Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 23, 2011, 02:48 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Comcast Working on iPad TV Streaming Service Called AnyPlay

Comcast, the United States' largest cable and internet provider, is working on a television streaming solution for iPads, to compete with Cablevision and Time Warner. The streaming product was announced earlier this year, but details haven't been released until now.

The product, called AnyPlay, allows Comcast subscribers to view live television on their iPad as long as it's connected to their home network; users must have a special Motorola box which, apparently, takes the live cable stream and sends it directly to the Xfinity TV iPad app over a local wireless network. The service won't work over Wi-Fi from other locations, or via 3G.

Other solutions, like Time Warner's, stream live video over an internet connection. Comcast's AnyPlay appears to be a cable box that sends video to the iPad rather than to a television. Users can watch "most" channels included with their Xfinity TV service. Users can register up to 10 tablets, but only watch live TV on one tablet at a time.

Currently, Xfinity customers can use the Xfinity TV app to watch On Demand programming, search TV listings, and schedule DVR recordings.

There is no indication of release dates or availability, but AnyPlay will be available in limited markets at first, and spreading to all Comcast customers eventually.

Comcast previously used the "AnyPlay" name on an announced but never released product with Panasonic in 2008.

Article Link: Comcast Working on iPad TV Streaming Service Called AnyPlay
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 02:51 PM   #2
guru_ck
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to guru_ck
This is stupid. I don't want to watch TV on my iPad at Home, I'd turn on my television for that. And I'm definitely not replacing my Time Capsule with some craptastic Motorola Wi-Fi device.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 02:52 PM   #3
kirk26
macrumors 6502a

How does Apple fit into this?
Old Sep 23, 2011, 02:53 PM   #4
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

But if Apple does it it will be revolutionary.
AppleScruff1 is offline   -14 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 02:55 PM   #5
aindik
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk26 View Post
It's for iPads.

If I need to sign in to a separate wifi network for TV, separate from the network I use to access the internet, this is going to be a no go.
aindik is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 02:56 PM   #6
jlgolson
Editor

Send a message via AIM to jlgolson
Quote:
Originally Posted by guru_ck View Post
This is stupid. I don't want to watch TV on my iPad at Home, I'd turn on my television for that. And I'm definitely not replacing my Time Capsule with some craptastic Motorola Wi-Fi device.
I believe it's a box that plugs into your existing Wi-Fi network.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 02:57 PM   #7
iSee
macrumors 68040

Was excited when I saw the headline since I'm a Comcast subscriber and feel like the service is missing a lot of things (esp. considering the cost!)

But when I saw what it actually is...

I have no interest.
I don't want to watch live TV on my iPad (or Mac for that matter).
Geeze, I've got a couple of half decent TVs... why not watch on one of them, like I already can?

(not that there are not uses for this... there are... but it's a niche thing. I have higher hopes.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 02:59 PM   #8
nigo33
macrumors newbie

Quote:
why is it stupid? i have 1 TV, and share it with wife and lil kids.

or, how about the college kids who don't have a tv and share an apartment.

it doesnt say you have to replace anything.
nigo33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 03:00 PM   #9
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Um, how does this compete with Cablevision and Time Warner? None of them compete in the same areas.

As for Cablevision's app, it is awesome.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 03:01 PM   #10
nigo33
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSee View Post
Was excited when I saw the headline since I'm a Comcast subscriber and feel like the service is missing a lot of things (esp. considering the cost!)

But when I saw what it actually is...

I have no interest.
I don't want to watch live TV on my iPad (or Mac for that matter).
Geeze, I've got a couple of half decent TVs... why not watch on one of them, like I already can?

