Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
Meh...

Kind of cool, but has a lot of limitations. I cant wait until 40+" flat panel displays with iMac internals adorn our walls. TV's are dying and big screen computers taking over. Cable needs to to come up with a new model.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
This service might be coming to my neighborhood because Comcast came through last week and installed some new cabling even though my area already gets 105Mb service.

They said it was for better Internet . Hmmm

Craiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
And AnyPlay will be free. *

*box will cost 8.99 per month to Rent + 2.99 for "other fees".

Thanks,
Comcast

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
While I do have Comcast, our market still uses DVRs from 2004. (They still say Scientific Atlanta on them.) I'm not optimistic about these features making their way to our market anytime soon.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
But if Apple does it it will be revolutionary.

As an Apple fan on an Apple-centric site, this shouldn't be a complaint of yours, or even sarcasm. It's Apple's way. Been this way for the better part of a decade.

Those who don't like it, usually don't hang around Apple forums to post about it.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
While I do have Comcast, our market still uses DVRs from 2004. (They still say Scientific Atlanta on them.) I'm not optimistic about these features making their way to our market anytime soon.

I have a few Motorola devices and Portland is often a testbed for new technology.

Actually can't wait to try this out.

Astro7x

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2010
I can see the appeal of this as long as I don't need to upgrade any equipment. There have been many of times where something has been on my DVR that I'd like to watch, but the wife is watching something else. And we only have 1 TV in the house.

Oh well... I've been successfully able to stream Dish Network from my brother's receiver using the iPad App and his account info. The Dish Network app is a little slow, but works great for being able to access your receivers live TV tuner or DVR list. It's been nice using it to watch out of market baseball games :D

aindik

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2011
I can see the appeal of this as long as I don't need to upgrade any equipment. There have been many of times where something has been on my DVR that I'd like to watch, but the wife is watching something else. And we only have 1 TV in the house.

You can't watch stuff from your DVR with this. Live TV only.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
As an Apple fan on an Apple-centric site, this shouldn't be a complaint of yours, or even sarcasm. It's Apple's way. Been this way for the better part of a decade.

Those who don't like it, usually don't hang around Apple forums to post about it.

It's quite sarcastic as I'm sure that all of those trashing the idea because it's
Comcast's would be cheering if it was Apple's. You'd be the first to reverse position. Been this way for a long time.

erinsarah

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Not stupid at all

This is stupid. I don't want to watch TV on my iPad at Home, I'd turn on my television for that. And I'm definitely not replacing my Time Capsule with some craptastic Motorola Wi-Fi device.

Not stupid at all. This is great for families. I have a wife and two kids, two iPads and one decent (i.e. large flat panel) TV. We're not really interested in another TV in the house, but frankly I find watching something on my iPad quite enjoyable, especially when the kids are filling the house with the droning mindlessness of the Disney Channel.

Add to that the fact that my ten-year-old for some odd reason loves watching movies on her iTouch. While the article doesn't seem to clearly state that it's iPad-only, regardless if she had the ability to watch Wizards of Waverly place over and over again without leaving her bedroom, we'd never see her again.

Now, the fact that I just switched to FIOS last week...hmm....

kk08053

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2008
why is it stupid? i have 1 TV, and share it with wife and lil kids.

or, how about the college kids who don't have a tv and share an apartment.

it doesnt say you have to replace anything.

College kids that don't have a tv probably don't have a cable tv account. Lol

jaycee520

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2009
This is stupid. I don't want to watch TV on my iPad at Home, I'd turn on my television for that. And I'm definitely not replacing my Time Capsule with some craptastic Motorola Wi-Fi device.

Exactly!! This is old tech....i could watch my HD cable channels in my iphone/Ipad at home and outside my local netwok using my EyeTV HD..LOL!!

jca24

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2010
DFW
And AnyPlay will be free. *

*box will cost 8.99 per month to Rent + 2.99 for "other fees".

Thanks,
Comcast

Wow, if those prices are correct no one will buy this. I have Time Warner cable and i got their app on my iPad (free). It works great and is kinda cool, but we really don't use it much, we have plenty of tv's. No way in hell I would pay for this service.

Eff you comcrap!

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
So its a sling box.
Who cares?

I want to be able to CHOOSE what I watch when I watch it not live TV.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
why is it stupid? i have 1 TV, and share it with wife and lil kids. or, how about the college kids who don't have a tv and share an apartment.
QUOTE]

If you have 1 TV, you'd be using it with your TV, not your iPad. If college kid doesn't have a TV, he likely doesn't have comcast either, so it won't work.

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
Unfortunately, this will require you have an XFinity TV box. It won't work with third party devices, like TiVo. The new XFinity DVR is sick, though. It's really a much better product than what TiVo currently has. The trick is that they deliver the compiled interface over the network connection, instead of doing the heavy lifting on the client (DVR.) Everything is stored in the cloud with a thin client.

RoccoFan

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Fantastic idea

I love this. It's hard for me to find the time to sit down and just watch something. If I do, it's just a matter of time before the wife and/or kids horn in on my time. Something like this would allow me to roam anywhere in the house. Right now, the only thing that comes close is the CNN app which works very well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.