Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

unreal_engine_mac.jpg

As noted by Joystiq, Epic Games yesterday announced that its Unreal Engine 3 development kit (UDK) beta has now been updated to include Mac support. The development means that all games developed using the UDK can now be ported over to OS X.
UDK games can now run on Mac OS

- Every UDK game's potential user base has increased dramatically yet again
- September 2011 UDK contains a preview of our Mac OS support
Unreal Engine 3 was brought to iOS nearly two years ago, where it has seen some success with the likes of Infinity Blade. On a broader level, Unreal Engine 3 has been used by Epic for its own games such as its Gears of War series and Unreal Tournament 3, but has also been adopted by a number of other major gaming companies for use in their own offerings.

Article Link: Unreal Engine 3 Comes to the Mac Platform

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Tis wonderful news, now lets hope those publisher contracts aren't so stingy that they forbid OSX ports!

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
To all my friends who say I can't play games on my Mac...

You are wrong yet again! :D

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Hopefully they've been optimizing the engine.

Love the original Unreal game on Mac.

Actually a Mac can play more games than a PC, because a Mac can run both platforms easily.

beg_ne

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
Good work Epic. Next step, lets see some releases of your games. Bulletstorm?

Next step after that get the UDK tools working natively on OS X!

KaneBaker

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2009

Actually a Mac can play more games than a PC, because a Mac can run both platforms easily.

It just can't run them as well with the video cards. My imac 27" i7 does ok with SC2 at 1920x1080, the frame rate is too low for my liking at native res.
For Diablo 3 i have to go to 1600x900 no AA to get a decent frame rate.
I'm thinking of picking up a lil PC for some gaming. For $900 i can get something that will blow this out of the water with an SSD to help it along. If i pick a displayport model i should be able to use my imac as a monitor.

smountcastle

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
Does this mean we can develop on Mac OS X?

This is great news! I look forward to all of the new games coming to Mac OS X.

With the previous versions of the UDK you needed a Windows machine to develop games for iOS. Does this change mean that we can now ditch our VMs and develop on Mac OS X?

saxofunk

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2006
Denver, CO
Steam?

Let's hope those titles I already own on Steam just automagically start working on my macs! Really REALLY miss the original UT - I even had the unofficial OS X port on my PowerBook.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Let's hope those titles I already own on Steam just automagically start working on my macs! Really REALLY miss the original UT - I even had the unofficial OS X port on my PowerBook.

Wouldn't it only work with UE3 games that have been recompiled to work under OS X?

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
Next step after that get the UDK tools working natively on OS X!
Since UDK can't run in OS X I wonder how the Mac support works. Has Epic managed to replicate the OS X toolchain and SDK in Windows so that you can compile and output a Mac compatible app in Windows or does it just output an XCode project that you then need to transfer to OS X and compile there?

saxofunk

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2006
Denver, CO
Wouldn't it only work with UE3 games that have been recompiled to work under OS X?

Yes, like UT3, and GoW, etc. One would of course have to do fresh installs to any Mac, but with Steam Play, you're stats and progress would migrate cross-platform. That is IMO the advantage of Steam over something like the Mac App Store. Not even iCloud is going to sync game stats, or app settings, that sort of thing. iCloud already seems like an infantile online backup, but I'm off topic. Let's hope this ushers in more development on the Mac with the Mac App Store providing easy distribution...

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Well I don't want any old games coming out on the Mac. Why would I? I want to see NEW releases on it, but then again they won't run very well.

I'll stick to my consoles, I don't want to see Gears Of War 3 on a Mac or a PC. It's a 360 game IMO.

But it is funny to read comments about people wanting 3 or 4 year old games released on a mac now!! :eek:

At least Mac Rumors can correctly state which games have used the UDK, unlike 9to5mac which in it's version of the story hasn't got a clue and states Rage HD was made on the UDK :eek: :eek: :D :D :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This site goes up, that other site is dropping like a brick, in regards to reputation and journalism.

Last edited:

fxtech

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008

Have you tried playing a game like these on your Mac? If you have a Mac laptop, you'll have to wear headphones to drown out the fan and if you're on battery you'll be lucky to get an hour of play time. And don't forget your flame retardant undergarments.

drumrobot

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2009
Ut3

Here's hoping Unreal Tournament 3 will be ported over... it'd be awesome to play that on a new 27 inch iMac :D

fxtech

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
Since UDK can't run in OS X I wonder how the Mac support works. Has Epic managed to replicate the OS X toolchain and SDK in Windows so that you can compile and output a Mac compatible app in Windows or does it just output an XCode project that you then need to transfer to OS X and compile there?

The UDK doesn't run on XBOX either and somehow they manage to get console games ported over.

slinky199

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011

If only Mac's have the hardware to take advantage of that fact.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.