(not that there are not uses for this... there are... but it's a niche thing. I have higher hopes.
slingbox
nigo33 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 03:01 PM   #11
Farplaner
macrumors 6502

Even if you think it has no use for you, doesn't mean that the product is useless.
Farplaner is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 03:03 PM   #12
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

I used to love the TW app for the iPad. You could watch your favorite shows anywhere(ie bathroom lol) in your home. Nice to see other cable companies doing the same thing.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 03:03 PM   #13
MetalMoon
macrumors member

Might come in handle if the tv's in your house are all being used and you want to watch something different. Or if your in the bathroom. Maybe you want to cook breakfast and watch the news. It has some uses if you think about it.
MetalMoon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 03:03 PM   #14
RASTERMAN
macrumors newbie

OnlyPlay...

Poor choice of branding and a nearly useless service. Spend the money I send you monthly on developing a decent, flexable service that I can use when I'm away from home. THAT would add value.

The "AnyPlay" brand might be appropriate if we were able to play from "Anywhere" on "Anything" at "Anytime" but not on only one iPad at a time and only from home.

What they're apparently offering is really "OnlyPlay."

Cheers!

---RASTER
RASTERMAN is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 03:08 PM   #15
MattG
macrumors 68040

Assuming it's similar to the Motorola box I tried (and returned) with CenturyLink's Prism service...good luck with that.
MattG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 03:09 PM   #16
danielwsmithee
macrumors 6502a

You can pretty much already do exactly this with Elgato's EyeTV, though I assume Comcast's solution would work with encrypted channels.
danielwsmithee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 03:09 PM   #17
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
It's not a separate WiFi device. It's a new Cable box that has WiFi in it.

This would be great if person A is watching a show in one room and person B wants to watch a different program in room B and use Airplay to send it to their TV set.
It basically removes the cost of a second set-top box but I'm sure Comcast will charge for it.
Peace is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 03:10 PM   #18
kbmb
macrumors 68030

Bravo Comcast......by requiring a box to do this, you've guaranteed yourself another source of revenue.

No thanks.

-Kevin
Old Sep 23, 2011, 03:15 PM   #19
Pos7al
macrumors member

I think the box they are talking about would be an upgraded version of your existing HD box. This, going off of the fact that I have a motorola box at home as my set top.

They'll add the functionality, charge an extra $2 to rent it a month and call it a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post
Bravo Comcast......by requiring a box to do this, you've guaranteed yourself another source of revenue.

No thanks.

-Kevin
Pos7al is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 03:18 PM   #20
Doctor Q
Administrator

How long will it be before large numbers of consumers have cable TV service but no TV?
Old Sep 23, 2011, 03:19 PM   #21
wongster41
macrumors regular

Comcast should really increase the 250GB cap
wongster41 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 03:20 PM   #22
redkamel
macrumors 6502

Oh, so its like a slingbox,only worse. I wonder if anyone will even bother hacking it...kudos to Comcast for thinking ahead though. It will probably fail and they won't understand why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigo33 View Post
why is it stupid? i have 1 TV, and share it with wife and lil kids.

or, how about the college kids who don't have a tv and share an apartment.

it doesnt say you have to replace anything.
Wells, its aimed at people who already have cable and TV. If you dont have a TV, why would you buy this?

If you can afford cable, you can probably afford a TV. You can get a small LCD for a couple hundred dollars. A 60inch tv is now $600..still a hefty sum, but a few years ago a TV that size was a luxury for the very wealthy. You can get an old, giant,CRT or projection for cheap since people don't even want to move them.

And any college kid knows you are better off getting a 600 dollar 60 inchTV (~6 months of cable cost) and then hooking up your computer to it and watching hulu, youtube, netflix, torrented movies for a fraction of the cost. The only thing youd be missing is live sports.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 03:20 PM   #23
notromeel
macrumors regular

Right, so it's meant to allow me to watch TV while I'm on the john. I have a TV everywhere else.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 03:22 PM   #24
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmb View Post

No thanks.

-Kevin
Do you also say no thanks to all of Apple's additional revenue sources?
AppleScruff1 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2011, 03:22 PM   #25
Mad-B-One
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk26 View Post
It's an iPad app with new technology (even if it looks more like making old technology being used in new ways).

PS: When the Skype commercial leaked on YouTube for the new iPad version, it was worth a rumor - so why wouldn't this be?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion