Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Isn't that the same thing we were told in respects to Apple using desktop CPU's? Couldn't be done due to space and cooling, yet here we are with desktop CPU's in the iMac...

It was going to be one or the other. But if you look at the TDP of desktop GPUs relative to performance, any desktop GPU you put in there would have to be slower than the 6970m. What's the point in that?

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Awesome. Good to see they are starting to take Mac gaming a bit more serious lately.:)

I think that the frustrating thing for long-time Mac users who also game on them is that this doesn't represent Unreal's first foray into Mac gaming.

As Consultant noted, and is spot-on about, the very first Unreal was a native Mac port by Westlake, as was Unreal Tournament, its sequel. What DOES look different this time is that, by building the Mac OS tools into its development kit, the need for a third party porter to take notice of the game, and decide to do the job, is obviated. This would seem to have the side-effect of shortening the time to market for native Mac versions (assuming the game coders have Mac coders in house, or want to hire them).

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
It just can't run them as well with the video cards. My imac 27" i7 does ok with SC2 at 1920x1080, the frame rate is too low for my liking at native res.
For Diablo 3 i have to go to 1600x900 no AA to get a decent frame rate.
I'm thinking of picking up a lil PC for some gaming. For $900 i can get something that will blow this out of the water with an SSD to help it along. If i pick a displayport model i should be able to use my imac as a monitor.

But will that $900 handbuilt PC last for 10 years and still be productive? My Power Mac 8600 was bought by myself in 1997 - the year Steve came back. It still runs. I still use Illustrator on it. Will that $900 pc hold its value like a Mac (check ebay to see what older and classic Macs go for)?

Renzatic

Suspended
But will that $900 handbuilt PC last for 10 years and still be productive? My Power Mac 8600 was bought by myself in 1997 - the year Steve came back. It still runs. I still use Illustrator on it. Will that $900 pc hold its value like a Mac (check ebay to see what older and classic Macs go for)?

I've got a 7 year old Opteron 185 system that still runs great. It's kind of my old solid workhorse these days, and still runs Modo, Zbrush, and Photoshop surprisingly decently. Any PC he builds himself will probably do the same, as long as he uses quality parts, and doesn't go out and settle for something like a cheap ass e-machine equivalent.

Course it won't hold it's resale value like a Mac will. Nothing does. But all he wants is something to play games on for the next few years. It's not really a super long term investment he's making here.

Dario D.

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
This is great news. :)
Been wondering for quite a while when OSX support would come. (I assumed there was some nasty technical hurdle, or something.)

I hope Epic ports all of its finished UE3 games to Mac.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
This is great news. :)
Been wondering for quite a while when OSX support would come. (I assumed there was some nasty technical hurdle, or something.)

I hope Epic ports all of its finished UE3 games to Mac.

I'm thinking probably something to do with money. :p

infinitybbc

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2011
UT3 FINALLY to OS X?!? :cool:

i HOPE SO!!! frankly, i still enjoy UT2k4, but i was hoping the UT community would continue to blossom.

though, it seems that several long time players didn't really care for UT3 so much. i played it on a friend's Windows machine after it came out, and i didn't like the change from Onslaught to Warfare.

that and i don't know why they just don't leave in some of the less popular game styles, like Bombing run (which is the most unique FPS games style i've ever played).

anyway, i just hope UT3 gets ported to OS X to keep the best FPS (IMHO) going! :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.