Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Anywhere, Anytime...

As long as it's in your home where you already have TVs, and no other iPad is viewing it, and as long as it's live, and as long as it's one of the select shows on one of the select channels.

Right...

Meanwhile, most of the networks have their own apps for watching live or on demand as long as you're a Comcast (or other select) subscriber.

Is this really that hard?

Comcast, for the love of God, figure this out... Create a "network" app that features live and on demand channels of all the major networks. Allow this app to work on any network along with scaling down to 3G. Allow this app to work via AirPlay. Then, offer this app for existing customers, or allow new customers to sign up for the app service only.

What you'll find is that markets where someone else has the cable service, you're now able to penetrate, just like satellite, except, unlike satellite, cable, FiOS or other delivery, you don't have to pay for the dumb pipes.

time warner and cablevision require you to be on their ISP network in order to stream their live TV to the ipad app

----------

Traditional cable companies are still living in the 80s and 90s.
They really suck.
Why it is so difficult for them to offer a decent TV package, customized by the customer, you hand pick the channels that you do want to pay for and that's it.
All are full of infomercials and Ads that make them impossible to enjoy.
I only hope that Google or any newcomer makes a revolution and really changes the way this services are offered.
Netflix has the right model, however is still lacking some of the content, specially live events and sports.
YouTube is now offering cool things like live concerts and some pro-sports, for FREE!!! and no ADS!!!
As I type this I am watching Rock in Rio 2011 live via YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/rockinrio

Hulu+ has too many annoying Ads.
I hope the TV studios and Cable companies don't mess up with the few nice services that are currently out there.

all the channels are owned by companies that own more than one channel and only sell them as part of a package of channels

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Becoming a Comcast customer would be perfect today, but I already stabbed myself in the chest earlier, so I don't have to again.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Only 1/2 of Comcast's subscribers have Motorola boxes. This is an entirely useless app for those of us who are running Comcast issued Scientific Atlanta cable boxes.

edfore

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
Poor choice of branding and a nearly useless service. Spend the money I send you monthly on developing a decent, flexable service that I can use when I'm away from home. THAT would add value.

The "AnyPlay" brand might be appropriate if we were able to play from "Anywhere" on "Anything" at "Anytime" but not on only one iPad at a time and only from home.

What they're apparently offering is really "OnlyPlay."

Cheers!

---RASTER

I agree! I am a Comcast subscriber and would generally use this type app to watch TV when i am in the field (away from home). I have an under cabinet TV in the kitchen and have no use for one in the bathroom (usually doing other things in that room!). I'm sure this will be a FLOP.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
I wish I could use the current Comcast app that lets you change the channels, see the TV Guide, etc... but I can't'. Why? Because my area uses the Scientific Atlanta box with no option for having the Motorola box.

----------

Only 1/2 of Comcast's subscribers have Motorola boxes. This is an entirely useless app for those of us who are running Comcast issued Scientific Atlanta cable boxes.

And from what I was told.. we will never have them due to contracting or licensing or some other nonsense reason setup with the towns.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
*shrug* I'd have no use for this. Since you have to be connected to your home network to use it, it basically just means you can now use your iPad(s) as extra 10-inch TVs. Also, you have to be a subscriber to use it, so you're really not getting anything "free".

Better alternative: Use an EyeTV tuner with your mac to get over-the-air HD broadcasts or clear QAM cable channels from the cable company through which you get your broadband service. Then get the $5 iPad app and watch TV for free with DVR capability.

Sam Horton

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
TV epxerience on your iPAD

The one app i really liked on iPad was Film Festival TV app, its worldwide available i think, its free and has great TV like full couch mode experience. I am big fan of Discovery Networks and BBC Documentaries, and this Documentary Channel from Culture Unplugged just rocks, since the content is super fresh. It wired thru apple TV it may or may not work on your large screen, but when i connect via iPAD cable to TV works great. It is like live TV experience without Ads or commercials.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.