales either. People can only guess at those.

I do believe that a lot of stores tried to jump on the tablet craze and ordered too many Android and WebOS devices last quarter.

That's why we'll have a better idea of how end user sales are going, when we get reports from the next couple of quarters. Stores will only order more devices if they're actually selling.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
When Apple says they're selling almost every one they can make, they simply mean commitments and deliveries to stores, just the same as every other company reports.

Expect that isn't what Apple meant

----------

The latter is completely understandable, and given post-PC era realities, it makes sense.

e-readers however, are single-function devices that suffer from serious App-Lack™. There is no comparison with tablets that function as mobile computers (i.e., the iPad.)

You can install Android on the Nook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.